• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Battlemind article out

Cheesepie

First Post
Note that it's not just battleminds that only get 1 power point at lvl 13; it's the same for all the psionic classes that get power points.

Deverash

First Post
One thing I thought was beneficial was spelling out just what get changed when you augment the at-wills much more thoroughly. There were some cases in the psion that I wasn't quite sure if a condition was replacing another condition, or in addition to the original.

Destil

Explorer
I'm so glad the Curse of the Crimson throne game I'm playing in is nearly over, because if not I'd need to re-stat my Cha based Kalashatar paladin as a battlemind.

I really like the class. For one thing the 'cheep' augments are designed far better than the psion or the ardent. The psion's in particular are terribly linear and often feel worthless, the ardent is a bit better (but mostly just come down to 'good if you need will defense). But it's clear that the design team got a lot better at making these over time, since this sounds like it was the last of the three classes from Mearl's notes and some of these are real gems. Lose threatening reach for a turn? Yes please! They also have a central class ability that costs 1 PP, which is interesting design space...

I also love the daily stance options. Psychic warrior was one of my favorite classes in 3E and seeing some well designed, useful but not overpowering (from what I can see) self-buffing powers for the battlemind makes me smile.

Artoomis

First Post
Hey, it's a defender I actually want to play!

The other defenders haven't appealed to me, but I love this. Maybe it's my love of psionics. . but the Speed of Thought power alone was enough to hook me.

Hmmm... I wonder what the multiclass feat will grant. I love the idea that my barbarian could get in the enemy's face before you move once. But... it probably own happen that way.

Rechan

Adventurer
The powers look pretty impressive, and man that mark can hurt since you can deal the same damage your opponent did to you!
On the other hand, wouldn't it be a waste and rather useless if you're fighting minions? Since it's not a to-hit based power, but autodamage?

Turtlejay

First Post
On the other hand, wouldn't it be a waste and rather useless if you're fighting minions? Since it's not a to-hit based power, but autodamage?

Minions die to autodamage, they just don't die on missed attacks.

I finally had a chance to look at it a bit ago, and My thought was that several of the powers looked like winners if you had some Rogue in you. Or if you were a Rogue with a little Battlemind in you.

I'm very curious about how Multiclassing and Hybrid classing will work.

Jay

Destil

Explorer
Deadly haste strike. Dear god. The only thing I can see keeping this in line is that missing doesn't deal any damage...
http://www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/power.aspx?id=10454
One, two, three or four creatures, shift your speed between each attack, 3[W]+Con on each hit and you get a stance that grants you an OA that when you hit you shift half your speed and make a melee basic against a second target.

Also, having now looked over epic I'm a bit worried. Hard to justify the horribly weak epic level augmented at-wills.

The psion had 3/4 that were pretty much in the ballpark (1 die of damage on a power that wouldn't get a damage die as a level 1 at-will) with one that had no excuse not to do two dice.

The ardent was around 2/2 or 3/1 (depending on party compisition).

But the battlemind looks to be 0/4. You'll want one at 23 regardless so you have an Augment 6 option. But you'll need to invest in melee training by epic, because there's no other way to deal out 2[W] without power points. Sad, but I suppose I should have expected this by now.

DISCLAIMER: I haven't done any playesting at epic with psionics, but it's terribly hard for me to see why your at-wills don't scale like everyone else when unaugmented. You don't even have the option of the cheep augment until 23rd, while everyone else gets the basic 2W attacks right at 21. And when you do get it it costs you some power points...

Last edited:

Kinneus

Explorer
Not a huge fan, flavor-wise. Read the design article; it's pretty funny. "I had this great idea for a guy called the ironjack, and he was supposed to be this awesome Feywild trickster-warrior... but, then that didn't work out. So here's a Psionic Defender, I guess."

They really just seem like Psi-Wardens. It's mostly the little things that seem lacking. They're supposed to be like pyschic warriors or pyschometablism-users, right? If they can make their skin as hard as iron, then why use armor and shields? If they had a flat AC bonus class feature that discouraged them from using armor and shields, even that would go a long way in their favor, flavor-wise.

Remove ads