• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bathrooming

jcfiala

Explorer
In my collection of DM tricks and techniques, I've got one I call 'Bathrooming'. I don't have to use it too often, but it's useful.

You use it when your game is going along nicely, you've set up your players to go with option A or B... and they decide to take option Q. You didn't really expect option Q - it requires you to come up with a couple hours worth of material right now, and you don't have it. (This happened to me last night. "You ally with the Lich?")

So, you go to the bathroom. Take care of the necessities. And then take some time to brainstorm up something to use. No one will interrupt you in th bathroom. No one will be staring at you while you try to come up with something new. You're alone, you've got something to sit on if you need it, and you can talk to that nice, understanding GM in the mirror as you try to figure something out.

And then you come out, and continue the game.

Henry

Autoexreginated
And who DOESN'T do this??? :)

Actually, I might also call a "kitchen break" and tell them I've got to "think about something." -- and I'll go get a drink, or a snack, and think while finishing the snack.

KB9JMQ

First Post
I have done both the bathroom and kitchen break routines.
It is better than sitting in front of the group with the "deer in headlights" look trying to figure out what to do now that they have destroyed Plan A, Plan B and the super secret I wont have to use it Plan C. ;)

I have also told my group to take a snack/drink break before so I can "get things in order"

greywulf

First Post
Just remember to keep a copy of the more obscure Monster Manuals in the bathroom for inspiration :)

Also, if you run out of paper, Monstar Manual II will at last have a use too.........hehehhehehe.......

Blue_Kryptonite

First Post
Real DMs "spontaneously" grin ferally before "catching" themselves. Then try to make it look like they're surprised.

Works every time. My players start third-guessing themselves.

Of course, I Improv all my sessions, but they{/b] don't know that.

JoeBlank

Explorer
diaglo said:
i like to kill PCs while they have their pants down too.

It is dangerous. First he plies me with coffee, knowing I can not resist but also knowing I have a small bladder. Then I have to go to the bathroom, and I'm not safe there.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Henry said:
And who DOESN'T do this??? :)
Honestly, I have never DMed nor played a session while in the bathroom. I don't like people talking to me while I'm doing my "business" there. :p

But I do utilized Time-Outs or Recesses, especially if you're saved by the time or by hunger.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads