• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bastion... in color??

Azzemmell

First Post
Just wondering, why are Bastion Press's books the only ones with color in the interior art? I thought that only WOTC could do that. Do they have some special agreement?

Azzemmell

gariig

First Post
Hmm, I think its more of a cost thing then anything. To do full color books is prohibitively expensive. I think Bastion products are usually $10 more then other D20 products of comprable size(rough guesstimate, YMMV). Wizards gets away with it because their products sell way more then the average D20 product(even their "bombs") and can make up the cost a little.

enrious

Right, it's a matter of economics rather than license agreements.

I think Bastion prints internal color as a way of carving their niche, thus standing out from their competitors. While this has caused me to pass on some of their products because of the added cost, it has helped sell me on some of their other products.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Azzemmell said:
Just wondering, why are Bastion Press's books the only ones with color in the interior art? I thought that only WOTC could do that. Do they have some special agreement?
Azzemmell

Actually, that isn't entirely true.

Both Fantasy Flight Games and Mystic Eye Games have released products with colour pages. All of these happen to be for the DragonStar line of products, but they are indeed colour.

In addition we have Alderac Entertainment Group who have published the Rokugan hardcover in colour.

Ashy

First Post
enrious said:
Right, it's a matter of economics rather than license agreements.

I think Bastion prints internal color as a way of carving their niche, thus standing out from their competitors. While this has caused me to pass on some of their products because of the added cost, it has helped sell me on some of their other products.

I think that is the general idea. Jim wants Bastion to stand out as a result, so he foots the bill on the front end. :)

Azzemmell

First Post
Ok, thanks.

I seem to remember WOTC raising one eyebrow at some publishers awhile back over OGL conformance issues and thought that the color thing was part of it.

I can see how obviously color would raise cost. I would like to see other publishers use color. It's not a huge issue, but it can add a lot to a book. Maybe a special (non-big-hardcover) book once a year would be cool.

Azz

Paul_Klein

Explorer
...and Swrod & Sorcery's EverQuest RPG, Monsters of Norrath and the Gamemaster's Guide are all in color.

I'll tell ya this: If I ran a d20 publishing company, I would also go full color, and foot the bill. Talk about standing out among the competetors!

Havilor

First Post
Color isn't necessary to stand out. There is a book coming out soon (written by yours truly) that will stun you with the beauty of the artwork, and only the cover will be color.

Color is a nice perk. It attracts the eye, and is certainly interesting. But the eye sees better detail in black and white (basic human physiology), and that's why many photographers prefer black and white to color.

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
Havilor said:
Color isn't necessary to stand out. There is a book coming out soon (written by yours truly) that will stun you with the beauty of the artwork, and only the cover will be color.

Who's the publisher?

Last edited:

Bamphalas

First Post
Re: Re: Bastion... in color??

HellHound said:
In addition we have Alderac Entertainment Group who have published the Rokugan hardcover in colour.

As well as the Farscape RPG in which most of their interior images are hi-res photos.

Remove ads