• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Beasties from the depths of Davy Jones' locker -- how do you use sea monsters?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Creatures of Freeport is also a very cheap but very good book of aquatic monsters. It follows the Monsternomicon/Wanderers Guild model of providing more information about fewer creatures.

And can I just say that 4E needs to have sea serpents in the MM1? Talk about an iconic monster that has NEVER made it into the core monster book of D&D. We get a dozen or more monsters that intentionally play off expectations about sea serpents (Creatures of Freeport has a not-a-sea-serpent, for instance), but I think only Seas of Blood has actually given us the real deal (dragon-typed sea serpents). Exasperating.

Raven Crowking

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
And can I just say that 4E needs to have sea serpents in the MM1? Talk about an iconic monster that has NEVER made it into the core monster book of D&D.

Yar! I thought there be sea serpents in the 1st edition Manual O' Monsters!

RC

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Isida Kep'Tukari said:
It be Giant Octopi ye scurvy dog! :p
Nay, that be a common misconception gained by t' mixing of Latin and Greek. Octopuses and octopodes would be more correct, they would.

Where be I? Ah yes.

I rarely get ta use the aquatic boogens, afore me players dislike the water travel, usually. Me favorite encounter I did pull off, though, be in a modified version of "Zenith Trajectory" from Dungeon. In the original, there be a kuo-toa monk who ferries across the PCs over a huge Underdark lake. In my version, he be a were-giant octopus.

T' poor wee halflings ne'er saw it coming.

Demiurge be out.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Avast, the sea serpents bein' in a recent Dragon an' treated as true dragons appear quite good for plunder.

The Fiend Folio can shiver ye timbers with the sea drake if a diffr'nt coiled creep ye seek.

taliesin15

First Post
Kunimatyu said:
Darr, what the title be sayin'. How be ye usin the beasties -- dragon turtles, kraken, giant octopuses, and others too horrible ta be contemplatin' -- in yer games?
By Criminey, ye poor blighter, except for gars, they are all edible! And for the sauce for such critters, look for a bottle marked with the Jolly Roger (skull and crossbones, for ye retching landlubbers) --that always indicates PIRATE FOOD. And if its in a bottle, its either grog or sauce for pooring on the flesh or freshly flayed and fried guts of the sea!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads