• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[BDV] Open Call for Sci-Fi E-Zine

I'm happy to announce the launch of our free science-fiction e-zine, TERRAFORMER. Right now, we're shooting for 20 pages and quarterly release, but that may change depending on the response. The e-zine will include material for our sci-fi campaign setting, Dawning Star.

The sections we are looking for contributions, the expected word count, and the payment for each are listed below:
  • Organizations/NPCs/Plot Hooks (1,000 words, $15)
  • Xenomorphs (500 words, $10) - statblocks and descriptions in d20 Future format
  • Equipment (500 words, $10) - Weapons, cybernetic implants, etc. in thematic groups.
  • Advanced/Prestige Classes (500 words, $10)
  • Locations (1,000 words, $15) - Descriptions of specific locales that could be the site of a combat or other encounter.
  • Fiction (2,000+ words, $30)
  • Feats/Talent Trees/Occupations/Etc. (No Payment) - These individual mechanics will be used as sidebars or adjuncts to other articles.

In addition to any payment, contributors will get a credit line in the publication. These kinds of contribtuions can be a good stepping stone to bigger gigs. I feel obliged to reiterate the tale of one Chad Barr. Chad submitted an alien in response to our $10 alien open call last year. I liked Chad's writing so much, I invited him on board on a permanent basis. Chad got a cover credit on Dawning Star: Operation Quick Launch and is also working on our upcoming Helios Rising.

Submissions should be sent to justin[at]bluedevilgames[dot]com along with full contact info, including full name, snail mail address, and e-mail address.

For fiction, we are only seeking first printing rights. For all other material, we will purchase the full copyright.

Last edited:

MRTrice

First Post
Blue Devil Games is a blast to work with and the diversity of opportunities listed here appears to offer a real chance to shine in new areas of design. I love the idea of a start up Dragon for sci-fi--my personal observation and supposition only.

Michael R Trice

Can you feel the love?

I thought I would add that we're holding submissions open until at least June 1st. I'll institute a firm deadline as we approach and see what kind of response we're getting.

Greenworld45 said:
What kind of fiction stories are you looking for? Is there anything specific that you do or don't want?
I'm open to anything that's well-written and entertaining and/or thought-provoking. I'd lean against anything that's excessively and graphically violent or sexual, but I won't say it's verboten. I'd prefer something that's fully grounded in the Dawning Star setting, but I wouldn't rule out something that was merely compatible with it. I'm also fairly flexible about length. Again, if it's well-written, I'd consider even longer pieces.

Thanks for your interest.

NewLifeForm

First Post
Any artwork needed?

SF is my favorite genre and creatures are my specialty. Any need for illustrations to go with the xenomorph stats? I mean check out my username for cryin' out loud ;) . Seriously though, I would love to contribute to such a product.

NewLifeForm

"It's life Jim, but not as we know it..."

Most likely, Danilo Moretti (the art director for DS) will be doing the art. However, I'm always on the lookout for new artists. Feel free to e-mail me with samples or a link to your portfolio along with your current rates for quarter-page b&w and quarter-page color.

Wycen

Explorer
*waves* Just wanted to confirm what the others have said, that working with Justin and Blue Devil Games has been a very positive experience

Chad Barr, aka Wycen :)

Yami no Hon

First Post
I should have a submission to make, but I'll be out of town and away from all signs of civilization (like, oh, the internet) until the first of June. So expect an email from me on the 2nd or 3rd.

Question about locations: do you want maps included with the submission, and if so, what format?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads