• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Beast Master Exceptional Training (level 7)

SubDude

Explorer
With the new companions in Tasha's, the Beast Master can use a bonus action to command the beast to take an action, typically Attack, but Dash, Disengage, Dodge, or Hide are also possibilities.

At 7th level, the ranger gets "Exceptional Training" which grants the ability to use a bonus action to command the beast to take the Dash, Disengage, Dodge, or Hide actions. But with the Tasha's new options, the Beast Master already has the ability to do this. So the only gain is the beasts attacks become magical.

Anyone have any ideas (new or old ones I couldn't find by search) about how to address this? I'd like the level 7 Beast Master feature to have more value than it currently does.

Fanaelialae

Legend
With the new companions in Tasha's, the Beast Master can use a bonus action to command the beast to take an action, typically Attack, but Dash, Disengage, Dodge, or Hide are also possibilities.

At 7th level, the ranger gets "Exceptional Training" which grants the ability to use a bonus action to command the beast to take the Dash, Disengage, Dodge, or Hide actions. But with the Tasha's new options, the Beast Master already has the ability to do this. So the only gain is the beasts attacks become magical.

Anyone have any ideas (new or old ones I couldn't find by search) about how to address this? I'd like the level 7 Beast Master feature to have more value than it currently does.
I'm afb, but I think that level tends to be utility for most sub classes. Along those lines, and keeping with the concept of "Exceptional Training", maybe the ranger could order their pet to perform actions that are normally beyond what pets can do: "Fido, go to the north wall and pull the third lever". Something along those lines?

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
In my Phandelver game I ran during the pandemic, I believe that when my player of a Beastmaster ranger reached 7th level... it made sense in the game for her fox to "advance" in ability. So I believe I selected a more powerful animal statblock that her companion began using so that it became stronger and healthier, etc. etc., and the companion also got Awoken (per the Awaken spell) to be able to now speak to her mistress and understand and carry out more complex instructions.

Those things may not work for your story, but I know for me it made all the sense in the world. Awaken is a very good spell to help advance a Beastmaster's animal companion if it makes sense in your narrative.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
A few ideas:

Let the beast act as a familiar in addition to its usual benefits.

Let the beast detect magic and favored enemies with its action.

Give the beast its own turn, but it still can only attack when the Ranger commands it to.

Let the Ranger cast “self” spells on the beast, and allow the Ranger to cast spells on the beast as if it were within 5ft of the Ranger as long as the Ranger can see the beast.

Give the beast the benefits of Find Steed in addition to its other benefits.

Give the beast proficiency in 2 skills.

Give the beast an ASI.

Give the beast a defense boost like evasion.

Give the Ranger Find Familiar (with attacks) And Flock of Familiars and add some birds of prey to the list. Let them really be a beast master. They can command one beast to attack as a bonus action.

A lot of good ideas in this thread. I'm inclined to agree that an upgrade to their "mental" capacity is called for. I second the idea for something akin to "Awaken" or the idea to make it function closer to the spell Find Steed. To also borrow a leaf from the new drake warden, you could also perhaps allow the beast to be considered large, and thus ridable as a mount at 7th level. It would be appropriate as an alternative. You don't need to increase it's damage or health, just make it large or capable of bearing a rider.

Remove ads