Basic Fantasy Role-playing game?

Solomoriah

Explorer
If you have any pointers that could help me please send them! :lol:
Start simple. For a new game, keep the supplements you offer your players to a minimum... if you've never run an old-school game before, limiting them to the core rules only may be the best approach.

You can always give more later, but taking things away is hard.

Summer-Knight925

First Post
Start simple. For a new game, keep the supplements you offer your players to a minimum... if you've never run an old-school game before, limiting them to the core rules only may be the best approach.

You can always give more later, but taking things away is hard.

Wasn't planning on using anything that wasn't in the corebook, mostly because of the balance issue, just looking at the pyromancer I see an immbalance, necromancer sort of aswell

i MIGHT allow gnomes, not sure, if it comes up then sure, but most likely not.

Also 'monster races' might be in there as well, goblins and orcs mostly

S'mon

Legend
I think BFRPG core is excellent at allowing a lot of flexibility in PC creation - many players find BX/LL 'Race as Class' strange & constraining - and BFRPG is also well balanced between races & classes even at 1st level, unlike BX/LL where Elves are the Ubermensch. Personally I find the human 20% XP bonus a bit offputting, it makes sense but goes against my 'humans are the default' assumption. If I run BFRPG I'm thinking of replacing the human XP bonus with a stat bonus instead - maybe a floating +1 bonus?

Solomoriah

Explorer
The XP bonus is intended to indicate that humans learn faster than the other races.

Necromancers aren't broken too badly, actually... I've had a necromancer and a pyromancer in my campaign recently, and it's the pyromancer I wish I hadn't allowed.

Gnomes are pretty inoffensive. They don't really get that much of a bonus compared to other races.

S'mon

Legend
The XP bonus is intended to indicate that humans learn faster than the other races.

Yeah, I understand the reasoning; I may give the RAW a try for my next PBP. Early days yet, I don't expect to run BFRPG until after my current 3.5e PBP wraps up (unless maybe one of my 4e tabletop games crashes), so plenty of time to mull it over.

Summer-Knight925

First Post
Honestly, it is the only reason to play humans

Although I could see a house rule allowing them to apply their abilities to saves and the other races cannot, but that extra 20% makes up for it

Remove ads