• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Battletech D20?

Pigeon

First Post
Does anyone know where I can find d20 rules for mechs? One of my players has expressed an interest in running a D20 battletech type game, but he's not to sure about adapting the rules himself. It's not often I get to actually play and so want to make it as easy for him as possible!

Cheers.

Aaron L

Hero
An issue of Dungeon/Polyhedron (Dun 95/ Poly 154) had rules for mecha for use with D20m Modern that were pertty good. There is a sourcebook for D20 mecha by Dreampod 9 (I think) that I haven't seen.

I would love a d20 Battletech game.

Darke

First Post
As an Ex-BattleTecher I love Armageddon - it's a lot like BT only with better explained tech and stuff. And it looks really really nice with all the CGI-images from the WarMeks.

At the end of this month it's Armageddon ! ;)

das Darke

Hollywood

First Post
Darke said:
As an Ex-BattleTecher I love Armageddon - it's a lot like BT only with better explained tech and stuff. And it looks really really nice with all the CGI-images from the WarMeks.

May have to check that out... hopefully they took a more OGL'd approach rather than using the broken20 Modern as a basis. :/

But as for the original poster, the Mecha rules in Polyhedron are a bunch of junk as far as a BattleTech-esque flavor is considered. Essentially they are just large suits of armor that add to the character's abilities, and not weapons of war that are controlled by but are not part of the character.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Hollywood said:

May have to check that out... hopefully they took a more OGL'd approach rather than using the broken20 Modern as a basis. :/
You want to elaborate on that?

Are you unhappy that Poly have not yet release their mini-games under OGL? :rolleyes:

But as for the original poster, the Mecha rules in Polyhedron are a bunch of junk as far as a BattleTech-esque flavor is considered. Essentially they are just large suits of armor that add to the character's abilities, and not weapons of war that are controlled by but are not part of the character.
Hence, I said it is more Anime than "walking tank" genre. :rolleyes:

You got a problem with Anime mecha? Go sue the Japanese.

Hollywood

First Post
Ranger REG said:
You want to elaborate on that?

Well, i.e. M&M didn't just slap supers on D20, they actually took the time to put together an interesting system that works well and works for supers quite well.

So I hope Mongoose did the same. I don't want classes, unless they are very basic.. [and no, not like the silly ones in d20 modern].

Are you unhappy that Poly have not yet release their mini-games under OGL?

No, haven't seen anything that peaks my interest enough.

Hence, I said it is more Anime than "walking tank" genre. You got a problem with Anime mecha? Go sue the Japanese. [/B]

Not particularly... I actually liked Five Star Stories. But irregardless the guy asked about BattleTech [although the original designs were Macross, etc. designs] which has a completely different feel.

And no I didn't read your one line post, I missed it. And you know, rolling your eyes, makes it seem like your post was written by an adolescent... which based on other good posts you've made, I know you aren't.

Blacksad

Explorer
Ranger REG- you have read the d20 Mecha rules?????
How do you know that they are more anime than armagedon's rules? I have the Mecha Compendium (from DP9) which use the rules from d20 Mecha (from GoO), and inside you'll find d20 stats for the Mecha of Gear Krieg, Heavy Gear, Jovian Chronicles and many new setting.

The author of d20 Mecha (David Pulver) is the author of GURPS Mecha, and while I did not like this book (while I liked GURPS Technomancer from the same author), because it is more focused on GURPS rules than typical GURPS sourcebook, the system, as the system from BESM (which appeared first in Cool Robot Big Starship, still from the same author), is generic and meant to do any mecha style.

Also, it was mentionned that Mongoose had access to the d20 Mecha rules and will try to make their Mecha as compatible as possible with Mecha produced through d20 Mecha, and if they did not use the rules, it was because setting specific elements changed the cost of several features, while GoO book is effect based (i.e. you choose the stats, then you'll have a cost, while many construction system let you choose the elements of your construction, then you figures the effect, there is chances that it's why Mongoose use a different system).

I don't know BattleTech, but based on this if it's a near futur setting, Armagedon will certainly work, and provide many rules for character war tactics, etc... But if it is based around any other time period, depending on how much the original poster wants to spend (d20 Mecha is at $19.95 for 80 B&W pages softcover while Armagedon will be Harcover Fullcolor high page count and around $40 IIRC), to perhaps choose d20 Mecha. I know that I'll wait for review of both before taking any of those.

Last edited:

Remove ads