D&D 5E Barkskin *Might* Be the Worst Spell Description I've Ever Read

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
All true. However, in the game one's AC determines whether you're going to take damage or not, so it's that threshold we need to look at.

Here I disagree. To put it in 3e terms, you're conflating touch AC with full AC.
5e doesn’t have a concept of touch AC. Even if we were to compare to touch AC in 3e, wearing heavy armor never increases your touch AC, and often decreases it. What I’m doing is interpreting where the challenge lies in overcoming a creature’s AC. The challenge is not in penetrating the armor, but in landing a blow in a spot that the armor does not cover. I guess you could call it “touch the squishy bits AC”, as opposed to 3e’s “touch anything on the creature’s person” AC.

Sure, Barkskin doesn't make the Druid any harder to touch but it does make the Druid harder to damage...which in most cases, if you're the Druid, is what really matters. :)
Right, in most cases. The case where it doesn’t matter is the case where the difficulty of hitting the Druid is equal to or higher than the difficulty of doing damage to the druid’s oaken flesh, both of which are represented by comparing the resultbof an attack roll against a target number - AC or 16, which ever is greater.

First off, everything has at least two AC values*, based on what the attacker is trying to accomplish. The one used most often is the AC vs. damage, but AC vs. touch or contact is also relevant even if the game system doesn't explicitly say so.

* - which can be the same but are usually different.
That’s just not ture of 5e at all.

The oak tree's AC isn't determining whether you can hit it or not, it's determining whether you'll damage it when you do. 5e doesn't have AC values less than 10 I don't think, but if it did an oak tree's touch AC would certainly be there: it's pretty easy to walk up to an oak tree and hit it with something. But it's not as easy to hit it hard enough to cause it any damage, hence the 17 AC or whatever it has.
Right, which is why I say that AC represents two different things, depending on if you’re attacking with a creature or an onject. An attack roll against a creature checks if your attack is precise enough to hit a vulnerable spot. An attack roll against an object checks if the attack is strong enough to damage the object. An attack roll against a creature with Barkskin unintuitively, checks both at once.

So if an oak tree's AC represents the does-it-take-damage threshold rather than the can-you-hit-it (or "touch") threshold, why would you define the Druid's (full) AC any differently?
Because the Druid is a creature. It’s AC is calculated differently than an object’s, and represents something different.

Charlaquin

Except barkskin is not an AC *modifying* effect; that has been the crux of the issue since the beginning of this thread. It's an AC *replacement* effect..

Tomato, tomhato, my point is that it’s unique among features that interact with AC, and that is what throws people off about it.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Counterpoint: It doesn't say that.
"You touch a willing creature. Until the spell ends, the target’s skin has a rough, bark-like appearance, and the target’s AC can’t be less than 16 [...]"

Okay, so the target's armour class can't be less than 16. Nothing specifies not getting bonuses from shields.

So let's look at other cases where things mention armour class.

Unarmored Defense: "While you are not wearing any armor, your Armor Class equals 10 + your Dexterity modifier + your [STAT] modifier."
Draconic Resilience: "When you aren’t wearing armor, your AC equals 13 + your Dexterity modifier."

And yet, shields work with those.

Which brings me back to the point that it's only a problem because they use "AC" to refer to both the number before modifiers, and after.

*Cough*

Stalker0

Legend
Unarmored Defense: "While you are not wearing any armor, your Armor Class equals 10 + your Dexterity modifier + your [STAT] modifier."
Draconic Resilience: "When you aren’t wearing armor, your AC equals 13 + your Dexterity modifier."

And yet, shields work with those.

Thanks for bringing these up. To which I would then point out, how come armor doesn't work with these? Apparantely my barbarian is super beef cake....except when he puts on armor?

Its the same concept as barkskin, just swapping shields for armor in this case.

the Jester

Legend
First off, everything has at least two AC values*, based on what the attacker is trying to accomplish. The one used most often is the AC vs. damage, but AC vs. touch or contact is also relevant even if the game system doesn't explicitly say so.

