• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Basic 4e style. Thoughts?

WSmith

First Post
I keep clamoring about what the starter is is not. It is not a Basic set like the ones my generation had back in the early days of D&D. Well, instead of complaining, what if I cribbed together my own version. Well, the truth be told, I have almost no experience with 4e. I don't even like some of the stuff in there. I am a OD&D and Classic D&D kind of guy, just so you know where I am coming from. So, here is my question to those with some 4e experience actually playing. If I were to put this together for myself, how would this work out.

Four classes: Fighter, Wizard, Cleric, and Rogue

Four Races: Human, Dwarf, Elf, and Halfling

I want to only focus on levels 1-10 for now so only those powers and feats and such would be included in my little document.

If I want to play Rules Cyclopedia, I would just use that, but I want to experiment with 4e and see how close I can push it towards a RC type game. Any thoughts?

For one, each of the four "roles" are present.

The eladrin actually is a closer match to a traditional elf, I think. Would omitting the eladrin hurt the possibility of an elven wizard?

Death is very common in Classic D&D, especially at low levels. Can 4e come close to recreating this feeling?

Thanks.

WSmith

First Post
Go with levels 1-4.

Any particular reason why? I wouldn't be against it, just curious. Since I was looking for a way to introduce someone, (especially me ;) ) to 4e, this would work too.

I have been reading the rules and it is taking me some time to get them through my head. In some ways I have to forget certain things I know about D&D already and then I understand better. So I thank everyone in advance for being patient with me.

There are certain options for this project that I consider.

1. Humans only. This would make it a little easier to grasp at first. I still like the traditional races which leads me to...

2. This may be a little ambitious for a guy that is not familiar with 4e, but what if I made a class for "dwarf", "elf" and "halfling." I know a lot of folks hate race as class, but it is one of those things I love. Maybe this is a dumb idea that will become obvious once I read and understand the rules more. To emulate two of the three would be easy. A dwarf and halfling would have to be fighters. I think I would allow the halfling to be a rogue though. The elf would be the hard one to recreate, as in Classic D&D they are essentially a fighter / magic-user.

3. A smaller weapon and equipment list.

edemaitre

Explorer
I've said before on EnWorld's message boards that I like the idea of a retro, stripped-down D&D4e. I'd keep the lack of Race/Class/Level restrictions and the D20 rolling system rather than go completely back to OD&D/AD&D's THAC0. I myself prefer the woodsy Elf to the planar Eladrin, but eliminating Fey Step should solve this. I'd make the other classes besides the "core four" Paragon paths. I'd also reduce or eliminate healing surges to make the game more lethal.

darjr

I crit!
I'm not completely sure. But all 10 levels of the heroic tier is, to me, to much for a 'basic' set. Maybe 1-3 would be better.

Just enough of the powers to look forward to at the begining, and by 3rd level if the players are still interested the PHB is available.

Or did you mean a 'basic' set as in a split between AD&D and the red box?

Hmmm... could you be pining for a neophyte tier?

FireLance

Legend
The eladrin actually is a closer match to a traditional elf, I think. Would omitting the eladrin hurt the possibility of an elven wizard?
One way is to mix and match racial traits from elves and eladrin to get the combination you want, e.g. +2 Dex, +2 Int, proficiency with longsword and bows, Eladrin Will, and Elven Accuracy.

WSmith

First Post
I'm not completely sure. But all 10 levels of the heroic tier is, to me, to much for a 'basic' set. Maybe 1-3 would be better.

Just enough of the powers to look forward to at the begining, and by 3rd level if the players are still interested the PHB is available.

Or did you mean a 'basic' set as in a split between AD&D and the red box?

Hmmm... could you be pining for a neophyte tier?

Not necessarily. When I say "Basic" I am thinking of a concept that would be most beneficial to new gamers, as the red box sets were designed.

With the very little I have seen about comparing 4e to BECM, level 1-10, the heroic tier, seems to come close to what Basic and a small bit of Expert covered in terms of equivalent power, (apples to oranges I know, but I am just experimenting.) That is roughly the goal I am looking for.

Many campaigns lasted for years just on the Basic and Expert sets alone. I think the concept I am looking for is more towards that. Not worrying about Epic or paragon play and focusing on lower level adventuring.

This whole experiment could ruin my street cred's with my fellow Grognards. ;) But, as a fan of "D&D" I sometimes feel compelled to give a look-see to every edition, at least once.

WSmith

First Post
One way is to mix and match racial traits from elves and eladrin to get the combination you want, e.g. +2 Dex, +2 Int, proficiency with longsword and bows, Eladrin Will, and Elven Accuracy.

Ah, that is a good idea. Truth be told, I am not a fan of the Fey Step. I am used to Dimension Door being a spell that takes a magic user many levels to get. I can't say I am comfortable with the Fey Step power. BUT, a combo of the two races might also help to make the "Elf" class I am looking for. That, however, might be for the fan creation forum.

Remathilis

Legend
Your idea sounds good, but just in case you want to go a bit further...

1.) Make sure you strip out the unnecessary feats (like unused racial and class feats) and remove the Deity/Channel Divinity Feats as well.

2.) Consider only one "build", I'd go Blaster-Wizard (choice of Staff/Wand), Trickster Rogue, Guardian Fighter, and Devoted Cleric. You might want to cull a few powers here or there if space is an issue (removing powers clearly meant for the other builds)

3.) You might need to tinker with some classic monsters to get them to fall into the proper tier, such as lowering the power/level requirement on vampires.

4.) Everything else should work as written as long as you limit all classes to 10th and keep all treasure and monsters to no higher than 15th.

WSmith

First Post
1.) Make sure you strip out the unnecessary feats (like unused racial and class feats) and remove the Deity/Channel Divinity Feats as well.

Yes! That is exactly what I intend to do. That came to me when, after trying to read the PHB and loosing interest cause it seem more like a reference book than a rulebook, I started reading the power cards posted elsewhere here and things started making sense cause I was only taking small doses of the info, and that info that was applicable to the classes / races I was interested in.

2.) Consider only one "build", I'd go Blaster-Wizard (choice of Staff/Wand), Trickster Rogue, Guardian Fighter, and Devoted Cleric. You might want to cull a few powers here or there if space is an issue (removing powers clearly meant for the other builds)

It sounds weird to me to call them "builds" but I understand the idea. I guess it is sort of like "kits" in 2nd edition. But, as best as I can tell from my feeble reading of the PHB, the ones you posted seem to match closely the Classic classes.

3.) You might need to tinker with some classic monsters to get them to fall into the proper tier, such as lowering the power/level requirement on vampires.

4.) Everything else should work as written as long as you limit all classes to 10th and keep all treasure and monsters to no higher than 15th.

Good tips, thanks.

Remove ads