• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Battle of Pyres -- Bag o Rats 4e?

Sojorn said:
Heh, ok, another question then. What's up with the sustain action? What does that let you actually sustain? No part of that spell lasts until the end of your next turn.
It allows you to keep making the secondary attack every round for a standard action.

Sojorn

First Post
Interesting.

The reading of the power except seems to indicate that each attack only occurs once unless the power specifically says otherwise. The "Make a secondary attack" wording is just to show that the secondary attack is only made if there is a hit during the primary.

The secondary attack target info would instead read "One creature for each hit from the primary attack. The same creature can be targeted multiple times. Targets must have ongoing radiant damage." if that is what they meant.

At least by my reading of what I know of the targeting rules. I might be biasing that towards my sense of what feels appropriate for the level 20 PP powers :)

Alkiera

First Post
I think the big question is if the secondary attack that you get from the "Hit:" string is per target hit, or not.

I.e. Cast this spell, you hit 5 enemies, they take 2d8+8, say, and get the ongoing damage. Do you then make 1 secondary attack, or 5 secondary attacks? You did the rest of the text under 'Hit:' 5 times, once to each hit target... why not the 'Make a secondary attack' too?

The sustained effect is pretty nice, but probably only a single use of the secondary power per round; but if you really get to make X secondary attacks int the initial round when you hit X enemies with the primary attack... That's a freaking Doomsday weapon. It makes for a nice visual, too...

The party is surround by many powerful undead; vampires, wights, even liches! The Warpriest holds his holy symbol high and screams "You want a fight? By Pelor, it'll be a Battle of Pyres!" White energy explodes from his symbol to the surrounding enemies, and many of them flinch in pain, and begin to glow white themselves. The leader chuckles, "You'll have to try harder than that, these are not mere minions..." The cleric replies, "I'm not done yet." The creatures who are glowing suddenly flare up, massive bolts of light leaving each of them, to impact another glowing corpse with holy light, far worse than the initial wave. The rest of the party lays into the screaming crowd. Even after that second wave, the cleric continues to concentrate heavily, and white bolts continue to fly between the glowing creatures, with a flash of light and a wail of pain.

malraux

First Post
Alkiera said:
I think the big question is if the secondary attack that you get from the "Hit:" string is per target hit, or not.

I.e. Cast this spell, you hit 5 enemies, they take 2d8+8, say, and get the ongoing damage. Do you then make 1 secondary attack, or 5 secondary attacks? You did the rest of the text under 'Hit:' 5 times, once to each hit target... why not the 'Make a secondary attack' too?

The sustained effect is pretty nice, but probably only a single use of the secondary power per round; but if you really get to make X secondary attacks int the initial round when you hit X enemies with the primary attack... That's a freaking Doomsday weapon. It makes for a nice visual, too...
The sustain takes a standard action and lets you make one attack.

Remove ads