I'm not sure what you're referring to here- if you are asserting that 5e includes some kind of touch AC, you're incorrect. Otherwise, can you elaborate/clarify?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
5e doesn’t have a concept of touch AC. Even if we were to compare to touch AC in 3e, wearing heavy armor never increases your touch AC, and often decreases it. What I’m doing is interpreting where the challenge lies in overcoming a creature’s AC. The challenge is not in penetrating the armor, but in landing a blow in a spot that the armor does not cover. I guess you could call it “touch the squishy bits AC”, as opposed to 3e’s “touch anything on the creature’s person” AC.
We're still talking across each other here, I think.

Re: touch AC:

That’s just not ture of 5e at all.

the Jester said:
I'm not sure what you're referring to here- if you are asserting that 5e includes some kind of touch AC, you're incorrect. Otherwise, can you elaborate/clarify?
Even if 5e doesn't include it in the rules, the concept is still going to be present.

1. If all I'm trying to do is touch you - not damage you, just touch some part of you - but you're trying to avoid that touch, what AC am I rolling against and how does it get there?
2. If on the other hand I'm trying to hit you hard enough to damage you and (obviously) you're trying to avoid that hit, what AC am I rolling against and how does it get there?

The answer to 2. is obvious, as it's the AC value you use all the time in combat. But it won't be the same as the answer to 1. if you're wearing any armour; and this is the difference I'm trying to get at. If my AC is 15 and you roll 13 to hit me, you won't do any damage but chances are the DM is still going to narrate that the blow connected with me (probably my shield, as it missed by 2); where if you only roll a 3 to hit the chances are the resulting narration will involve the words "missed completely" in it somewhere.

Right, which is why I say that AC represents two different things, depending on if you’re attacking with a creature or an onject. An attack roll against a creature checks if your attack is precise enough to hit a vulnerable spot. An attack roll against an object checks if the attack is strong enough to damage the object. An attack roll against a creature with Barkskin unintuitively, checks both at once.
I think the unintuitive part is the very comparison you make here between a creature and an object; a comparison that simply isn't necessary. In both cases the to-hit roll (for game mechanics purposes) is most of the time checking whether you've hit well enough and-or hard enough to cause damage. If yes, roll damage. If no, it then becomes simply a narration question as to whether the swing missed completely, or connected but not hard enough for damage, or was blocked by a shield or by cover, or whatever.

But sometimes, e.g. when I've got a loaded shocking staff and all I need to do is touch you with it in order to deliver its shock, your armour and some other AC factors might not help you. In these cases, I'm rolling against a lower AC.

Because the Druid is a creature. It’s AC is calculated differently than an object’s, and represents something different.
Mechanically, in the game it represents exactly the same thing: how high an attacker's to-hit roll has to be in order to cause damage.

Stalker0

Legend
1. If all I'm trying to do is touch you - not damage you, just touch some part of you - but you're trying to avoid that touch, what AC am I rolling against and how does it get there?
2. If on the other hand I'm trying to hit you hard enough to damage you and (obviously) you're trying to avoid that hit, what AC am I rolling against and how does it get there?

The answer to 2. is obvious, as it's the AC value you use all the time in combat. But it won't be the same as the answer to 1.

I think this is where you are getting confused. The answer is yes they are the same. There is no such thing as touch AC in 5e.

Now there are certain circumstances that 5e uses other mechanics. For example grappling uses an opposed roll (there is no formal touch attack like there was in 3e, but obviously there is a touch component embedded in the check). Some things utilize a dex check. But at no point is modified AC utilized for "touching". Either you use your full AC....or a completely non AC mechanic.

Charlaquin

We're still talking across each other here, I think.

Re: touch AC:

Even if 5e doesn't include it in the rules, the concept is still going to be present.

There aren’t really any codified abilities that call for such a roll, so this would fall under the rules for improvising an action.

To perform the improvised action the DM will normally have you make an ability check. The DM will assign an appropriate difficulty class and will explain possible consequences if the attempted action fails. (...)

Most improvised actions can be resolved as simple contests.
So, it’s up to the DM how to resolve it. Making an attack roll against an AC calculated in a non-standard way is one way you might resolve that. But, as the rules for improvised actions state that you normally make an ability check for improvised actions and that most can be resolved as simple contests, I would be more inclined to call for a Dexterity vs. Dexterity contest.

The target’s AC.

The answer to 2. is obvious, as it's the AC value you use all the time in combat. But it won't be the same as the answer to 1. if you're wearing any armour; and this is the difference I'm trying to get at. If my AC is 15 and you roll 13 to hit me, you won't do any damage but chances are the DM is still going to narrate that the blow connected with me (probably my shield, as it missed by 2); where if you only roll a 3 to hit the chances are the resulting narration will involve the words "missed completely" in it somewhere.
Yes, that is all accurate.

I think the unintuitive part is the very comparison you make here between a creature and an object; a comparison that simply isn't necessary. In both cases the to-hit roll (for game mechanics purposes) is most of the time checking whether you've hit well enough and-or hard enough to cause damage.
This is where we’re disagreeing. I’m saying that when you attack a creature, you roll against a number that represents how difficult it is to hit that creature in a vulnerable spot. By default, this number is 10+Dex, representing the creatire’s ability to dodge your attacks. Armor and some abilities change this calculation, usually representing the decreased surface area of the creature that is vulnerable to attack, and potentially the increased difficulty of dodging attacks while armored. Shields and cover increase this number, representing an obstacle preventing the attacker’s blows from reaching the target.

When you attack an object, you roll against a number that represents how hard you have to hit it to do damage. This number is fixed, and does not need to be calculated.

If yes, roll damage. If no, it then becomes simply a narration question as to whether the swing missed completely, or connected but not hard enough for damage, or was blocked by a shield or by cover, or whatever.
Yes, but since the attacks represent different things in the fiction depending on whether the target is a creature or an object, the narration should reflect that difference.

But sometimes, e.g. when I've got a loaded shocking staff and all I need to do is touch you with it in order to deliver its shock, your armour and some other AC factors might not help you. In these cases, I'm rolling against a lower AC.
Most such abilities actually force the target to make a saving throw. There are no codified abilities that target a lower AC value than the target’s AC.

Mechanically, in the game it represents exactly the same thing: how high an attacker's to-hit roll has to be in order to cause damage.
Yes, which is why Barkskin shouldn’t need to explain what the minimum AC of 16 represents in the fiction. It’s a mechanical effect that sets a floor for the difficulty of the d20 roll you make to see if you can roll your weapon’s damage die. But since people seem to be struggling to come up with a satisfactory explanation of what that represents in the fiction, I am offering one. Armor makes you harder to do damage to because you can an unarmored person can be damaged by a hit anywhere on their body, while an armored person is mostly safe unless you get in the crack of their visor or under the armpit or something. Barkskin does not do what armor does. It does what bark does, which is make trees hard to damage because you gotta hit it real hard to get through. Mechanically, the latter is represented by a fixed AC value that is not affected by things like shields or cover.

S'mon

Legend
Re cover bonuses - for ease of maths it makes sense that cover affects the target DC rather than impose a to-hit penalty, but barkskin is the kind of case that shows that AC as DC can be problematic for the fiction. So I would certainly house rule that cover bonuses don't count as part of the AC for barkskin & similar purposes.

Conversely I'm ok with shield not affecting barkskin; the idea being that any attack which can bypass shield will penetrate barkskin too. Given how plate armour caused shields to fall out of use IRL, this isn't entirely unrealistic either.

S'mon

Legend
I think this is where you are getting confused. The answer is yes they are the same. There is no such thing as touch AC in 5e.

Now there are certain circumstances that 5e uses other mechanics. For example grappling uses an opposed roll (there is no formal touch attack like there was in 3e, but obviously there is a touch component embedded in the check). Some things utilize a dex check. But at no point is modified AC utilized for "touching". Either you use your full AC....or a completely non AC mechanic.

Yes, the nearest thing to a touch AC in 5e is an opposed Athletics or Acrobatics check to avoid being grabbed. A tree does not get to make such checks & is always grabbed. :)

AC in 5e is always a measure of how hard it is to damage the target.

You get some weird edge cases in 5e like it being an object interaction to pick up an unconscious character (unless the GM says it's an Action - but even then still automatic) but hitting them for damage is still vs their AC which by RAW often includes their DEX bonus.

Remove ads