• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Base measurement in DDN

DDN's ways of measurement

• 1 yard/meter squares with measurement in yards/meters/squares

Votes: 95 47.7%
  • 5 feet squares with measurement in feet

Votes: 79 39.7%
  • 10 feet squares with measurement in feet

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • 5 feet squares with measurement in squares

Votes: 19 9.5%
  • 10 feet squares with measurement in squares

Votes: 0 0.0%

erf_beto

First Post
Human land speed = 10 yards.
Oh Klaus, as if I needed another reason to like the metric system, you had to show me such a beautiful number like "10"? :p

But to be realistic, I don't think we'll see a change from feet to yards/meters. There's tradition, there are too many maps already with feet measurements (the difference is small on a few squares of movement, but it adds up, when you consider those poster maps), and it is a US based company who's producing the game. I would be ok with squares, but they have gridless combat in mind, and talking about "squares" is just silly, IMO.

We, people of the world, will just have to suck it. Again. But we will persevere. Again.

Yora

Legend
Please give us the yard!

With a yard, everyone who is not a US american can just pretent it's just the same thing as a meter, and the americans won't have to use anything that is to difficult for them to learn.
Converting 5 feet to meter gets you 1,5 meter measurements, which are just cluncky.

OnlineDM

Adventurer
I think the meter/yard square makes so much sense. No more math! "I can move 30 feet; can I reach that guy?" "Well, let's see, 5, 10, 15, 20..."

This becomes: "I can move six yards; can I reach that guy?" "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 - yep, no problem."

I can count by ones much more quickly than I can count by fives. And I'm good at math, honest! It's just more convenient.

I'm fine with using a map that was drawn with a one square = 5 feet scale and using it as-is on a one square = 1 yard/meter scale. Yes, the rooms are all smaller in "real world" terms now. So what? Those rooms were probably unrealistically large to begin with!

And I don't personally have any issues with meters feeling anachronistic, but if lots of folks feel that way (it's interesting to see several native metric users express that view) then I'd be fine going with yards by default. Meters feels better to me (even though I'm from the US), but I don't mind yards. I just feel that the game will be easier to play if 1 square equals 1 unit of measurement, whether that's a meter, a yard or a frutzlin.

Mercutio01

First Post
Please no. Just no.

Really? I mean, I can understand wanting it to be simpler, but when moving on a diagonal means my character can move faster than yours moving left to right, that doesn't bother you? A character that moves 5 spaces on a diagonal NE actually covers ~10 ft more than the character that moves 5 spaces straight E.

Prickly

First Post
Really? I mean, I can understand wanting it to be simpler, but when moving on a diagonal means my character can move faster than yours moving left to right, that doesn't bother you? A character that moves 5 spaces on a diagonal NE actually covers ~10 ft more than the character that moves 5 spaces straight E.

I know the reasons for it, I just find it slows down the game when a person tries to move in combat. Especially new players.

It just simpler to have one square move be 5 ft/1 yard/1 metre/whatever at all times.

Remove ads