• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Battle Royal Help

Thatwackyned

First Post
Hello everyone. I'm new to 4th and need your help. I've never built my own 4th char, i've only used pre gen chars for the few 4th adventures we played.

My gaming store is having a Battle Royal. We get to use the core PHB to create a 4th level char. We get 1 level 4, 1 level 3 and 1 level 2 magic item from the vault. We will divide into teams and then just bash into eachother till someone wins.

From reading the forums, i know most chars are built to use Healing Surges throughout 3 to 4 encounters, but this will be just one encounter.

I really don't know what race or class to pick, but I would like a class that most groups say, "Damn we need another one of those."

I'm being vague, but i'm new.

Oh, is there a way to make a Fighter that wears plate and crits often?

gnfnrf

First Post
4E parties are nicely balanced so there is a use for every character role. Generally speaking, it's easiest and safest to double up on defenders, followed closely by strikers. Leaders and controllers are very useful to have multiples of, but can easily step on each others toes with powers when doubled up.

Whatever you choose, focus on defense. In the first few rounds, when the daily powers are flying, there will be enough damage on the table to drop a typical PC in 2-3 hits. Make sure you either won't be hit or you have some extra HP to handle it. Defensive utility powers are a good idea as well. A few races (halfling, warforged, dwarf) have defensive racial abilities, so you might want to consider one of them.

Most of your targets will have at least one low defense, and you should be able to tell which one, so classes like the Wizard and Warlock that can spread their attacks over multiple types of defense may have an advantage over the Ranger or Fighter. Whatever class you choose, look for attacks to target a variety of defenses.

Or, ignore all of this and make a character that appeals to you; I'm sure you can have fun playing virtually anything in a game like this, even if you didn't optimize.

--
gnfnrf

Mengu

First Post
If you are new to 4th edition, an archer ranger is the easiest class to build and play. Leaders and Defenders take a bit more finesse to play to their fullest.

Go with an archer ranger, and go for offense all the way. Start out with Dex 19, Wis 17, Con 13, and you can bump Dex and Wis at 4th level. Grab Greatbow, weapon focus bow, lethal hunter. Pick Twin Strike, Nimble Strike for your at-wills. Grab an inescapable weapon, a cloak of distortion, and some hide armor of resistance (maybe fire?). This will make you a fairly accurate striker, and every party needs one or two of those. You'll also be relatively safe shooting from a distance (cloak should protect you) so hopefully you won't be a drain on the healer.

Thatwackyned

First Post
I was thinking playing a Dwarf Cleric. There is a Daily Power that you can summon a Divine being that does 1d8+Wis damage to everyone in it's range. The reason is that this will be one encounter and the being lasts for one encounter. I'm thinking that some extra damage is always a bonus.

Last edited:

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
Make an orc fighter with a vicious greataxe.

You will do a lot of damage...and can take a lot of damage (by picking powers that let you heal yourself) before going down.

Alternate...if you want to cheese a win...make a super stealthy elven rogue and run in between pillars using deft strike, thrown daggers, and move actions to get back in cover and hide again. You will be pretty indestructable unless someone comes after you.

DS

Thatwackyned

First Post
So I was thinking using the points buy of 17, 15, 12, 11, 10, 8. After the racial bonuses and the 4th level increase it would look like. Str 16, Dex 11, Con 14, Int 8, Wis 20 and Chr 10. The powers that i think i'll choose are Daily: Lance of Faith and Sarced Flame. Encounter: Healing Strike and Command. Dialy: Guardian of Faith. Utility: Cure Light Wounds. Feats: Armor of Bahamut, Toughness, Weapon Focus (maces) and Power Attack. Magic Items: Level 2 - Dwarven Armour, Level 3 - Frost Weapon, Level 4 - Healer's Brooch.

Any thoughts?

Akaiku

First Post
Find a group with 2 tac warlords with lead the attack as their daily. Preferably human ones with action surge. Then they can pop their starting action point and give your side a large bonus to hit forever. Each can do that to seperate people. Then have the rest of the party be high damages somethings.

Rechan

Adventurer
Here's a thought.

Go with a halfling. Why?

Someone is no doubt going to try and tag you with a daily. The Halfling's racial power lets him say "No, you are going to re-roll that attack." So if you know something nasty is coming at you, you can prevent it (hopefully, at least).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads