• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Base Class i'm building

Corsair420

First Post
So, I'm building a base class, I call it the Ambuscade(name subject to change). He's kind of a mixture between a rogue, a ninja and an acrobat (yes htey are all kinda similiar). this is taking some of the features from all of these and some features from other classes i've come across. Thought i'd post what I have so far here and get some comments and opinions from anyone willing. Please try to keep it constructive. This is what I have so far;

Ambuscade

Abilities: Dexterity provides protection for the Ambuscade. Dexterity, Intelligence, Wisdom are important for a majority of the Ambuscade's skills. A high Strength will help the Ambuscade, on Jump, Climb and Swim checks. A high Intelligence will give more skill points. A high Wisdom will allow the Ambuscade to use his abilities more times per day

Alignment: Any non-good
Race: Any
Hit Die: d6

Class Skills: Balance, Bluff, Climb, Craft, Diplomacy, Disable Device, Disguise, Escape Artist, Forgery, Gather Information, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, Open Lock, Perform, Profession, Search, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, Spot, Swim, Tumble, Use Rope

Skill points at first level: (6 + Int mod) x 4
Skill points at each additional: 6 + Int mod

Weapon and armor proficiencies: An Ambuscade is proficient with all simple weapons as well as the Handaxe, Kukri, Rapier and Scimitar. An Ambuscade is proficient with light armor but not shields.

Level | BAB | Fort | Ref | Will | Abilities
1 | +0 | +0 | +2 | +0 | Sudden Strike +1d6, AC Bonus
2 | +1 | +0 | +3 | +0 | Evasion, Ghost Step
3 | +2 | +1 | +3 | +1 | Sudden Strike +2d6, Ambuscade +3
4 | +3 | +1 | +4 | +1 | Uncanny Dodge, Fast Movement(+5ft)
5 | +3 | +1 | +4 | +1 | Sudden Strike +3d6, Leap of the Clouds
6 | +4 | +2 | +5 | +2 | Uncanny Step, Ambuscade +6
7 | +5 | +2 | +5 | +2 | Sudden Strike +4d6, Spring Attack
8 | +6/+1 | +2 | +6 | +2 | Improved Uncanny Dodge, Fast Movement(+10ft)
9 | +6/+1 | +3 | +6 | +3 | Sudden Strike +5d6, Ambuscade +9
10 | +7/+2 | +3 | +7 | +3 | Ghost Rush, Ghost Strike
11 | +8/+3 | +3 | +7 | +3 | Sudden Strike +6d6
12 | +9/+4 | +4 | +8 | +4 | Ambuscade +12, Fast Movement (+15ft)
13 | +9/+4 | +4 | +8 | +4 | Sudden Strike +7d6 Improved Evasion
14 | +10/+5 | +4 | +9 | +4 | Perfect Landing
15 | +11/+6/+1 | +5 | +9 | +5 |Sudden Strike +8d6, Ambuscade +15
16 | +12/+7/+2 | +5 | +10 | +5 | Hide in Plain Sight, Fast Movement(+20ft)
17 | +12/+7/+2 | +5 | +10 | +5 | Sudden Strike +9d6
18 | +13/+8/+3 | +6 | +11 | +6 | Ambuscade +18
19 | +14/+9/+4 | +6 | +11 | +6 | Sudden Strike +10d6
20 | +15/+10/+5 | +6 | +12 | +6 | Fast Movement(+25ft)

Special Abilities:

Sudden Strike: If an Ambuscade can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from an attack he can strike vital areas for extra damage. Any time an opponent would be denied their dexterity bonus to AC this damage is applied. Only weapon damage is multiplied on a successful critical hit, not the Sudden Strike damage

Ranged attack can count as sneak attacks only if the target is withing 30 feet.

Sudden Strike only works on living creatures with discernable anatomies. Undead, constructs, oozes, plants and incoporeal creatures cannot be effected by Sudden Strike as they lack vital areas(the exception to this rule is using the Ambuscades Ghost Strike ability to attack an incorporeal creature)

AC Bonus: An Ambuscade is extraordinarily dexterous when Unarmored and unencumbered. The Ambuscade is able to add his Dexterity modifier and a half to their AC when unarmoed and unecnumbered, for example: if your deterity is an 18(a modifier of +4) your AC bonus from dexterity would be +6 instead of the normal +4. This bonus is also lost any time you would otherwise be denied your dexterity bonus to your AC.

Evasion: At 2nd level and higher, an Ambuscade can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If he makes a successful Reflex save against attacks that normally deal half damage on a successful save(Such as the Fireball spell), he instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the ambuscade is wearing light or no armor. A helpless Ambuscade (such as one who is unconcious or paralyzed) doesn't not benefit from evasion.

Ghost step: Ghost Step allows the Ambuscade to turn invisible for 1 round. Using this ability is a swift action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity. An Ambuscade is able to use this ability 2 time per day Plus his Wisdom modifier(minimum 1)

Ambuscade: This ability gives an Ambuscade a +3 bonus to Balance, Climb, Hide, Jump, Move silently and Tumble checks. This bonus increases by +3, every 3 levels(+3 at level 1, +6 at level 6, +9 at level 9 and so on).

Uncanny Dodge: Starting at 4th level an Ambuscade can react to danfer before her senses would normally allow him to do so. He retains his Dexterity bonus to AC(if any) even if caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. He still loses this bonus if immobilized.

If the Ambuscade already has uncanny dodge from another class, he automatically gains Improved uncanny dodge (see below) instead.

Fast Movement: Starting at 4th level an Ambuscade benefits from a faster base land speed. This bonus starts at +5 feet at 4th level and increases by +5 every 4 levels after (+10 at 8th, +15 at 12th and so on up to +25 at 20th level. This Bonus is lost if the Ambuscade wears armor heavier then Light or while carrying a medium or heavy load.

Leap of the Clouds: At 5th level an Ambuscades jumping distance(vertical or horizontal) is no longer limited according to the characters height

Uncanny Step: On reaching 6th level an Ambuscade can take part of his move actions on a wall or other vertical surface so long as the movement begins and ends on a horizontal surface. If movement is ended before reaching a horizontal surface the Ambuscade falls, taking appropriate damage.

Treat Vertical surfaces as normal floor for the purposes of calculating distance. Passing the boundary from vertical to horizontal is equivalent to 5 feet of movement on normal floor. Opponents still get attacks of opportunity if the Ambuscade passes through their threat range. An Ambuscade can take other move actions in conjunction with uncanny step, such the Spring Attack feat, and the Tumble and Jump skills.

For instance, Kangling the ambuscade has a base land spped of 40 feet. she begins her action with her back to a wall facing some enemies who guard the building across the street. Kangling turns, runs up the wall for 10 feet, and then leaps 15 feet across the street(using the Jump skill and the Leap of the clouds ability) to land on the wall of the building the men were guarding, she then moves 5 feet to an open window and ends her movement on a horizontal surface by stepping through the window.

Spring Attack: At 7th level an Ambuscade gains the benefits of the Spring Attack feat even if he doesn't have the prerequisites.

Improved Uncanny Dodge: At 8th level or higher an Ambuscade can no longer be flanked; he can react to danger on opposite sides of him as easily as he can react to a single opponent. This defense denies another rogue the ability to sneak attack the character by flanking him, unless the attacker has at least 4 more levels of rogue then the target does.

If the character already has uncanny dodge from another class, the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead, and the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum rogue level required to flank the character

Ghost Rush: Upon reaching 10th level an Ambuscade gains the use of the Ghost Rush ability 3 times per day. This ability allows the Ambuscade to charge an opponent using a special form of ethereal jaunt. Using this ability causes you to jaunt forward 10 feet at a time, each time in a different place in a loose line towards the enemy, this ability can be used in conjunction with Leap of the clouds and Uncanny step, allowing you to walk along walls and jump from place to place on the way to your target.

If the attack succeeds you catch your opponent off guard and are able to apply your sneak attack to the damage roll. If you miss the attack the use of the ability is wasted. If the target can see ethereal creatures whether through the True Seeing spell or some other means they are not caught flat-footed and they retain their Dexterity bonus to their AC.

Ghost Strike: Ghost strike allows the Ambuscade to strike at incorporeal targets 2 rounds per day plus his Wisdom modifier(minimum 1). This ability allows the Ambuscade to apply his Sudden Strike to damage rolls made against incorporeal creatures any time they are denied their dexterity bonus to their AC

Improved Evasion: Improved evasion works like evasion except that even on a failed reflex save the Ambuscade takes only half damage from spells and effects that allow a reflex save for half damage. A successful save still lets the Ambuscade take no damage.

Perfect Landing: When the Ambuscade needs to make a quick escape, he doesn't always have time to take the stairs. Perfect landing allows the Ambuscade to leap from higher heights and take no damage from the fall. The ambuscade makes a jump check vs the distance he falls, if he succeeds he takes no damage, on a failed save damage is taken normally and the Ambuscade falls prone

Hide in Plain sight: At 16th level an Ambuscade is able to use to his hide skill even while being observed

-----

Sorry about the weird format, notepad didn't translate well to the forum.

As you can see, hes not finished yet, i'm having issues trying to think of what abilities to give him to finish off the last few levels, i'm open to changing abilities or adding or removing some should the need arise.

I also made a prestige class I call the Shock Archer, its a ranger or fighter build focusing on using a bow to inflict more damage using lightning, if yall are interesting I can post him.

Last edited:

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
It looks to me like this new class has the same abilities as the rogue, plus most of the ones of a monk, with a bunch of other ones added in. If this class is available, is there any reason for someone to still play a rogue or monk?

Corsair420

First Post
of course, there are thigns each have the this guy doesn't, the AC bonus for this guy is different then the monks, monk gets Wis and Dex to their AC on top of the bonus they get just for leveling as monk, Ambuscade only gets Dex and a half, not to mention all the other abilities monks get that Ambuscade doesn't, unarmed damage and its increases, flurry of blows, ki strike, and tons of others, the only similarities between mine and a monk are a speed boost and completely different kind of way to avoid falling damage.

As for the rogue, I took sneak attack, uncanny dodge(improved as well) and evasion from it, they still get more skill points, and more special abilities, and bonus feats.

Dandu

First Post
I would rank the class as getting more than the monk or ninja, but those were pretty poorly designed classes to begin with.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Okay, let's compare to the rogue.

You took away one skill point per level, but then you gave this guy a skill bonus, of effectively +1 point per level to six skills. It works out to this guy having 5 more skill points than the rogue.

You took away the rogue's four special abilities/bonus feats but then you gave this guy abilities that are at least as good, and show up earlier. Spring Attack alone is worth at least one bonus feat (or a couple, because you skip the prereqs). Uncanny Step duplicates a psychic warrior feat. Fast movement is worth quite a lot, especially in combinaton with Spring Attack. Et cetera.

With the one exception of trapfinding, it seems to me that this guy can do everything a rogue can do, only more and better. IMO that would make it overpowered.

Dandu

First Post
Note that the fast movement is an increase to base land speed, but unlike the monk, is not an enhancement bonus. This makes it better.

Corsair420

First Post
Note that the fast movement is an increase to base land speed, but unlike the monk, is not an enhancement bonus. This makes it better.

while i didn't define it as an enhancement bonus i did say it is lost when wearing medium or heavy armor or with anything heavier then a light load as the monks is handled, i honestly didn't look at the monk while i was making this, I was looking at the rogue, the ninja, the dervish, the blade dancer and the weightless foot classes

Okay, let's compare to the rogue.

You took away one skill point per level, but then you gave this guy a skill bonus, of effectively +1 point per level to six skills. It works out to this guy having 5 more skill points than the rogue.

You took away the rogue's four special abilities/bonus feats but then you gave this guy abilities that are at least as good, and show up earlier. Spring Attack alone is worth at least one bonus feat (or a couple, because you skip the prereqs). Uncanny Step duplicates a psychic warrior feat. Fast movement is worth quite a lot, especially in combinaton with Spring Attack. Et cetera.

With the one exception of trapfinding, it seems to me that this guy can do everything a rogue can do, only more and better. IMO that would make it overpowered.

Ok, didn't think of it that way, I do plan on lowering the skill points, i wasn't thinking about both the skills points and the skill boosts combined.

As for the special abilities i tried to place them where they would normally be obtained if you had taken any of the numerous prestige classes listed above with the exception of spring attack and leap of the clouds, (i think) your gaining them in the same place as if you had taken levels in dervish or blade dancer or weightless foot, after looking at it i'll probably move spring attack and improved uncanny dodge down a level to 8 and 9 instead of 7 and 8.

Where it stands right now, my class gets evasion, uncanny dodge and improved uncanny dodge at the exact same place a rogue gets them. and if improved evasion is the first special ability you take as a rogue you get it 3 levels sooner as a rogue then my class.

I am also looking for ideas on an ability or 2 to finish off his last few levels, atleast 1 for level 20

Tharkon

First Post
Hit Die: d6
D6 seems logical for a stealth class, both the Ninja and Rogue have a d6.
Class Skills: Balance, Bluff, Climb, Craft, Diplomacy, Disable Device, Disguise, Escape Artist, Forgery, Gather Information, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, Open Lock, Perform, Profession, Search, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, Spot, Swim, Tumble, Use Rope

Skill points at first level: (7 + Int mod) x 4
Skill points at each addtional: 7 + Int mod
Skill points are usually even, compared to the Rogue you removed four class skills, so I would suggest 6, although this depends on the general idea of the class. Is it really as skillful as a rogue?

Code:

Level BAB Fort Ref Will Abilities
-----------------------------------------------------
1 +0 +0 +2 +0 Sneak Attack +1d6, AC Bonus
2 +1 +0 +3 +0 Evasion, Ghost Step
3 +2 +1 +3 +1 Sneak Attack +2d6, Ambuscade +3
4 +3 +1 +4 +1 Uncanny Dodge, Fast Movement(+10ft)
5 +3 +1 +4 +1 Sneak Attack +3d6, Leap of the Clouds
6 +4 +2 +5 +2 Uncanny Step, Ambuscade +6
7 +5 +2 +5 +2 Sneak Attack +4d6, Spring Attack
8 +6/+1 +2 +6 +2 Improved Uncanny Dodge, Fast Movement(+20ft)
9 +6/+1 +3 +6 +3 Sneak Attack +5d6, Ambuscade +9
10 +7/+2 +3 +7 +3 Ghost Rush, Ghost Strike
11 +8/+3 +3 +7 +3 Sneak Attack +6d6
12 +9/+4 +4 +8 +4 Ambuscade +12, Fast Movement (+30ft)
13 +9/+4 +4 +8 +4 Sneak Attack +7d6 Improved Evasion
14 +10/+5 +4 +9 +4 Perfect Landing
15 +11/+6/+1 +5 +9 +5 Sneak Attack +8d6, Ambuscade +15
16 +12/+7/+2 +5 +10 +5 Hide in Plain Sight, Fast Movement(+40ft)
17 +12/+7/+2 +5 +10 +5 Sneak Attack +9d6
18 +13/+8/+3 +6 +11 +6 Ambuscade +18
19 +14/+9/+4 +6 +11 +6 Sneak Attack +10d6
20 +15/+10/+5 +6 +12 +6 Fast Movement(+50ft)
BAB and saves look logical.
Sneak Attack is identical to the Rogue's.

Not sure about the AC bonus, it is an unusual approach since enhancing a single skill has more effect on AC. However since it's only half I am not sure if it's that much more powerful than adding a secondary ability, as long as other abilities are still needed by other class features, so this may be comparable to the Ninja's AC bonus.

So we start with Ninja with an upgraded sudden strike, but without ki power (which so far just Iron Will) or trapfinding. Or a Rogue with an AC bonus but with reduced skill points and no trapfinding.

But then at 2nd level we get the Rogue's evasion as well as the Ninja's Ghost step.
At 3rd level we have Ambuscade, which is comparable to the Ninja's Acrobatics except that it's 1.5 times as strong, affects twice as many skills and advances twice as fast. So basically it's having Acrobatics 6 times.
Then comes uncanny dodge. The odd thing here is the lack of trap sense, normally accompanying uncanny dodge, there is also the Barbarian's Fast movement ability.

Score for the Ninja at level 3:
Gain Sneak Attack, Uncanny Dodge, Evasion, Fast Movement and 5x Acrobatics,
Lose Sudden Strike, Iron Will and Great Leap.
Score for the Rogue at level 3:
Gain Ghost Step, Fast Movement and 6x of Acrobatics.
Lose 2 skills, Trapfinding and Trapsense

Score for the Ninja at level 9:
Gain Sneak Attack, Uncanny Dodge, Evasion, 2x Fast Movement and 5x Acrobatics.
Lose Sudden Strike, Great Leap, Ghost Strike, Iron Will, Improved Poison Use, Ki Dodge and Trapfinding.
Score for the Rogue at level 9:
Gain Ghost Step, 2x Fast Movement, 6x Acrobatics, Uncanny Step and Spring Attack
Lose 2 skills, Trapfinding and Trapsense

Score for the Ninja at level 12:
Gain Sneak Attack, Uncanny Dodge, 3x Fast Movement and 5x Acrobatics.
Lose Sudden Strike, Great Leap, Iron Will, Improved Poison Use, Ki Dodge and Trapfinding.
Score for the Rogue at level 12:
Gain Ghost Step, 3x Fast Movement, 6x Acrobatics, Uncanny Step and Spring Attack, Ghost Strike, Ghost Rush
Lose 2 skills, Trapfinding and Trapsense, 1x Special Ability

Score for the Ninja at level 15:
Gain Sneak Attack, Uncanny Dodge, 3x Fast Movement and 5x Acrobatics, Improved Evasion, Perfect Landing
Lose Sudden Strike, Great Leap, Iron Will, Improved Poison Use, Ki Dodge, Ghost Mind and Trapfinding.
Score for the Rogue at level 15:
Gain Ghost Step, 3x Fast Movement, 6x Acrobatics, Uncanny Step and Spring Attack, Ghost Strike, Ghost Rush, Perfect Landing
Lose 2 skills, Trapfinding and Trapsense, 1x Special Ability

Score for the Ninja at level 20:
Gain Sneak Attack, Uncanny Dodge, 5x Fast Movement and 5x Acrobatics, Improved Evasion, Perfect Landing, Hide in Plain Sight
Lose Sudden Strike, Great Leap, Iron Will, Improved Poison Use, Greater Ki Dodge, Ghost Mind, Ghost Sight, Ghost Walk and Trapfinding.
Score for the Rogue at level 20:
Gain Ghost Step, 5x Fast Movement, 6x Acrobatics, Uncanny Step and Spring Attack, Ghost Strike, Ghost Rush, Perfect Landing, Hide in Plain Sight
Lose 2 skills, Trapfinding and Trapsense, 3 special abilities.

So it's clear to see that this class is more powerful by far than either of them.
The rogue is the most comparable.
Hide in Plain Sight sounds like it could be a special ability, we pick two of the Ghost abilities or Uncanny step as the other two and cross out Trap Finding against Spring Attack. Then the 2 lost skills cross out 2 of the acrobatics and trap sense could maybe cross out one or two fast movements.
We'd be left with 3x Fast Movement, 4x Acrobatics, Perfect Landing, Uncanny step and one of the Ghost abilities.

Perfect Landing is to powerful no matter what, especially with the incredibly high bonus on Jump and Tumble.

In an attempt to balance the class, here are some suggestions.
Replace Sneak Attack with Sudden Strike.
Reduce the Ambuscade ability in strength, diversity and/or advancement.
Reduce Fast movement in strength and/or advancement.
Remove Uncanny Dodge (mostly cause it just looks weird to see it without Trapsense).

Also consider the following:
Wouldn't an Ambuscade not just be a multiclass Rogue/Ninja?
Focus on what the character taking this class is first, and then think about what the character should be able to do.
In all cases a player should be torn between choosing to play a Rogue or an Ambuscade, which isn't the case here.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads