• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

BBC LOTR question

Phowett

First Post
What is this BBC Radio adaptation of the LOTR that I keep hearing about? And is there any way I can get to listen to it?

Sulimo

First Post
It is a brilliant radio play that the BBC did back in '81. It went for 13 hours (26 30 minute episodes, which was recut into hour long chunks for the tape/CD release).

As for hearing it, unless lightning strikes and you have a local station playing it you'll have to grab a copy on tape/DVD. Well, there are the usual underhanded methods of course...

Crothian

First Post
Sulimo said:

Well, it's light years ahead of any other adaption imo.

I've never heard any of the other adaptions. The BBC is one is perfectly fine, I don't want my not brilliant remark to look like a I hate it.

Sulimo

First Post
Crothian said:

I've never heard any of the other adaptions. The BBC is one is perfectly fine, I don't want my not brilliant remark to look like a I hate it.

Well, the only other adaptions I know of and have heard/seen are the Bakshi adaption and the Jackson adaption. Those are the ones I'm comparing it too.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
In this BBC edition, Ian Holm - yup, the same British stage actor who plays Bilbo in the movie - plays Frodo. He's brilliant. He does things with the character that I would have never suspected, and as a result my understanding and appreciation for whole sections of the books has changed.

In addition, the tempting of Galadriel is what the movie's should have been. As performed, it's my favorite part of the whole 13 hours, and gives me shivers every time.

The only real weakness (other than some crappy music) is the battle scenes. Big battles are hard to depict on radio, and this is no exception.

Gary N. Mengle

First Post
I've got both the BBC and NPR radioplays, and have sat down to compare them side-by-side.

On the one hand, the quality of voice acting in the BBC version is clearly superior. And more of the story from the books makes it in, as it's several hours longer. I think it's the better version overall, though there are places in the story where I think the NPR did a better job.

It is, however, a bit unfair to compare an adaptation of 13 hours (for the BBC) to 8-9 hours (for the films). And frankly, the radioplay could afford to appeal to a tiny audience of hardcore geeks (since it cost very little to make, and the BBC isn't really held accountable if they produce something that's notpopular) - the filmmakers don't have that luxury.

Qlippoth

Explorer
My first exposure to the BBC series was a feverish search on the web for any kind of stream to keep me from going bonkers while working 60-hour weeks. I found a few streaming sites that played the series nonstop (ended up listening to various parts of it repeatedly over the course of 2 months). The streams disappeared once New Line started financing the Peter Jackson productions...so I grew up & bought the CDs. I still listen to them every couple of months.

Michael Tree

First Post
Is the BBC production a literal reading of the book, or is it an adaptation like the movie is?

In other words, is it a bunch of actors reading the book, or is it a radio play based on the book?

Remove ads