• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker (SPOILERS)

Xaov

First Post
You know between the original death sequence and the cleaned up death sequence I thought the cleaned up one was a little cooler. However I am in the same boat as everyone else saying that this was an awesome me. As for the show. Its probably been one of my favorite cartoon since the Batman Animated Series.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
I've got a behind-the-scenes "making of" video for this movie. It's great to see the writers, directors, animators, musicians and other creative crew who put it together talk about it. The thing that really became obvious was that they all got into it, it was more than just another job to them.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Just wanted to add that this is one of the greatest parts of the entirety of the Batman Animated Series...and that's a series that set the bar high to begin with.

There's a fanfic out there somewhere, a very high-quality one, of what Tim Drake endured at the Joker's hands, and what happened afterwards, but I can't seem to recall the title or find it now.

AFGNCAAP

First Post
(In spoiler tags for those who have'nt seen the movie yet.)
One of the most twisted lines in the movie (& 1 of my favorite):

Joker to Batman: "If you don't like the movie, I've got slides."

Nice & twisted--a great Joker line.

Psychotic Dreamer

First Post
I used to think Mask of the Phantasm was the height of Batman-ism. Then Return of the Joker came along and redifined what I thought of as the height of Batman-ism. This is truely a great movie.

The Serge

First Post
AFGNCAAP said:
(In spoiler tags for those who have'nt seen the movie yet.)
One of the most twisted lines in the movie (& 1 of my favorite):

Joker to Batman: "If you don't like the movie, I've got slides."

Nice & twisted--a great Joker line.
This is one of the BEST LINES in any epic, nemesis encounters. I'm not using spoiler tags since the thread indicates that there will be spoilers, so watch out...

What I love about the whole interaction throughout that flashback is how hateful the relationship between the two characters is. It's obvious that The Joker and The Batman truly detest each other and that The Batman regrets not giving in and finally killing him. Despite this regret, he still can't do it and The Joker knows it. Rather than waste any more time trying to destroy The Batman by driving him to commit murder, The Joker focuses on the next best thing (in the cartoon, for the first time): he destroys Batman's "family." The ultimate failure would be for the "son" Batman has to fall into madness and evil. This would be the ultimate Joker victory for it would reveal that no matter how hard Batman tries, there's no way to overcome the meaningless, chaotic mess that is life. It would be the ultimate punchline.

Klaus

First Post
Props must be given to Dr. Leslie Thompkins. I can't begin to imagine how hard it would be to reverse what the Joker did to Tim Drake.

But Terry mocking the Joker was absolutely awesome, too. "So you fell in a vat of acid and came out with green hair and a weird smile. Boo-hoo." or something to that effect. :)

Caius

First Post
I had to watch it again after all the talk. damn that was a good movie so many things that you miss the first time around. I did notice the plunger, it made me laugh although I'm kind of curious as to what part of the experiment it was used in.

I enjoy Harley too much, "Sweetie get mommies bazooka." She always cracks me up. Plus how on earth could she have survived that fall since Dee Dee called their grandmother Nana Harley *nice touch that they ended up working for the Joker*

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads