Battletech Campaign

BobProbst

First Post
I thought about the ongoing campaign a bit and would love to follow up with it. Some points that Chris or Craig were raising was about who would run the "bad guys".

It really would need to either be the GM (responsible for all enemy mechs/troops) or we'd have to split the teams -- some people playing one faction and others would play the other. In the latter case, there may not be much of a campaign to play since half the players would likely die each session.

Mark, you'd really be committing to a lot of effort and organization (especially in the record keeping side of things) to run all enemies -- though with the I Go - You Go nature of the game it wouldn't be prohibitive.

I suggest we start off with a bunch of light mechs and we have to earn and salvage our way up to the big ones. It would work well to either have us play as mercs or start as a special forces team that is sent out on missions.

Some fun scenarios could be Search and Destroy (knock out communications, factories, supply points, etc), recon (using a large scale map to plot our routes and then move to small maps for a fight), assassinations, taking out forward positions, Intel gathering.

I'm definitely interested in working up our own mechs and pilots. Next time we play, I'd like to incorporate piloting rules and melee.

Any other big rules points that Craig can think of?

Grimhelm

First Post
I have to admit on the surface the whole ideas still appeals to me. I could even see Vince getting into it. Maybe we could play on teams with he and I designing scenarios.

With only a modicum of preparation, we could easily avoid "stacking the deck". I think it would be fun to try it out... I could even see more role playing opportunities as we really got into it. There's nothing to say we couldn't anyway.

Grimhelm

First Post
Incidentally, Vince likes the idea of coming up with scenarios and playing as a team with me against you guys. I like the idea of post apocalypse world, whenever that would be, Craig. But first, we should continue to familiarize ourselves with the game mechanics a bit more...

Remove ads