• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

BECM D&D UK Editions?

Technomancer

First Post
The following quote from a thread on Dragonsfoot:

Likewise, I started with Moldvay. I really didn't like the Mentzer boxed sets. I had moved on to 1E AD&D at the time, and though the Mentzer boxed sets were awful.

But I did pick up a UK Mentzer 5th edition, and with the entire pule set in a paperback novel size book, it really works. It is written slightly differently for the UK market, but the size if the killer. Its a step back to the digest sized books of old.

There was a paperback novel-size version of Mentzer D&D? Does anyone know anything about this? I would love to get my hands on such a creature. Is it pretty much the same as the regular version?

Geron Raveneye

Explorer
As far as I remember, it was the Mentzer version, put together in a 270+ pages pocket book format. I think one of my friends actually has one, should take a look into it. Just don't ask me where to find one...I'd scour ebay and the used gaming bookstores online. :)

Huw

First Post
I remember it. It had the same material as the red boxed set. A number of RPGs had been released as paperbacks in the UK (Fighting Fantasy, Dragon Warriors and Stormbringer (no, not Elric, something else with a similar name)), and I think TSR were just exploiting a new niche.

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
I've been wondering about a paperback Expert Set ever since I picked up the paperback Basic Rules a couple of years ago. :D

It's in my shelf at home, I'll take a look at it and see how it differs from the boxed set. As I remember it, it the same rules, but I'd have to check first before I stake my first born on it.

/M

Remove ads