BATTLE OF THE BARDS - Heat 4!

In case anyone is wondering, my tune "Pistolero" is specifically a Pathfinder song. It's all about the Gunslinger class. Whee! :cool:

In case anyone is wondering, my tune "Pistolero" is specifically a Pathfinder song. It's all about the Gunslinger class. Whee! :cool:

Janx

Hero
I went with Level One. That guy from Austin's had clever songs in each heat, this one felt better than his others.

I don't know enough about this SJ Tucker. Her stuff sounds fantastic, and on that merit would have won.

But once again, I felt like this was a song that she had that "kind of fit" rather than a song she wrote about D&D. I'm being a stickler, but it let me cast my vote for the other works that I felt better fit the competion's loose topic of "songs about D&D"

Don't get me wrong, SJ's stuff is really good from what I've heard. Probably better overall composition, musical technique, vocal quality and complexity of the multiple vocal tracks (choruses make bands sound better).

It is probable that I was being over-picky, but that's the criteria my super valuable single vote measures by:
topic fits D&D/RPGS/fantasy adventuring
vocal quality was listenable
instrumentation was decent

I didn't realize Pistolero was referencing PathFinder's GunSlinger class (don't play it), so that sort of got ruled out. Sorry. I would have liked a little stronger vocals on it, or a female singer (women singing about a strong woman character seem to work well)

This has been a pretty good competition. All the songs were clever.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
This has been a pretty good competition. All the songs were clever.

I was really surprised and pleased at how well this competition has gone. As you know, I was doubtful it would work; I'm delighted to be proved wrong.

Everett

First Post
Janx said:
I went with Level One. That guy from Austin's had clever songs in each heat, this one felt better than his others.

I don't know enough about this SJ Tucker. Her stuff sounds fantastic, and on that merit would have won.

But once again, I felt like this was a song that she had that "kind of fit" rather than a song she wrote about D&D. I'm being a stickler, but it let me cast my vote for the other works that I felt better fit the competion's loose topic of "songs about D&D"

It is probable that I was being over-picky, but that's the criteria my super valuable single vote measures by:
topic fits D&D/RPGS/fantasy adventuring
vocal quality was listenable
instrumentation was decent

I frankly couldn't care less whether a song is explicitly about D&D. Level One is clever, but none of the other four really hold a candle to Were-Owl. It's explicitly fantasy/adenturing if you must have gaming criteria, and the song contains so much more than is aspired to in self-conscious twaddle about rolling dice or indistinguishable verses about brave adventurers that we must never forget/because they were brave/and adventured/and so must never be forgotten ad infintum...

Were-Owl's power and skill leaves the other entries in the dust.

Janx said:
Don't get me wrong, SJ's stuff is really good from what I've heard. Probably better overall composition, musical technique, vocal quality and complexity of the multiple vocal tracks (choruses make bands sound better).

You're absolutely spot-on there. I used a simple yardstick here: I paused each song about a minute in. Were-Owl was the only one I wanted to go on listening to, and actually discovered new things to appreciate about on a second listen. The others are cute but none of them have any lasting value.

That Were-Owl is languishing in 3rd place is a real shame, and says something about people's inability to trust the artistic instinct.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Once again? Her last song was called Playing D&D. It was about.. wait for it.. playing D&D. :hmm:
My guess is that [MENTION=21712]Everett[/MENTION] was referring back to "Ravens in the Library" from heat 1, another fine song with but a tenuous connection to topic.
Everett said:
That Were-Owl is languishing in 3rd place is a real shame, and says something about people's inability to trust the artistic instinct.
I've got entries in two heats so guess where my vote went there; but in the other two heats the song I liked most (and thus voted for) didn't win either.

Lan-"it's all in the ear of the beholder"-efan

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads