• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Behind the design of 5th edition Dungeons and Dragons: Well my impression as least.

Imaro

Legend
Oh man! I've found that what I call "social conflicts" that use the skill challenge formula are awesome. So much better than just formless RP or Diplomacy checks.

What I do is call for checks when I, as the DM playing the NPC, am not sure how the NPC would react to what the PC just said. (Which also requires speaking in more-or-less first person, but whatever.)

What I find with social conflicts is that the outcome tends to go in places that none of us would imagine. Which is the point of dice, I think; give us something better than what we could come up with if we just RP'd it out. I've found that, without these techniques, the outcome of social interaction is rather boring.

When I speak to SC's I am talking about the pre-determined x successes before Y failures, set difficulties and lack of opposed rolls as well as the general structure of high level abstraction most of the ones I've seen use. This is a structure, at least by your statement above, which you seem to have dropped. In fact I'm finding it a little hard to discern what the difference between your method and just free-form roleplaying it with appropriate skill checks (my method) exactly are. Are we just talking past each other or do you make use of the actual SC structure?

Hussar

Legend
[MENTION=48965]Imaro[/MENTION] - when you say "actual skill challenge structure" do you mean SC's as presented in the PHB 1 or SC's as presented in 4e as a whole. Because there is a world of difference there.

Imaro

Legend
[MENTION=48965]Imaro[/MENTION] - when you say "actual skill challenge structure" do you mean SC's as presented in the PHB 1 or SC's as presented in 4e as a whole. Because there is a world of difference there.

SC's as presented in the Essentials Rules Compendium, which I thought was supposed to be the final iteration of them. It' been awhile since I've looked at them but I believe everything I listed is still a part of SC's in the final version. Now I'm not claiming people can't houserule them but at that point we aren't talking about SC's except in a context that's so broad it's kind of meaningless...

Hussar

Legend
Fair enough. My point was that there is significant difference in SC's as 4e developed. And, I'm not sure the strict, rigid adherence to the mechanics was ever meant to be the only way you could play SC's. The adventures published for 4e did mess about, from time to time, with the base mechanics. If you insist on a strict, rigid adherence to RAW SC's, then, I agree with you, they are probably less fun than they could be. But, I always saw SC's as the start, rather than the end point.

Imaro

Legend
Fair enough. My point was that there is significant difference in SC's as 4e developed. And, I'm not sure the strict, rigid adherence to the mechanics was ever meant to be the only way you could play SC's. The adventures published for 4e did mess about, from time to time, with the base mechanics. If you insist on a strict, rigid adherence to RAW SC's, then, I agree with you, they are probably less fun than they could be. But, I always saw SC's as the start, rather than the end point.

But then what are we discussing when we say SC? If the structure is thrown out the window then we're basically saying skill checks however you want to do them, which I have no issue with but then there's no distinction in calling them SC's specifically...

EDIT: I mean isn't it the structure that creates the finality that many find are one of the SC's greatest benefits?

seebs

Adventurer
But then what are we discussing when we say SC? If the structure is thrown out the window then we're basically saying skill checks however you want to do them, which I have no issue with but then there's no distinction in calling them SC's specifically...

The big thing they gave us was a formalization of "how hard it is to do the thing" and "what the rewards are". And that's sorta cool. It's one of the reasons I don't get complaints about 4e being the most-combat-focused D&D. How many editions of D&D have ever had an actual formal rule for evaluating the difficulty of non-combat encounters and assigning rewards to them? That'd be 4e, and none of the others.

Eric V

Hero

Agreed. And DMG2 really elaborated what could be done with a skill challenge. Using that, we even had a great "courtroom scene" in our last 4e adventure.

Imaro

Legend
The big thing they gave us was a formalization of "how hard it is to do the thing" and "what the rewards are". And that's sorta cool. It's one of the reasons I don't get complaints about 4e being the most-combat-focused D&D. How many editions of D&D have ever had an actual formal rule for evaluating the difficulty of non-combat encounters and assigning rewards to them? That'd be 4e, and none of the others.

So the big thing was formalized difficulty and XP?? Ok, I guess I can see that... but without the structure that falls apart doesn't it? It's the structure of the SC that allows you to get those values and for me the trade off just isn't worth it. I prefer the method in 3.x of ad-hoc assigning XP based on how hard I thought the encounter was for the players and/or just taking the XP value of the opponents, hazards, traps, etc that they overcame through the skills and awarding it... but to each his own.

the Jester

Legend

EDIT: I mean isn't it the structure that creates the finality that many find are one of the SC's greatest benefits?

No, the main thing that defines a skill challenge is that it's a noncombat challenge worth xp. The structure of the challenge itself can vary tremendously, and over the life of 4e the published examples did vary tremendously.

So the big thing was formalized difficulty and XP?? Ok, I guess I can see that... but without the structure that falls apart doesn't it? It's the structure of the SC that allows you to get those values...

No, the structure doesn't matter so much, outside of the basic "How many successes do you need?" part, which determines the xp.

Let's take a couple of examples.

There's an example that was posted online and later made it into the DMG2 about sneaking around a slaver city, with the number of failures determining how alert the enemies are to the pcs' presence in the city. This isn't a "you fail at 3 failures" SC; it's more "the better you do the easier the rest of your mission will be." This is a vastly different beast than the "x before y" approach.

Another way a skill challenge could work would be not to determine success or failure, but how long does it take to succeed? I ran a great SC in my 4e game where the pcs were looking for a half-sunken yuan-ti ziggurat in a swamp. They couldn't fail out of it, but until they got enough successes, they couldn't find the ziggurat in question. (Failures resulted in complications, and to be fair, the yuan-ti Indiana Jones and his pals were excavating the lowest levels in hopes of performing a nasty ritual, so if they hadn't eventually found it, there would have been consequences. But there was no 'failing' the challenge per se.)

Then there's the traditional "x before y" SC. Perhaps the pcs, trapped in the Underdark, seek to build a raft out of fungus to navigate an undersea river. Failing might mean that the pcs fail to build it at all or that the raft falls apart as they are on it.

There were SCs that allowed group checks- the slaver city one, or the trek across the Shadowfell desert in P1- instead of individual ones. There were SCs that allowed you to remove failures instead of just building successes. I never ran a SC as "only these skills apply"- I always took the listed skills as "these are some approaches the group might take". If you were in a SC that used Diplomacy, Intimidation, Religion and Insight, but you came up with a good way to apply your Streetwise, awesome! Just before 4e released, there was a brief adventure that included an urban chase scene that was laid out, basically, as "let the pcs try whatever they want and adjudicate it." The defining trait of a skill challenge isn't "these skills apply" or "x before y", it's "This challenge is noncombat, but still has consequences for failure, and is worth xp for navigating through it without fighting."

seebs

Adventurer
So the big thing was formalized difficulty and XP?? Ok, I guess I can see that... but without the structure that falls apart doesn't it? It's the structure of the SC that allows you to get those values and for me the trade off just isn't worth it. I prefer the method in 3.x of ad-hoc assigning XP based on how hard I thought the encounter was for the players and/or just taking the XP value of the opponents, hazards, traps, etc that they overcame through the skills and awarding it... but to each his own.

The structure can be pretty loose and you still get a basic idea of "if you need about this many skill checks to succeed, it's probably equivalent to an encounter of about this combat difficulty".

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads