• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Basic attack question

Arbanax

First Post
Hi all

My son and I are in a small campaign and we are using the characters for the free D&D day, I wanted to check the math on them and have come across something I'm struggling to work out.

My basic thing is this, a basic attack with a melee weapon is: Str Mod v AC + weapon Prof and any mod from class/or feat right?

Damage is 1[w] + str (is this always the case unless it states it as such) + any feats, not powers or exploits and in this case not magical bonus either?

Its just that under character sheet basic powers the damage and stuff is the same as some of the exploit powers like cleave or reaping strike but without the fluff extra cleave bonus for example. I just couldn't understand how a basic attack was almost as good as a the martial powers cleave or reaping strike.

I'm still getting to grips with Phb so if I've missed anything page ref would be great.

thanks

Ab

jbrhymer

First Post
Hi all

My son and I are in a small campaign and we are using the characters for the free D&D day, I wanted to check the math on them and have come across something I'm struggling to work out.

My basic thing is this, a basic attack with a melee weapon is: Str Mod v AC + weapon Prof and any mod from class/or feat right?

Damage is 1[w] + str (is this always the case unless it states it as such) + any feats, not powers or exploits and in this case not magical bonus either?

Its just that under character sheet basic powers the damage and stuff is the same as some of the exploit powers like cleave or reaping strike but without the fluff extra cleave bonus for example. I just couldn't understand how a basic attack was almost as good as a the martial powers cleave or reaping strike.

I'm still getting to grips with Phb so if I've missed anything page ref would be great.

thanks

Ab

That is correct. Cleave gives you the ability of damage to an adjacent location, and reaping strike allows dealing of damage even with a missed attack roll. But they don't deal lots more damage than a basic melee attack.

Badgerish

First Post
magical bonus and feat bonuses always apply. stat bonuses apply if it says so.

so: basic attack with str 16, +1 warhammer, dwarven soldier training: 1d10+3+1+2 damage

careful attack with the same would be 1d10+1+2

and it's strength based even if you are a rogue

Doomhawk

First Post
Generally, at-will powers are like a basic attack, with one extra small effect. So your powers are better, but basic attacks are hardly bad - which is important, since opportunity attacks are basic attacks, and some powers (Warlord powers, mostly) let you or an ally make a basic attack.

Arbanax

First Post
Can I just check you don't get the Ability modifier to damage on a basic attack unless the weapon says so. So a greataxe the preferred weapon of a dwarf fighter with str 16 on a basic attack gets +6 to attack v AC (+3 for Str, +1 Preferred weapon bonus and +2 prof bonus) then on damage just gets 1d12 (this being a basic attack there is nothing further to add to damage). Is this correct?

thanks

Ab

NorthSaber

First Post
Also, remember to add 1/2 your level to the attack rolls (and defenses, and skill bonuses)! The enemies' defenses will also be higher...

ryryguy

First Post
tangent

This just reminds me of the first time we tried to play D&D, using the blue dragon cover edition. Nowhere was it stated exactly what "Hit Dice" meant, or at least no place that we could find. So we decided that "Hit Dice" was the same as "Hit Points", and our first level party defeated a purple worm in its first fight.

The purple worm did not go down easy though, IIRC the fighter missed the save against its poison tail and died.

My friend asked his friends who had played before and they explained you had to roll a d8 per hit die for monsters' hit points. I think we weren't the only ones who were confused too... IIRC a later printing of the book said something like "Monster hit dice are d8s!" in bold face at the top of the monster section.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads