• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

beastmaste rangers attks question

kristov

Explorer
as a beastmaster ranger - is it made so that you have to choose between yourself attacking or letter your beast attack?

like i cant sic my cat on sometime and at the same time light him up with arrows from a distance?

the control rules have me a little conufsed - in that it seems if i have my cat move, i cant move - if my cat attacks, that counts as my standard action for the round and so forth?

MrBeens

First Post
as a beastmaster ranger - is it made so that you have to choose between yourself attacking or letter your beast attack?

like i cant sic my cat on sometime and at the same time light him up with arrows from a distance?

the control rules have me a little conufsed - in that it seems if i have my cat move, i cant move - if my cat attacks, that counts as my standard action for the round and so forth?

When you take a move action both you and the cat can move (although you don't both have to move)

If you use a standard action you get to do whatever that standard action says you can do. It's best to regard standard attacks as a power that says standard action: attack target.
If you tell your pet to attack, that is your standard action for that turn.
If you use a power that lets you attack (twin strike for instance) that is your standard action for that turn.
If you use a power that lets both you and your pet attack, that is your standard action for your turn.
You can obviously use an action point to get an extra standard action as normal which you can use in combination with your normal standard action.

kristov

Explorer
Ive been a pretty strong supporter of 4e in general in my little group - we have some naysayers. I must say on this one the naysayers win. I totally get the point of this - for balance - but man just gutting that feeling of freedom in a world with artificial situations lik this.

Another situation that feels that way is the fact a rogue can only sneak attk with a,b,c. and that doesnt include bows? I realize they didnt want the power gaming ranger to use a rogue sneak attk with bow - which seems to be the only possible reason. Just really kills the open-ended feeling the previous D&D games had I think. Moreso than i expected.

Oh well, im rambling - just very dissapointed with some of these little things as they become more apparent to me.

AngeltheTechrat

First Post
This one bothers me, too. It's as if, as soon as combat starts, your Ranger and their Companion are suddenly running on a slow processor.

"Oops, I have an hourglass while the processor handles the other one, please wait."

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
Most of the powers involve both the ranger and the beast participating.

The At-Wills are similar to commander's strike, one partner distracts the bad guy so the other can hit harder. As for the encounter and dailies, most of them involve both the ranger and the Beast attacking at the same time and/or free moves for one or the other.

So on most round, both partners are actively involved.

Remove ads