• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Battle Master / Martial Adept Maneuvers

Dargrimm

First Post
Can you still use maneuvers after all your superiority dice are expended?

There is nothing in the rules that says that you cannot, so I guess it is possible (just without adding the superiority dice's extra damage).

Am I correct?

Would love to hear your opinions.

the Jester

Legend
Looks to me like the maneuvers all say that you have to "expend one superiority die" to use them. I'd say no, but I only skimmed really quickly.

guachi

Hero
No, you can't use a maneuver without expending a superiority die. Every maneuver has the phrase "expend one superiority die" in the description as a condition of doing the actual maneuver. I'm not sure how it can get more clear than that.

Mercule

Adventurer
No, you can't use a maneuver without expending a superiority die. Every maneuver has the phrase "expend one superiority die" in the description as a condition of doing the actual maneuver. I'm not sure how it can get more clear than that.
This is how we play it for my wife's Fighter. Your question is a bit like asking "can I still cast spells without slots?"

Dargrimm

First Post
Well, actually it says "you can expend one superiority die". It says "can" instead of "must", so that implies that you can use a maneuver without expending any superiority die, am I wrong?

guachi

Hero
It uses "can" because it's a choice. You can choose to expend a superiority die and do whatever the maneuver does. Or you can choose not to expend a superiority die and you don't get to do anything the maneuver does.

See the flavor text on the previous page (73) for illumination - "learn maneuvers that are fueled by... superiority dice". The maneuvers aren't fueled merely by being a Battlemaster. You have to actually use the die.

guachi

Hero
It's what makes the level 15(?) ability to get one die back when you're out so cool. It's effectively 1d12 or whatever your die size is at that point extra damage a round as most of the maneuvers require a hit to use the die.

Korgul79

Explorer
It's what makes the level 15(?) ability to get one die back when you're out so cool. It's effectively 1d12 or whatever your die size is at that point extra damage a round as most of the maneuvers require a hit to use the die.
I think it's meant to be every combat, not every round. By the standard rules you roll initiative (And thus get back the superioity dice, if you have none left)just once at the beginning of the encounter, not every round. But I don't see granting this bonus every round will inherently brake anything, except for maybe letting the battle master slightly outshine the champion, damagewise.

fuindordm

Adventurer
I do think it would be interesting if the game provided a mechanism to use maneuvers when you have no dice left--for example by expending a HD to use the maneuver without a bonus, or through a feat cost, or in some cases just allowing it as a combat action that replaces the attack action. For example, if you know the disarm maneuver it makes sense for you to be able to try to disarm without also doing damage. But each maneuver would require a slightly different treatment to be balanced.

But I agree that the intention requires you to spend a die.

Remove ads