• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Basic D&D, Holmes Edition - a review

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Oops. Yeah, I remember D&D ads in Marvel comics in the mid-late 80s. And like Riley pointed out, the negative press didn't hit till the mid 80s. But I was talking about how D&D became so popular before that, in the late 70s when OD&D and Holmes D&D was the main editions.

Bullgrit

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Word of mouth?...I suppose...Conventions of wargamers? There wasn't really anything else. No internet for sure. No [widely published] gamer magazines. It must have been a word-of-mouth [EDIT] moVEment [/EDIT]...the likes of which would never be possible in today's world.

I was introduced by family friends (boys my age..who had been introduced by their coupla-years-older brother)...but that was with the Moldvay basic book...that's [?] '81? I don't think I ever saw or played the Holmes edition. Maybe their, teenaged by then [81], brother had.

Last edited:

Balesir

Adventurer
It's a good question. I think in my locality, it was down to timing a fair bit. The guys I hung out with at school (all guys, because it was a boys' school) were all into playing wargames (miniatures) and boardgames like Diplomacy, Risk and board wargames from SPI, reading fantasy and science fiction novels (especially Michael Moorcock) and listening to the likes of Led Zeppelin. When these strange games like D&D and En Garde started showing up, we were naturally interested in them and they spread through the school like wildfire. You could probably say we were a tinder-dry brush, waiting for the spark.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
It is funny.. @Balesir ...and everyone else...that you bring up the cross media elements...fantasy/sci-fi books...led zeppelin...There was, it seems, a convergence of pulp culture at that time (late 70s-early 80s) that just happened...and how far it was planned will likely never be known...if at all...

When I came in in the early 80s and was fairly not aware of the various elements...I had read the Hobbit...I was collecting at that point (though I didn't know it) theChoose Your Own Adventure books...I had seen the Rankin-Bass Hobbit and Return of the King...STILL genius and fills me with wonder every time...plus things appearing on the new thing called "cable" channel HBO, like Legend and Excalibur and Heavy Metal...but I'm an animation junky from waaaay back. The Ralph Bakshi "Lord of the Rings" semi-pseudo-animated story...was played at my middle school (in OHIO!) so that had to be...'84-5 maybe. Though, interestingly, the movie was out in '77.

Still in the early to mid-80's you had things like He-man...the Thundercats...[dare I mention it?] the Smurfs...teams of individuals who each had separate special abilities..."New Wave" and "Punk" were edging their way into the mainstream radio...not to mention the Fleetwood Mac [Tango in the Night thoroughly fostered my interest in their earlier works] and Stevie Nicks [by herself] top hits that portrayed all kinds of mysticism and magic...the Dragonlance Chronicles began being releasing, '84...it was...a GLORIOUS time to be a gamer.

It was...another synergy, even as everyone was talkign and wondering and BUYING these things called "computers" and "word processors"...

There is something to that kind of synergy of culture...ALL culture...music, print, technology...that just creates something that can not be denied. It becomes a part of our communal/temporal [meaning, "for that time period"] mythology. It is wondrous to be swept up in. And it is wondrous to behold...even if you're not swept up in it.

I do not know...in the internet age...if that sort of convergence/synergy is possible in today's day and age anymore...I certainly hope, for D&D's sake (not necessarily WotC's) it is.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
PS/Not so much an EDIT...But yeah,those ads in the backs of the Marvel comics [I remember them too, [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] ] of the time as well...I think I still have, in my comics boxes, some issue of something with that "Dimension Door" scene...and was comPLETELY confused by it when I got to AD&D 4th levl spells ....wasn't how it worked at all...

The Bionic Six? Thundar the Barbarian? Blackstar? and other "Saturday Morning" series. Filmation series like Tarzan. Marvel's forays into tv of the 80s like "the Incredible Hulk" and "Spiderman and his Amazing Friends." Conan movies? Star Wars? Star Trek? [every Saturday or Sunday afternoons, don't remember] DC's Wonder Woman [Linda Carter] series...in reruns...I remember the 60's Batman series in reruns (though I didn't know what reruns were at the time)...the Superman movies? Challenge of the Superfriends, anyone? Even things like Bewitched and I dream of Genie...on every day when I got home from school...G.I.Joe and Transformers cartoons of that era...and as previously mentioned, the Dungeons & Dragons series, itself.

It allllll contributed to a wonder...a fascination...nearly everything presented on tv was something I or one of my players wanted to incorporate into their character/game...an interest in the fantasy and SciFi. It was all integrated...it was all connected...if not in actual story material...but theme...

Just an amazingly creative time in fantasy/scifi pulp culture.

I think...we've lost that...I mean, not "lost" that we can't find it...but "lost" as in it is gone. It's been done. We can not hope to have that level of interactive cross-cultural mythos in the world of the instantaneous internet anymore.

I hope we make more.

B.T.

First Post
So, a dagger and a battle axe do the same amount of hit point damage. But you can attack twice in a round with a dagger, and only once every other round with an axe — that comes to dagger has 4 (1d6 damage) attacks to the axe 1 (1d6 damage) attack. That’s absurd. That’s either extremely poor game design or some sorry editing work. And this isn’t just a cherry-picked section. The whole book is riddled with crazy stuff like this.

I wonder if it is possible that the author had the rules written out but then houseruled a significant portion of them and never changed them.

Janx

Hero
You're still playing Holmes edition D&D? Then, yeah, I guess for you it works just fine. Congrats.

You did give "handholding" a bit of a negative twist in the line I quoted. Even though the Holmes edition was explicitly produced to handhold newbies into the game. It's essentially saying, "This introductory edition is bad as an introduction because we didn't need an introductory edition to introduce players."

It reminds me of: If a project isn't worth doing at all, it isn't worth doing well.

I think the concept that Holmes was wanting to produce -- a basic introductory edition of the game -- is a great idea. It just boggles my mind at how bad the product turned out.

Bullgrit

I've never read or played the pre-AD&D rules. While I'm sure there were some actual rules differences between Holmes and Moldvay (I wouldn't know), I don't think that's relevant here to what Bullgrit is saying.

There is a way to explain how to play D&D that is hard to understand, and a way that is easy to understand. A reasonably minded reader can spot the difference.

It sounds like Bullgrit is asserting that the Moldvay does a better job of explaining it in his edition, than Holmes does in his.

Honestly, that has nothing to do with rules. it's all about writing skill. At best, if Moldvay's was newer, he had the advantage of seeing what needed to be improved in Holmes version.

In any event, the technology behind D&D in that era was not so grossly different that the analogy of comparing Model Ts to Ford Fusions is not applicable.

The simple fact of the matter is that RPG rules text back then was poorly worded and organized by today's standards where professional writers are employed to make Monte Cook's every idea be clear.

That is not a judgement against the RULES that JeffB so loves. The problem lies in the writing skills, not the designing skills of the people involved back then.

The expected point of a Basic set is to introduce the game to people who never heard of an RPG. If given to people of the listed target age and they can't figure it out, then the text fails. D&D was notorious for being the game you had to learn from an existing group. Meaning the game was taught by word of mouth and NOT by the books. At best, the books are then reduced to reference material by people who already know how to play because people taught them, not the books.

That then is a failing of the objective of a Basic set of rules.

The simple test is to hand the Holmes rules to a real writer who can rewrite the text into something comprehensible, without changing any of the rules. Then you hand both versions of the game to people who've never played an RPG, and see which set of rules they figure out how to play.

Anybody who insists the original Holmes text would win is just being obstinate. There are very few works that cannot be improved with better writing and organization.

JeffB

Legend
:sigh:

I never said Holmes was my fave version of the rules or I love them so much.

In fact I said Moldvay/Cook/Marsh was.

I never said Holmes was written better. I said Moldvay actually cleared up some things for me.

My assertion is that it just wasn't as horrendous as the OP thinks it is, looking back in nearly 40 years of retrospect and game design. I was there. we used it, and we had a blast. None of us felt the "need" for better written rules at the time. We felt the need for more "stuff"...spells..classes, monsters etc.

You can argue until you turn blue (no pun intended) how "bad" it was. The Holmes set worked phenomenally well. TSR sold a shitpile of them despite the warts... EDIT- OVER a hundred thousand /EDIT of them (the info is available in lots of places, including the 25TH Anniversary box se, and TSR staffer posts on places like DF and the Acaeum). Plenty of people STILL cite it as their fave edition, and retroclones of it are popping up everywhere.

I really do not see why this is so hard to understand.

Here......maybe I should edit my edit..as I undershot

Frank Mentzer, writing on Dragonsfoot in 2008, commented further on the print run info:
"Before '77 a large print run in gaming was 10,000. A huge run was 50k, and iirc that's what 1st print Holmes was, maybe 2nd print as well. Most of the reprints were 100,000 each (I think Law mentions this in Heroic Worlds) except for the last one (down to 50-75k iirc since TSR was planning a new version)

And some more
Here's what (Lawrence) Schick has to say about the Basic Set in his History section:

"By 1977 TSR realized they would never be able to meet the demand for D&D products by simply releasing more rules supplements. The game was so succesful that even the big toy store chains were starting to sit up and take notice, bu tth eoriginal three-book set would never do for distribution to the mass market - it didn't look or read like a mass market product. TSR decided to publish a simplified, easy-to-learn version of D&D in a larger box with new artwork. Writer J. Eric Holmes revised the rules for mass consumption, and the first Dungeons & Dragons Basic Set was released to the toy stores of America in time for Christmas. It was the first attempt at a really introductory role-playing game, and it was a big hit. Suddenly obscure little D&D was being printed in runs of 100,000 - unprecedented numbers for anything resembling a "wargame". TSR had hit the jackpot

Last edited:

Mishihari Lord

First Post
I started on Holmes basic in 1980 at the fine old age of ten and I remember thinking that it was a pretty simple, straightforward game. Admittedly that was a long time ago and I might think differently if I re-read it now, but I'm pretty surprised at the comments here on it being dense or difficult. I played it for a few years before buying the advanced books.

My primary frustration with it was that it only included detailed information on levels 1-3, but referenced some material for higher levels as well. I kept thinking that if I somehow searched the book hard enough I would find full information for those levels somewhere.

Remove ads