• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Beefing up KotS's Story: 1st encounter (SPOILERS)

Khyl'Dran

First Post
I'm finished reading through KotS, and I love it, but I thought I would go hrough each encounter and see whats missing in terms of story. Give everything a little more weight.

So starting with the first encounter, it bugged me a little bit that it is so similar to the A1 Ambush, which happens to be the very next fight the players go through.

So to give it a different flavor, here is my idea (I know it's cliché, but I thought it'd go well with the feel of the story):

As the characters move up the road, they hear a little girl's scream from up ahead. As they approach they see the Kobolds tieing up a small Dwarf girl, and getting ready to put her in a sack.

The reason for this is that Kalarel needs the blood of an innocent as an ingredient of the ritual. He asked Ninaran to aquire it, and she prepared this Kobold trap for the little girl (who is the Smithy's daughter). Ninaran is actually standing nearby, hidden, watching the whole thing.

When the party attacks, Ninaran will watch until only 1 Kobold remains. Then she will join the fight to help the players kill it! .

She figures: "The fight is lost, I might as well earn the trust of these adventurers, since they seem able and I will have to deal with them soon."

When the Kobold is dead she will pretend to be very relieved, claiming she saw the girl leave town but lost her trail earlier, and if it weren't for them it would have been too late!

She will try to earn their trust, and therefore when she is eventually revealed as a spy, it will be a more significant event than it currently is as written in the module.

What do you think? Thoughts/criticism? Improvements?

Any other ideas for other encounters/sections of the adventure?

savage3e

First Post
That's a good idea. I'll probably swipe that for my run through in a couple of weeks. I like that it feels less like "everything knows you're here and is waiting for you" and more like "look what's going on around you". Plus it gives the PCs a deeper connection to the townsfolk. Never a bad thing.

Well done.

Last edited:

Ebon Shar

Explorer
I'm going to use that as well, but since some of my players are probably reading these threads, Ninaran will NOT be the spy. Someone else will....

fletch137

Explorer
Good idea with Ninaran. I'll have to mull that over a bit and see if I can fit it in.

My plan was to kick off that first encounter with a little levity and have the PCs come across a very poorly disguised pit trap in the road. When the characters stop to wonder why someone dug a 3' hole in the road and covered it with branches, the kobolds minions will rush out and try to push someone into their devilish trap. The encounter will run just as scripted, but I wanted a specific hook to start it rather than "you were walking down the street when suddenly from the bushes..."

For the second encounter on the road, I'm looking at having the vengeance-seeking kobolds lying in wait with the entire road covered in branches to really hide the still too-small pit trap.

Khyl'Dran said:
What do you think? Thoughts/criticism? Improvements?

Any other ideas for other encounters/sections of the adventure?
A great idea. I was already thinking about how I could make Ninaran spy status more interesting. This is a great way.

Off course that affects the reception the PCs have in the town - if they save someones life before they enter Winterhaven, the atmosphere towards them will be quite positive.

pariah131

First Post
Oh that's good, I'm stealing the branch covered hole and the road full of holes...

I thought it was a little RP light so I plan on including some nightmarish flashes as they progress through the dungeon. Turn a hallway and see the captain of the guard being beheaded only to fade away, or the lord of the keep taking the sword to his kids... Of course this might make the party want to kill him more when they eventually run into him later so I figured maybe a DC20 perception check to hear his voice mourning over what he did after each attack.

Irda Ranger

First Post
What's the smith's daughter doing out in the woods? Shouldn't she be in the Keep?

Since it really doesn't matter to your story you should probably make it a farmer's daughter from somewhere nearby. Otherwise, nice twist.

Remove ads