• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Battle Cleric of Dumathoin, advice.

Lord Ravinous

First Post
We've recently started a new FR game, and I've recently multi-classed my character. So what I'm asking is for some advice on how to make an unconventional character survivable to the higher levels. My stats are as follows:

Ranger 3/ Cleric 1 (Dumathoin) [Domains: Cavern, Metal]

Str [16] Dex [16] Con [16]
Int [13] Wis [16] Cha [10]

Feats: Thunder Twin (1st level), Survivor (3rd level), TWF (Ranger), Endurance (Ranger), Weapon Focus-Warhammer (Domain)
-----------------------------------------------------------
I have been using a MW Dwarven Waraxe, Armor Spikes, Mithral Shirt, and Hvy Mithral Shield (which I've used for bashing aginst undead, and been able to connect with on a regular basis). Now, I've recently taken a level of Cleric, and gotten Weapon Focus for free from a Domain, and am considering dropping the shield for a while and using a Warhammer in it's place (I know this incurs a massive penalty, but I can deal with it for now), and will possibly be droping the Dwarven Waraxe later on in levels, since I'm not focusing on it.

While my character isn't "focused" on melee fighting, he does however get into melee alot, this is something I can't help, and tend to enjoy. So what I'm asking is this, "What feats can I take from now on that could possibly prolong my character's "survivability" in melee combat, so that I may keep enjoying him for months to come?"

EDIT: Narrowed down what I wanted, and made it easier to read

Last edited:

reapersaurus

Explorer
umm.. I would never build a melee-focused cleric character the way you have so far, and those feats are hideous for a melee character IIRC.

Darklone

Melee... Ranger... means light armour. Get an (ugh!) elven chainmail as soon as possible.

Feats: Anything that keeps you alive. Die hard is a good choice for you, you already have Endurance.

Think about polearms (Combat Reflexes and similar stuff) and the Spring attack routine (nothing keeps you from Whirlwind if you multiclass to fighter) to stay out of full attack actions from both sides.

Edit: Two Weapon Defense or a shield would be a good idea.

Last edited:

The Souljourner

First Post
Die Hard is crap! It just means that when the enemies stop attacking you, you're dead instead of being unconscious. :p At best it's +10 hitpoints. Don't take it.

Don't forget, warhammers are not light weapons, so you'd be fighting with some big penalties with those two weapons.

I do agree, it's an odd class combination, but I think both clerics and rangers are good enough that it won't be ridiculously bad, and you definitely have the stats to do it.

I recommend taking improved shield bash, and going Dwarven War Axe/light shield. You'll need the AC since you have to wear light armor for the ranger abilities, and it'll make your off hand do 1d6 as a light weapon, which is about as good as you can get anyway. Don't take spring attack or polearms, since neither work at all well with two weapon fighting.

A mithral chain shirt doesn't have to be elven chain... they're the same stats and everything, but there's no reason he couldn't have dwarven-made mithral chain. A mithral breastplate works just as well, and he'd get an extra armor bonus in exchange for a dex bonus he can't take advantage of anyway. Only problem is that it has a slightly worse skill penalty.

-The Souljourner

Lord Ravinous

First Post
I had considered Die Hard, if for nothing else, low level survival. I may toss in a couple levels of Fighter for some feats if I have to. Medium Mithral Armor is a must, I'm workin on gettin' some right now (likely Mithral Breastplate, best bang for the buck)

Darklone

3.5? Shields would cause 1d4 damage IIRC...

Mithral chain shirt? I was talking about the elven chainmail... AC +5, Dex max +4 ...

mithral chain shirt =|= elven chainmail

TWF is dangerous for you... you have bad AC, medium hitpoints and not max BAB. But well...

Lord Ravinous

First Post
Magic Slim said:
Also, unless I'm forgetting something, at the levels are at, you're taking XP penalties. That's bad, no?

Slim

Our dm doesn't really like Favored Classes, and don't apply Xp penalties, unless we start abusing his leaniancy. I think if I take the levels in Fighter, that that would be pushing the envelope a little, so I wouldn't do that w/o talkin to him about it first.

Remove ads