• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Barrels- how big? hold how much? - reality check

lordxaviar

Explorer
I spent some time actually researching barrels and even buying several to make this list more realistic. would love comments. under cost I save writing out all the types of coin... 1 = 1 gp 1.1 = 1 gp + 1 sp and can you figure out what 1.11 is?

Item ``````````````Cost gp ```````` Weight empty#'s
Barrel, personal `````````1 ```````````'''``` 8
Barrel Oil ```````````````10 ```````````` 100
Barrel, small or half cask ``` 1 ```````````` 12
Barrel, cask ````````````` 1.8 ``````````` 23
Barrel medium ````````````2````````````` 25
Barrel, firkin````````````` 2.9 ``````````` 31
Barrel, anker`````````````` 3 ``````````` 32
Barrel Keg`````````````````4```````````` 43
Barrel large```````````````` 8 ````````````85
Barrel, hogshead ``````````` 15`````````` 180
Barrel, puncheon ```````````28``````````` 220
Barrel butt ``````````````` 40```````````` 350
Barrel tun ```````````````` 100 `````````` 720

Item ````````````````` Liquid capacity - ounces - oz- ````Volume
Barrel, personal``````````` 1 Gal[FONT=&quot][1][/FONT] ``````````````````````10" tall
Barrel Oil ```````````````` 42 Gal/ 26Gal dry ``````````````4.5' tall
Barrel, small or half cask ```` 2 Gal- ```````````````````````1.5’ tall
Barrel, cask ```````````````5 Gal-64 .````````````````````7/ 2' tall
Barrel medium `````````````7.5 Gal- `````````````````````2.5' tall
Barrel, firkin `````````````` 9.8 Gal- ``````````````````````3' tall
Barrel, anker`````````````` 10 Gal-``````````````````````` 3' tall
Barrel Keg. ````````````````15.75 Gal- ```````````````````` 4' tall
Barrel large ``````````````` 31.5 Gal-`````````````````````` 4' tall
Barrel, hogshead ``````````` 63 Gal-````````````````````````*
Barrel, puncheon ``````````` 84 Gal-````````````````````````*
Barrel butt ```````````````` 126 Gal-```````````````````````*
Barrel tun ``````````````````252 Gal-```````````````````````*

[FONT=&quot][1][/FONT] Water weighs 8.345404 lbs per gallon, basically a pint is a pound.
* These are very large, i didnt get the exact dimensions but a Tun is approx 10' in diameter at the edge

Last edited:

lordxaviar

Explorer
i do it in several ways,,, Not sure of the exact method i used here it was some time ago, but I believe i started with the cost from the books and then used the old Article by Gary G on the conversion from real dollars to gold coin. Of course there is always some extrapolation on my part, a good example of this is the cost of crafting an item. have a look at the iron pot... you could make a good living buying them and scraping them out, there is no cost for making the pot. one of the things that got me going on this.

so after all this rant... your quick answer is YES... I do both and look how it balances.

lordxaviar

Explorer
I did some further research, i left out a few and some reference materials, because there are some websites with faulty information on the actual sizes. quick for instance... from the Oxford Dictionary: A tun is four Hogshead which is 63 gallons.

So I have a better list if anyone wishes... email me for it in table format.

Last edited:

Sorrowdusk

First Post
i do it in several ways,,, Not sure of the exact method i used here it was some time ago, but I believe i started with the cost from the books and then used the old Article by Gary G on the conversion from real dollars to gold coin. Of course there is always some extrapolation on my part, a good example of this is the cost of crafting an item. have a look at the iron pot... you could make a good living buying them and scraping them out, there is no cost for making the pot. one of the things that got me going on this.

so after all this rant... your quick answer is YES... I do both and look how it balances.

IS that article availiable online?

lordxaviar

Explorer
I will dig it up, not sure where it was published, might have been in one of his later publications... that is after he got booted from his creation.

lordxaviar

Explorer
this kinda goes with the barrels.

This list of prices are located oddly or based on prices already in the PH, DMG or AE; Or are just made up based on real life prices and yields of the middle ages
Alcohols
Item
Price ```````````````````````````Wgt/ size/bottle `````````````````````` Yield and page `````````````````Yields / DC
Wine common,
red or white ````````````````````` .1/ pint* .8/ gal `````````````````````````*PH page 129

Wine common Dessert `````````````````` .5 /pnt

Wine fine ``````````````````````````1.21/pint* `9.66 /gal (9gold, 6 silver, and
``````````````````````````````````6 copper or 10 gp bottle Sm barrel 36 gp 7.5 gallons,`````````*PH page 129
Broken down by 26.5 oz per bottle

Spirits (brandy)[FONT=&quot][1][/FONT] ```````````````` 3.75 /pint 30/ Gal (36-39 for 5-18 yr old
``````````````````````````````and 45/Gal for 20 yr old) ```````````````````````````````1 barrel of wine
````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````=1/3 barrel of brandy,
`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````aged = minus additional 20-30% (5-18 years(rare 20yrs 38% loss)
``````````````````````````````````````````````````````128oz wine (1 gal) yields 34 oz or just over a quart, of 5 yr old aged brandy.
Tun of cider (250 gal.)`````````````` 8 ``````````````````````````````````````````````2ed PH pg 68
Tun of good wine (250 gal.) ```````` 20 `````````````````````````````````````````````` 2ed PH pg 68

[FONT=&quot][1][/FONT] Brandy is made from a low alcohol (8%) very acidic wine. Cognac is made only from white grapes (ugi blanc) and only from the Cognac region

Last edited:

Persiflage

First Post
Barrel, hogshead ``````````` 63 Gal-````````````````````````*
Barrel, puncheon ``````````` 84 Gal-````````````````````````*
Barrel butt ```````````````` 126 Gal-```````````````````````*
Barrel tun ``````````````````252 Gal-```````````````````````*

[FONT=&quot][1][/FONT] Water weighs 8.345404 lbs per gallon, basically a pint is a pound.
* These are very large, i didnt get the exact dimensions but a Tun is approx 10' in diameter at the edge

No, it isn't! I put it to you that you've never had a job that involved moving beer barrels around... :lol:

252 gallons isn't nearly as much as it sounds. A beer tun holds 1311 litres (gallons vary so much from country to country and even with different materials measured that I don't want to use them for fear of confusing myself), or 1,311,000 cubic centimetres. Assuming a cylindrical shape for ease of calculation, a tun 10' (304.8cm, or 3.048m) across as you described would be a fraction short of 18cm tall... or a shade over 7 inches.

Remember, the volume of a cylinder increases with the square of the radius.

I have no idea where you've got the heights for those barrel sizes, either. A US half-barrel keg (15.75 gallons) that you have listed as 4' tall is in reality only 23.4 inches tall by 17 inches in diameter (roughly).

athos

First Post
Wine barrels hold about 55 gallons. Full, this would mean the wine weighed about 440 lbs, so they must be quite sturdy, having steel bands around them. As a side note, the best wines come from vineyards that only produce about 5 barrels per acre, which is considered very low yield. Living here in wine country, you see a lot of people cut these old barrels in half and plant a tomato vine in them. They are big enough to grow stuff in, but empty, they are light enough to carry, pretty good engineering if you ask me :)

Remove ads