• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Beat Spell List for an Evil Cleric?

Vrylakos

First Post
You're 13th level. You're a Half-Fiend Doppleganger cleric, domains either Trickery, Evil, or Knowledge.

Which Domains do you take?

Also, what spells do you cart around?

Any suggested tactics?

Vrylakos

Tessarael

Explorer
Trickery gives you Bluff, Disguise and Hide as class skills, which you definitely want as a Doppelganger. Make sure you have decent INT, so that you can put some skill points into these as well as Concentration and one or two other skills (i.e. INT 14 or INT 16).

Evil seems a more powerful domain than Knowledge for an evil Cleric. Knowledge gives you some more skills, but you're already going to be short on skill points, as they're going into Bluff, Diguise and Hide ... so no need for more skills.

I assume you mean a Doppelganger (4 HD + 4 Level adjustment)/Half-Fiend (+4 Level adjustment)/Cleric 1. Do you realise that your character is extremely weak compared to a normal character of that level? Doppelganger with class levels is already weak, but better than normal with Disguise and Bluff. Add in Half-Fiend, and you really don't have a leg to stand on. You'll only have 5 HD total at 13th level ... so you'll be getting damage reduction 5/magic, spell-resistance 15, Darkness 3/day, Desecrate 1/day, Unholy Blight 1/day from Half-Fiend ... it's not really worth it unless you have a high class level.

Hrmmm and the Evil domain and Half-Fiend abilities overlap a fair bit, so Knowledge might be a better choice for versatility.

Just my thoughts ...

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Are you the DM? Is this guy a Cleric13 no matter what his ECL?

If so, yeah, go for Evil and Trickery. I'll post more info when we know for sure what level you are in Cleric.

-- N

nameless

First Post
I imagine that this is an NPC, and has 13 levels of Cleric on top of everything else. CR 3 Doppelganger +1 CR for half-fiend +2 CR for 4 nonassociated levels of cleric +9 CR for 9 more levels of cleric = 15 CR. That sounds about right to me.

I agree that Knowledge and Trickery are probably the two better domain choices. Summon spells are probably a good choice. Create Undead could also be good, since you presumably don't care what it does as long as it doesn't kill you. Destruction would be good, because it destroys the remains there won't be evidence that you killed and replaced someone. Cleric spells are pretty straightforward (more so than Wizard spells), so as long as you pick a versatile spell selection (a variety of save types, and good against single targets or groups), it'll work for you.

Remove ads