• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Beguiler/Rainbow servant

Physiker

First Post
I'm working on a build which is able to cast every Cleric spell spontanously so I would start with Beguiler 6 / Rainbow servant 10.
Since the Beguiler knows every spell on his list, he would be able to cast any cleric spell when you reach Rainbow servant 10.
The only problem is, do you need a high Wisdom score to cast this spells or not ?
There is nothing about which ability is to be used. The only thing in Complete Divine is, that you cast those spells as Divine spells, which is a point for Wisdom. But you don't get any new slots, and the slots you have are arcane ones with intelligence as ability.

Physiker

First Post
Oh, sorry, I misread your first post.
The "No" implied a "you can't make suche a build" to me.

But doesn't this build make the straight cleric rather powerless ?
At least when you start a high level campain and do not need a healer till level 16...

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
A lot of things change in terms of power when you start at high level as opposed to level 1 or so. Nonspellcasters are from the very outset likely going to be weaker than the casters. Dual casting progression prestige classes are letting out by 16, so the character starts right away as a decent caster in two classes, instead of having to struggle his way there the first 5-6 levels, straddling two classes with very little synergy.

In general, there are a lot of "theoretical builds" -- many of which are on the char op boars on WotC's site, which look awesome, but in fact take many levels to achieve that awesomeness, including often having to endure being weaker at lower levels before it all comes together. Building for the future, and all. But if you start at high levels, the future is now!

Not saying any of this as an indictment of high level starting play, but there are major effects of doing so on the game.

As you noted, if you had to make this guy from level 1 and the group had no other healer, it wouldn't work out nearly as well. :)

Dandu

First Post
Oh, sorry, I misread your first post.
The "No" implied a "you can't make suche a build" to me.

But doesn't this build make the straight cleric rather powerless ?
Not quite. Cleric still gets Turn Undead and Divine Metamagic: Persist Spell.

Though you can get that too if you went for Sacred Exorcist.

For the vast majority of your campaign, until you get up to level 16, the cleric will still have his role and you yours.

(You can pull the trick off at level 14 if you use early entry methods to get into Rainbow Servant, such as Versatile Spellcaster and Heighten Spell.)

As you noted, if you had to make this guy from level 1 and the group had no other healer, it wouldn't work out nearly as well.
Beguilers can UMD wands of Cure and Vigor, which is what the cleric would likely do to heal people anyways.

Physiker

First Post
I'm not that good at power gaming, so I don't see how you can get all the cleric spells at level 14.
And I don't like losing XP through multiclassing, so I'd prefer a build with only two classes.

Since we play a campain which will take the players from 1 to 30 and are currently at level 14-15 this build is not far from being possible.
I was just looking for an alternativ for cleric or favored soul which is not as common.

Dandu

First Post
Versatile Spellcaster

Type: General
Source: Races of the Dragon

You can use two lower-level spell slots to cast a spell one level higher.

Prerequisite: Ability to spontaneously cast spells.
Benefit: You can use two spell slots of the same level to cast a spell you know that is one level higher. For example, a sorcerer with this feat can expend two 2nd-level spell slots to cast any 3rd-level spell he knows.

Heighten Spell

Type: Metamagic
Source: Player's Handbook v.3.5

You can cast a spell as if it were higher level than it actually is.

Benefit: A heightened spell has a higher spell level than normal (up to 9th level). Unlike other metamagic feats, Heighten Spell actually increases the effective level of the spell that it modifies. All effects dependent on spell level (such as saving throw DCs and ability to penetrate a minor globe of invulnerability) are calculated according to the heightened level. The heightened spell is as difficult to prepare and cast as a spell of its effective level. For example, a cleric could prepare hold person as a 4th-level spell (instead of a 2nd-level spell), and it would in all ways be treated as a 4th-level spell.

This allows you to cast third level spells when you get second level spells, thus qualifying sooner. (The FAQ supports this.)

Sacred Exorcist is not another class, but a prestige class that grants Turn Undead, so there would be no multiclassing penalties.

Shin Okada

Explorer
Yes, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer or Warmage who took 10 levels of Rainbow Servant can be a very strong character. Still, you must have Character Level 21 to know true 9th-level spells (not heightened lower level spells), as Rainbow Servant class lowers your spell casting progression by 3 levels in total.

Considering the fact that a 17th-level cleric or 18th-level Favored Soul can emulate 7th or lower spells of any class via casting Miracle, I don't know if Rainbow Servant combo is overtly powerful.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads