• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Base of operations--Does your party have one?

Invictikore

First Post
The group I run know, Has a Bar "Out of the Blue" that they call home one of the PC's owns it and it is generally where they hang out. Which has caused problems when their enemies come a looking for them.... There are always spare targets of innocents milling around.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
The party for whom I DM has had a couple of bases of operation, depending on the story arc and how local the action was. Right now they're on a journey, so they've got a folding boat and that's about it.

-- N

GrayIguana

First Post
As a player and a DM, we've always had some base of operations.

I've noticed that my players connect to the NPCs and certain locations over time. Often when I don't think they are. As a plot device, I killed off a major NPC, so the PCs could hunt down the evil-doers. They went so far as to name a place after the NPC, and really took the adventure to heart. (something that I doubted they would do).

I don't think this would have happened if they just met the NPC in a one-shot.

A regular base of operations also provides more opportunities for plot-hooks that the PCs will actually invest themselves in. It's also always fun to be the owner of your own bar, or brew-house.

Red Viper

First Post
Our group never ends up planning on getting some sort of establishmen/buisness/ship, but we always end up doing it in the end as a comapign is dying. It can be fun, but our dm never really does anyhting with them, which sucks, so basically it sucks all our money and we don't get much benefit.

Dagger75

Epic Commoner
My group rented out a tavern. An old retired rogue took them under his wing and let them use the top floor for rooms and the basement with a secret entrance to the sewers.

The halfling and the gnome used to keep there riding dogs in the basement. Well they got captured, the Tavern burned down and nobody was there to feed the poor dogs :( They were actually more ticked I burned the house down then taking there magic items.

Does a starship count? My current Star Wars game has the PC's living in the smugglers ship. All the comforts of home except you change the scenery a lot faster.

rumblehed

First Post
villages

In the campaign I've got going, the PC's are on the move in a particular provice of the region and are getting to know their way around quite well. They know their way to most of the larger towns and a few of the smaller villages. Their base of operations most times is whatever local inn is willing to put them up for a few days.

Napftor

Explorer
Red Viper said:
Our group never ends up planning on getting some sort of establishmen/buisness/ship, but we always end up doing it in the end as a comapign is dying. It can be fun, but our dm never really does anyhting with them, which sucks, so basically it sucks all our money and we don't get much benefit.

Why not have one of the other players (or you for that matter) DM a module or two after buying such a place? Maybe your DM just isn't into running that kind of adventure...but he might be interested as a player. ;)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
In Sagiro's game we all live in a former bakery known as the greenhouse - because it's painted green, not because we grow plants. It was enchanted by our original patron to be almost impregnable to attack. Sure, we've since been given an old keep and several mansions in various cities, but the greenhouse is our true haven. If there wasn't an evil baker living down the street, it'd be perfect.

In my game, the group has taken its folding boat and enchanted it to fly. Calling in favors and finding the best planar boatwrights available, they have a superb craft that is crewed by invisible sailors and which is scry-proof. The Sunrider can even planeshift once a week, sailing between layers of existence. It's a great base of operation, and they can fold it up and fit it in a backpack when they don't need it.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads