• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Battlemats

Oompa

First Post
Me and my group play D&D 4th edition, we love to use miniatures and the use of an battlemap.. We have an big battlemap now, made it ourselves with laminating 2 big flip-over sheets..

The thing is really worn out now and i would like to get an new one, but i was also checking online an bit..

Is there any good website to get battlemats from? (squared)

Most sites i find dont have pictures of the mats..

And any other things i should look in to?

Webby140

First Post
I can recommend the Chessex battlemat.

If you're in the UK SquashGoblin.com is a good site for them - they're irregular (meaning their cut so you don't get about 2 squares you should do) but that's still 26x26inches and you can use OHP pens to draw out the dungeon.

Festivus

First Post
Another vote for flip mat over the chessex here. You can write on it with wet erase, dry erase, permanent marker and it all comes off. It's weaknesses are two: Don't spill water on the edges (as I found out), and it doesn't come in as large of sizes as the chessex (this isn't a huge problem for me, the flip mat is large enough).

frankthedm

First Post
DO you have / can you get pegboard with holes 1 inch apart? DO you have / can you get a sheet of vinyl from a craft store?

Lay the pegboard across a sheet of vinyl. Dot the vinyl with a permanent marker through those holes. When gaming, mark on the mat with Children's Washable Markers.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=213563

Fast & Cheap - Pegboard or other 1" grid with clear vinyl on top of it.
Cheap - long sheet of fabric store marine vinyl, lay peg board over the vinyl, doting each hole with a permanent marker for a battle grid.
Fancy - Tabletop with 1" or 2" mosaic tile as a surface. Plexiglas sheet on top or clear vinyl tablecloth.

upholstery / Marine vinyl
751xd3.jpg

Pegboard should be available at a hardware store.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Ktulu

First Post
I use a large chessex battlemat with a plexiglass sheet over it. You can put maps underneath the plexiglass and write over with dry-erase, and it keeps the mat much, much cleaner.

Glyfair

Explorer
I agree with the two most common suggestions here.

The Chessex megamats are great. You need wet erase (over head projector) markers. However, they will give you the room for just about any battle you want. As an early review said, you can even use them as an impromptu picnic cloth. You need to roll them up for portability.

The Flip Mats are great because they can take almost anything. They can be folded up and made very portable. However, they are bad for big battles (only about 16" x 22") and the folds can really get in the way.

Betote

First Post
For convenience, I recommend GameMastery Flip-Mats. When folded, the take up more or less the same space as a DM screen, so you can carry your whole game (flip-mat, DM screen, PC sheets and some module) in a simple folder.

Remove ads