• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Battlemind, Seeker, and Runepriest

Larrin

Entropic Good
Battlemind: People complain about a lack of MBA, and that its punishment technique is fiddly and tempermental.

Seeker: People complain that it isn't very good. I've always assumed this means its powers neither control nor otherwise impact the battle enough. *shrug* I've only seen them played by not very experienced players, so my only complaints so far have been user error (ie never using encounters, dailies, or class features).

Runepriest: People complain that its hard to keep track of all the little bonuses, but people who don't mind this seem to really like the class ( Except the rune feats, which most people think are a horrible trap). Seeing as its a class based on giving out lots of little bonuses (that may be hard to keep track of) its hard to say this is something that needs fixing. Most people just want more options (espeacially in feats).

chitzk0i

Explorer
The Battlemind is an odd duck. The class features don't do much defending or stickiness by themselves, but with the right powers and tactics you can more than make up for that.

The biggest problem with the Seeker is the powers. Most of them are soft control that count on piddly damage to sway monster behavior. They might be able to carve out a niche as a 'high damage+weak control' controller if their powers were all x[W] instead of [w]+dice.

The Runepriest has good buffs that are always on, at-will and encounter. They have terrible healing, though. They make a good leader in a regular group where there's another leader to patch the poor healing. The main reason I avoid the Runepriest is I play LFR, so I'd have to explain 3 different buffs every single round.

Riastlin

First Post
Aye, the runepriest is pretty decent in its own right for what it does (buffs and damage) but is also very fiddly and the rune feats are absolutely all or nothing endeavors. The runepriest is the least healing of the leaders, but makes up for it with the buffs and damage.

I'm currently playing a 5th level runepriest and I quickly resorted to making little table tents with my assorted buffs on them that I could put up as the battle progressed. One good thing about the terrible rune feats I guess is that it has freed me up to choose a lot of different feats that I might not consider if the class feats were better.

As for the Seeker, can't really say, haven't seen them that much.

The battlemind seemed pretty decent to me when I had one in a group I was DM'ing. I didn't notice a whole lot of problems with it, but also only saw it for a couple of levels before he died.

Mithreinmaethor

First Post
Aye, the runepriest is pretty decent in its own right for what it does (buffs and damage) but is also very fiddly and the rune feats are absolutely all or nothing endeavors. The runepriest is the least healing of the leaders, but makes up for it with the buffs and damage.

I'm currently playing a 5th level runepriest and I quickly resorted to making little table tents with my assorted buffs on them that I could put up as the battle progressed. One good thing about the terrible rune feats I guess is that it has freed me up to choose a lot of different feats that I might not consider if the class feats were better.

As for the Seeker, can't really say, haven't seen them that much.

The battlemind seemed pretty decent to me when I had one in a group I was DM'ing. I didn't notice a whole lot of problems with it, but also only saw it for a couple of levels before he died.

I took some red poker chips and painted one side blue. then wrote the offensive buffs on the red side with a sharpie and the defensive buffs on the blue side. Handed them out and just had everyone flip the chip over when I changed states.

Mengu

First Post
Battlemind - let them use Con for basic attack and damage. That's all they need. The punishment mechanic is a bit funky, but it's not terrible.

Seeker - Give them hunter's quarry, call them a striker, and I think they actually would be fine. Trying to make them better controllers is just too much work.

Runepriest - The rune feats need adjustments.

[sblock=house rule stuff]
Rune of Eloquence - add, you also may use Wis instead of Cha when making Diplomacy or Bluff checks.
Rune of Hope - change bonus to number of rune feats you have +3/5/8.
Rune of Vengeance - change bonus to number of rune feats you have +3/5/8.
Rune of Zeal - add when you second wind, gain resist all equal to number of rune feats you have +3/5/8.
Rune of Escape - allies within 5 also add same bonus to saves against slowed, immobilized, and restrained.
Rune of Torment - change bonus to number of rune feats you have +5/8.
Rune of Health - change bonus to number of rune feats you have +8.[/sblock]

Spatula

Explorer
Seeker - bloodbond seekers get bows / crossbows and can upgrade to superior versions. Spiritbond seekers get javelins and really have nothing good to upgrade to. It also pigeonholes the spiritbond seeker into using spears, which is limiting thematically.

twilsemail

First Post
Seeker - Give them hunter's quarry, call them a striker, and I think they actually would be fine. Trying to make them better controllers is just too much work.

Alternately, give them the Hunter's "Expert Archer" feature and call them a Controller.

SpydersWebbing

First Post
So Battleminds need an MBA.

Give Seekers Expert Archery in addition to his At-Wills?

Find a way to give Rune Priests better healing?

Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

Remove ads