• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Basic Sets in General...

Aus_Snow

First Post
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Age-RPG-Core-Rulebook/dp/1934547301/qid=1265437411]Dragon Age[/ame] certainly comes to mind.

paigeoliver

First Post
There were several different versions of Car Wars over the years that were similar to the basic D&D sets.

The Batman RPG was sort of like a basic set for the DC heroes rpg (IIRC), although not officially.

I am not sure if I would actually count Marvel Supers Heroes as a "Basic" product. There was indeed an Advanced Marvel Super Heroes, but I recall all the published support material being for the "Basic" one, making the advanced one the odd pony.

JeffB

Legend
Avalon Hill produced a (blue box) Basic Set for RuneQuest 3 around 1988 or so

The Arduin Adventure was essentially the basic set for the Arduin rules.

James Bond had a Basic Set- though it was the complete rules.

Lhorgrim

Explorer
Battletech has a boxed basic set that is a lead in to the tournament rule book.

The original boxed sets for BT in the 80's and 90's were stand alone systems, but in the last few years Fanpro/Catalyst have created a boxed set that contains the basics, which is expanded by their hardback rule compendium (Battletech Total Warfare I think?) and other scenario packs and expansions.

Scribble

First Post
I really think the idea of a "Basic Set" only works when you build vertically, rather than horizontally, upon it. In other words, it worked for BECMI because later suppliments covered higher levels exclusively and didn't add any more classes, races, etc. The Basic set was of value to anyone looking to play, even casually, and didn't become worthless even when you got serious.

As much as I like the idea of recreating the red box experience and/or having an inexpensive, self-contained entry point, I just don't think it's the right approach for the current game.

But that's pretty much what they're doing with D&D essentials. Start with the red box, then move on to whatever essentials path you wish to follow (player or dm or both.)

Imaro

Legend
But that's pretty much what they're doing with D&D essentials. Start with the red box, then move on to whatever essentials path you wish to follow (player or dm or both.)

Don't the essential players books add new races, classes, builds, etc... along with higher levels?

Scribble

First Post
Don't the essential players books add new races, classes, builds, etc... along with higher levels?

They're broken up...

One players essential is dedicated to the "core" races. Humans, Dwarves, Elves, Eladrin, and Halflings. The other adds ummm if I remember Half-Elves, Dragonborn, Tieflings, Gnomes I think? I don't remember.

In any case, yup- as the player gets more experienced more options are added to the mix.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Also, is my recollection of two starter sets during the 3e era correct?
I recall three, but they weren't called "Starter Set" --
(+) 2000: 3.0 Edition "Adventure Game" including zero miniatures but lots of counters, and eight (8) pregenerated characters: Tordek, Mialee, Jozan, Lidda, Regdar, Naull, Eberk, and Kerwyn.
(+) 2004: 3.5 Edition "Basic Game" including 16 miniatures, with four (4) pregenerated characters: Aramil, Lidda, Eberk, and Regdar. This one included a young Black Dragon.
(+) 2006: 3.5 Edition "Basic Game" including 12 miniatures, with four (4) pregenerated characters: Lanin, Dothal, Carn, and Regdar. This one included a small Blue Dragon.

2006 also saw the release of the "Player's Kit," which included a softcover (i.e. paperback) copy of the 3.5 Player's Handbook and an Aberrations Booster Pack containing eight (8) random miniatures.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Exalted had a free "Quick Start" rule set (which only tangentially resembles the full rule set, but that's a rant for another thread...)

Cheers, -- N

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads