• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bead of Force

Liquidsabre

Explorer
Does a bead of force explode on hard-impact dealing 5d6 damage in a 10-ft radius and then activates a 10-ft radius Otiluke's Resilient Sphere? This means the magic item is a one-time use only. This is the way I'm reading the text of the magic item at present, is it correct?

At first glance, our game group read the text to mean that one could use the explosive-use of the bead once OR they could use the Otiluke's Resilient Sphere aspect any number of times. I went along with it at first since the reading of the text was a bit confusing, but now I am having my doubts. A repeatable use of this 4th-level spell (10 level caster) would be a tad bit overpowered for a mere 3,000gp magic item I would think. Thoughts on this?

solates

First Post
Bead of force is a consumed magic item(like a scroll). One time use only. And i always read it as either or as far as which effect you produce(players choice). Remember the save dc for all consumed magic items is usually fairly low compared to spells the pcs cast as well.

Solates

Liquidsabre

Explorer
solates said:
Bead of force is a consumed magic item(like a scroll). One time use only. And i always read it as either or as far as which effect you produce(players choice).

Keep in mind that the text states: "The explosion completely consumes the bead, making this a one-use item."

If the bead is to remain a single-use item then the explosion must occur during it's use, otherwise the bead is not consumed (as per the text). This is what lead me to believe that both effects of the bead must result from the bead's use, since the use of only the resilient sphere effect would apparently not consume the bead in the process. This is the part that lead my game group to believe that the resilient sphere aspect of the bead would be re-useable (since they believed the two effects were separate). This is why I've come to believe the two effects both occur when the bead is used.

Remove ads