• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Basic PDF Skill Questions

Sir Brennen

Legend
So, during our last game, the characters were doing some activities out of combat involving a number of skill checks. Someone (player B) asked about helping another player (A) on a check. Looking at the rules ("Working Together", page 59 of the Basic PDF), it seems that all that needs to happen is player B says "I help do X", and player A's roll for skill X automatically has Advantage.

So, it seems that, with occasional exceptions that involve tool proficiency (lockpicking), using the rules as described, characters can have Advantage on certain skill checks All. The. Time.

There's some skills where helping out almost always makes sense (STR check to open a door), some where it never makes sense (STR check to jump a chasm). But Survival to track someone? Arcana to recognize what spell the components you found might be used for? ("No, chicken soup is not one of the magic components, despite what your mother told you.") Don't those seem like you need a fellow adventurer proficient with said skills if they're going to help?

Does this seem okay to everyone? Would you place any limits, like only characters with Proficiency in skill X can give advantage? Or go by 3E's rule, where the aiding character has to make a lower DC roll on the same skill before they can give advantage to the other?

Another question: what skill do you use to find something hidden? It's actually described under Intelligence (Investigation) on page 61 of the Basic PDF, but then there's a sidebar on the same page which only talks about Wisdom (Perception) for finding a hidden object. Under the actual Wisdom (Perception) description on the next page, it doesn't mention finding hidden objects at all. I have a feeling I should just pretend the sidebar refers to Investigation. I already feel like 50% of all skill checks I call for are Perception.

Related to the questions above: are the options to have checks made by multiple characters all interchangeable? For instance, when searching a room, are having each character make individual rolls, have the best "searcher" character make the roll with advantage because the others are helping, or treating all the rolls as a group roll all equally valid approaches? Since this edition lets anyone try almost any skill, proficient or not, do "Working Together" or "Group Rolls" make more sense as an option for the DM rather than having all individual results?

I see no big problem with letting someone help with tracking. Two sets of eyes are better than one.

Knowledge skills such as Arcana or Religion I would probably rule that helpers need to be trained except in certain circumstances. For example if the PCs were doing research in a large library and looking for references to a strange magical symbol they discovered, I would rule that even an untrained individual could help locate such a symbol if it appeared in a book or scroll so they could help.

Finding a hidden object simply requires that you look in the correct area. You can't stick your head in a room and do a quick scan and find a hidden trap door under the bed simply because you rolled high enough. I'm so glad interacting with the game world instead of the rules has returned to the game.

If its important for everyone to succeed in a group check use the group check rule -if half or more of the group makes the check then everyone does.

Li Shenron

Legend
So, during our last game, the characters were doing some activities out of combat involving a number of skill checks. Someone (player B) asked about helping another player (A) on a check. Looking at the rules ("Working Together", page 59 of the Basic PDF), it seems that all that needs to happen is player B says "I help do X", and player A's roll for skill X automatically has Advantage.

So, it seems that, with occasional exceptions that involve tool proficiency (lockpicking), using the rules as described, characters can have Advantage on certain skill checks All. The. Time.

Does this seem okay to everyone? Would you place any limits, like only characters with Proficiency in skill X can give advantage?

No it's not ok. It's one of those little things that bother me, because they give me the feeling of a still "half-baked" design work. Just a little forethought and effort could have fixed this.

I'd require the other PC to have proficiency in such skill or tool in order to "help".

Alternative, there's the "group rolls" rule, but it's normally supposed to be used only when really the whole group succeeds or fails together.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
No it's not ok. It's one of those little things that bother me, because they give me the feeling of a still "half-baked" design work. Just a little forethought and effort could have fixed this.

Or they used their forethought and effort to determine it was fully-baked design work, they knew they weren't going to please everybody regardless, most playtesters didn't seem to care, and they figured those who did were going to add in their own houserule in whatever form and fashion they chose.

Maybe A. Maybe B. Who can say really? ;)

Remove ads