• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Battle mats What markers are best?

Dremen

First Post
What markers are best at erasing off a battle mat? I belive I have a Crystal Castle mat. It has 1 inch squares on one side and hex on the other. It is parchment colored and has a border of some sort.

I heard dry erase don't work well on these.

-D

D'karr

Adventurer
Do not use Dry Erase markers on a vynil mat. You will ruin it. The ink will not come off.

Use a non-permanent marker. I use vis-a-vis non-permanent markers. They are inexpensive and work well. They are used for writing on transparencies. You can find them on office supply stores like Staples or Office-Max.

Forever

First Post
The only problem with the vis-a-vis markers is that if you leave them on too long, they stain the mat. My boyfriend/DM learned that the hard way. :/

D'karr

Adventurer
The stains will come off if you use a cleaner with bleach. I think I used either Formula 409 or some shower cleaner to take off the stains.

And if you clean the mat after using it, you just avoided that problem.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
One more point of note, don't use RED markers. They stain faster than other colors. I would stick to black and blue.

I also use Vis-a-Vis overhead markers (wet erase), which you should be able to get at an office supply store. Barring that, most game stores sell sets of Staedtler wet erase pens. Frankly, I prefer the Vis-a-Vis. Cheaper, and a better quality felt nib.

Wulf

Redleg06

First Post
Staedtler NON-PERMANANT water erase are the best. Don't use the alcohol erase will stain your mat.

(Save your money and buy the 3d dungeon maker stuff!)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads