• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Behind the Scenes at Swashbuckling in Freeport

Morrow

First Post
Erky Timbers, male gnome Bard 1/ Cleric of Zheenkeef 1: Small humanoid; HD 1d6+1d8+4; hp 16; Init +4; Spd 20 ft.; AC 13, touch 10, flat-footed 13; Base Atk +0; Grp +2; Atk +3 melee (1d6+2, morningstar); SA spells, spontaneous casting, turn undead; SQ gnome racial traits, bardic music, bardic knowledge, countersong, fascinate, inspire courage +1; AL CN; SV Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +6; Str 14, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 12.
Skills: (ranks only) Concentration 2, Heal 1, Hide 4, Knowledge (religion) 5, Listen 1, Move Silently 4, Perform (oratory) 4, Perform (wind instruments) 4, Spot 2, Use Magical Device 4
Feats: Improved Initiative
Languages: common, gnome, sylvan
Bard Spells Known: 0-lullaby, prestidigitation, mage hand, summon instrument
Cleric Spells Prepared (domains madness and trickery): 0-detect magic, light, virtue. 1- bless, random action, protection from evil.
Possessions: masterwork morningstar, masterwork studded leather armor

Erky runs a small Vineyard (shrine) of Zheenkeef in the Temple District. He recently accompanied a small group of Zheenkeef's faithful to the northern end of A'Val in search of a wild grape rumored to grow there. They were ambushed by a tribe of cannibalistic kobolds. By the time Erky was rescued by a band of adventurers he was the only member of the group who had not been eaten. Erky helped the adventurers wipe out the kobold tribe and the wyrmling green dragon which they worshiped. He also helped slay a mad druid who lived nearby and burn a blasphemous mutated tree that he was tending.

Since his return to Freeport Erky has industriously sought to spread the word of his rescuers valiant deeds. While his recent harrowing experiences have fueled his hatred for kobolds, they have done little to dim his cheerful and enthusiastic approach to life. He can usually be found with a cup of wine in his hand, madness in his eye, and love of Zheenkeef in his heart.

Morrow

First Post
Meepo, male Kobold Sorcerer 1: Small humanoid; HD 1d4; hp 4; Init +0; Spd 30 ft.; AC 11, touch 10, flat-footed 11; Base Atk +0; Grp -3; Atk -2 melee; SA spells; SQ darkvision, kobold racial traits; AL LE; SV Fort +0, Ref +0, Will +2; Str 5, Dex 11, Con 11, Int 14, Wis 11, Cha 15.
Skills: (ranks only) Bluff 4, Concentration 1, Craft (trapmaking) 3, Knowledge (arcana) 4, Move Silently 4.
Feats: Draconic Heritage (green)
Languages: common, draconic, and goblin
Sorcerer Spells Known: 0- Daze, Detect Poison, Mending, Prestidigitation 1- Mage Armor, Ray of Enfeeblement.

Meepo is the only surviving member of a tribe of dragon worshiping cannibalistic kobolds from the north end of A’Tal. He had a good life as the keeper of the tribe’s dragon, a wyrmling green that they worshiped as a proto-god. Life was simple, warring with the neighboring goblin tribe, making sacrifices to the dragon, capturing and consuming anyone foolish enough to enter the tribe’s territory. Even the indignities Meepo suffered when the goblins kidnapped his dragon were acceptable. He knew he was more clever than the goblins, or his own tribes leader for that matter. It was only a temporary setback.

All that changed when a group of adventurers captured Meepo and wiped out his tribe. Meepo played the fool, hiding his knowledge and magical abilities. The adventurers kept him alive when they killed every other kobold and goblin they encountered. They even killed the dragon. They took Meepo with them when they returned to Freeport. Meepo continues to play their bootlicking prisoner and plan his revenge.

Morrow

First Post
Who says Charisma is a dump stat?

An interesting fact I just realized. At 4th level both Nate and Sully put their ability point in Charisma. So Charisma scores for this party are as follows:

Nate: 18
Bronson: 17
Tavarii: 15
Sully: 14

I think Tavarii's player was a little shocked when he realized that his 15 Charisma alone wasn't enough to make him the clear choice for "face man."

I can't take any real credit for this charisma-centric party. Everyone came up with character concepts that required high charisma without any guidance from me. It's absolutely in the spirit of a swashbuckling game, I just didn't plan for it. These folks should start becoming very popular very fast. An suggestions on how to reward/ recognize the magnetism inherent in this group?

Morrow

Amy

First Post
Morrow said:
An suggestions on how to reward/ recognize the magnetism inherent in this group?

Morrow

That would mean that your group will turn heads even if they're trying to lay low, right? That's pretty amusing. They'll be like a rock band. Hmm, what will happen when all these egos start to collide?

Morrow

First Post
Tavaari Knaldren

Tavaari Knaldren, male half-elf Rogue 3: Medium humanoid; HD 3d6+3; hp 17; Init +7; Spd 30 ft.; AC 16, touch 14, flat-footed 13; Base Atk +2; Grp +2; Atk -2 melee (1d6 18-20/x2 scimitar), +3 melee (1d6 18-20/x2 rapier), +6 ranged (1d4 19-20/x2 hand crossbow); SA sneak attack +2d6; SQ half-elf traits, trapfinding, evasion, trap sense; AL CN; SV Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +2; Str 11, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 15.
Skills (ranks only): Appraise 1, Balance 1, Bluff 3, Climb 4, Craft (weaponsmith) 1, Decipher Script 1, Disable Device 4, Disguise 3, Escape Artist 4, Forgery 1, Gather Information 3, Hide 4, Intimidate 4, Jump 1, Knowledge (local) 4, Listen 1, Move Silently 4, Open Lock 4, Perform (act) 1, Profession (sailor) 1, Search 2, Sense Motive 1, Sleight of Hand 2, Spot 1, Swim 1, Tumble 1, Use Magical Device 1, Use Rope 1.
Feats: Improved Initiative, Nimble Fingers.
Languages: Common, Elven, Sylvan, Undercommon.
Possessions: backpack, waterskin, trail rations, bedroll, sack, flint and steel, masterwork thieves tools, hooded lantern, two vials oil, caltrops, map case, grappling hook, silk rope, mirror, whetstone, two potions of cure light wounds, ring of protection +1, 3 vials of alchemist fire, masterwork rapier, masterwork hand crossbow, 10 bolts, scimitar, dagger, throwing daggers, Order of Drac (gold medal with pirate ship engraved on it), and 1,075 gp.

Last edited:

Morrow

First Post
Bronson

Bronson, male human cleric of Aster 5: Medium humanoid; HD 5d8+15; hp 38; Init +2; Spd 20 ft.; AC 14, touch 8, flat-footed 14; Base Atk +3; Grp +3; Atk +4 melee (1d8 masterwork morningstar); SA rebuke undead, spontaneous casting inflict spells; SQ spells, Undeath and Travel domains; AL N; SV Fort +7, Ref -1, Will +8; Str 10, Dex 6, Con 16, Int 11, Wis 18, Cha 17.
Skills (ranks only): Concentration 4, Diplomacy 3, Heal 2, Knowledge (arcana) 2, Knowledge (religion) 5, Profession (sailor) 1, Spellcraft 6, Survival 1.
Feats: Craft Wondrous Item, Extra Turning, Improved Initiative, Improved Turning.
Languages: Common
Possessions: wand of animate dead (2 charges), wand of cure light wounds (24 charges), pearl of power (1st level), Quall's feather token (swan boat), elixir of truth, flask of alchemist's fire, masterwork morningstar, masterwork chain shirt, large wooden shield, jade pendant (35 gp), gold brooch (5 gp), Order of Drac (gold medal with pirate ship engraved on it), traveler's clothes, courtier's outfit, dagger, masterwork dagger, light crossbow, 10 bolts, backpack, leather pouch, holy symbol, spell components pouch, waterskin, flint and steel, and 1,282 gp.

Last edited:

Morrow

First Post
Catherine "Sully" Sullivan

Sully, female human Fighter 5: Medium humanoid; HD 5d10; hp ; Init +3; Spd 30 ft.; AC 18, touch 13, flat-footed 15; Base Atk +5; Grp +8; Atk +9 melee (2d4+3 19-20/x2 falchion); +9 melee (1d6+4 19-20/x2 cutlass); SA ; SQ bonus feats; AL CN; SV Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +1; Str 16, Dex 16, Con 11, Int 13, Wis 11, Cha 14.
Skills (ranks only): Climb 4, Diplomacy 2, Intimidate 2, Jump 5, Knowledge (nature) 2, Profession (sailor) 1, Swim 3, Tumble 3, Use Rope 1.
Feats: Cleave, Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Mobility, Power Attack.
Languages: Common and Halfling.
Possessions: mithril chain shirt, masterwork falchion, amulet of natural armor +1, +1 cutlass, flask of alchemist fire, braclet, other miscellaneous equipment.

Morrow

First Post
Another one for the, "What the heck do I know?" category- I look back over the NPCs I've actually stated up and I realize that for whatever reason, giving an NPC a stat block is a sure fire way to ensure they won't develop any substantial relationship with the PCs. NPCs like Elina Mere, Tessa Corwyn, Cole, and even Meepo have thus far been relegated to walk-ons. On the other hand characters like Buster Wallace and Morgan Erendyl become wrapped up in the PCs lives. Morgan is a particularly amusing case. I originaly intended him to be just a name who would get killed off almost as soon as he was introduced.

Maybe the reason is that the NPCs without stat blocks are the ones who have only the barest sense of character and background in my mind, and therefore I'm more easily able to twist them to fit unexpected needs. Or maybe it's just a fluke.

Morrow

Last edited:

Morrow

First Post
We started Black Sails Over Freeport over the weekend. The group quickly got themselves in trouble. You can check out the details here.

Queg, Bronson's new cohort, was not present for their defeat and capture. Ironically, considering I was just going on about the benefits of NPCs without stats, the group has displayed some interest in playing a group of NPC allies gathered by Queg to rescue the party. So now I'm going to need stats after all. I think we'll use the following NPCs:

Morgan Erendyl (Chaotic Good Elf Male Swashbuckler 3/ Wizard 3)
Galen Cobb (Neutral Human Male Rogue 4/ Fighter 2)
Marcus Vale (Chaotic Neutral Human Male Wizard 5/ Sea Witch 2)

To make this all work out, these characters are actually a little higher level than I had imagined they were. Oh well, it should make for an unusual and fun session.

Morrow

Remove ads