• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Beasties from the depths of Davy Jones' locker -- how do you use sea monsters?

Kunimatyu

First Post
Darr, what the title be sayin'. How be ye usin the beasties -- dragon turtles, kraken, giant octopuses, and others too horrible ta be contemplatin' -- in yer games?

Fieari

Explorer
My landlubbing castles (fit for sacking) oft'n have subbasements lead'n to subterraining lakes 'r seas, and PCs can never resist donkey ridin' below!

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Assuming my group of fugitive characters survive the Dragonfiend Pact module (no cleric, no rogue, so we'll see) and then the Conan-esque adventure after that, they're going to find themselves in a cliffside village where everyone are secretly wreckers who lure ships onto the rocks to go through the salvage.

And who rules this creepy little village? He's gargantuan in size and has eight tentacles ...

MWAH HA HA HA HA!

Them that dies will be the lucky ones!

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Well mateys I've set me course through a Mythic Polynesia which a' course means lots a islands and open sea.

I have a damned scurvy Aquatic feindish Otyugh as an NPC, the savvy Whale Rider PrC and ta damnable Sahuagin have taken the role a landlubbing Orcs.

The PCs ha met n' scuttled Sharks, Sea Lions, monster waves (water elementals) and a Riptide horror too.

Great fun o'erall Yahaar!

Nonlethal Force

First Post
I typically use my aquatic creatures in the water.

What? You were expecting more? No, seriously. For some reason my players almost always hate choosing water over land. So they don't venture out much. That means that as a DM I typically only get to use amphibious creatures or water dwelling creatures that can stand to be on land for a long time. :(

Matafuego

Explorer
My players hate going underwater for a reason: Sahuagins, Locatahs, Kuo-Toas, Giant Octopuses (Dire versions too), Sharks (+ dire and were), Giant Crabs and Krakens are some of their memories of "spending a little time by the sea".
And they still have some Kuo-Toa loving coming ahead.

I love sea-based adventures, fighting aboard ships (manticores attacked them and so did pirates) or underneath them...

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Matafuego said:
Giant Octopuses
It be Giant Octopi ye scurvy dog! :p

Aye, but I be using lots o' sea creatures in a current PbP o' mine. I be having a likin' fer krakens, but also the buxom wenches of the sea. Aye, I be talking about sirines, mermaids, and other fey that lure sailors to their doom! I also got me a good book by them fine laddies at Goodman Games, it be called Monsters of the Boundless Blue. There be a great deal o' fine and frightening beasties t' put frost in th' blood o' any landlubber! And a few little ones that be just fer background flavor, as it should be.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads