Behind the Screens: Worldbuilding

A new Behind the Scenes article has been posted on the official D&D website. This time the column - by D&D art director Richard Whitters - takes a look at worldbuilding. "When I was asked to write an article on DMing, my mind was flooded with ideas: neat little add-on mechanics, worldbuilding tips, trick monsters, and a dozen of other thoughts that I'd made notes on. In the end, I thought I'd describe how I run a game, and give a few tips that might be helpful to new DMs."

A new Behind the Scenes article has been posted on the official D&D website. This time the column - by D&D art director Richard Whitters - takes a look at worldbuilding. "When I was asked to write an article on DMing, my mind was flooded with ideas: neat little add-on mechanics, worldbuilding tips, trick monsters, and a dozen of other thoughts that I'd made notes on. In the end, I thought I'd describe how I run a game, and give a few tips that might be helpful to new DMs."

You can find the article here.

BtS_2_1.jpg

Skyscraper

Explorer
You guys are being nice. I mean, I'm a nice guy and all. But this article is so general that even the newest DM on earth will find nothing to sink his teeth in, really.

This is like, "to build a world, start with a map. No, start with a rough map." *squints eyes* Ohhhh... a rough map... Good idea!

What's the content?

- start with a rough map.
- have some plot hooks ready. Hmm, what's that?
- have some NPCs ready. Wow. Ground-breaking ;)
- use all the senses. Ok, perhaps obvious to many, but I admit that this reminder is not uninteresting. We have four words worth something. Vaguely.
- listen to your players. Need I comment?

If I want some DM advice, it's because I'm a DM and hence all of the above is so obvious that it goes without saying.

What's next? Encounter building? Here's how that would go:

- choose an encounter level
- select monsters that fit that encounter level
- don't forget that these monsters should have some relation to your story or world location.
- give them a reason for being there

I liked Chris Perkins' series of articles about his campaign during the 4E era, that included plenty of very crunchy tidbits of advice for DMs. Now that was useful and inspiring.

This? This is a bunch of high-level statements that everybody knows and has known since day 1 of DMing. And people reading it feel intelligent because they breathe on their fingernails and shine them on their jacket, going, "yeah, I knew that". Then, the author slapped a nice map over his hollow article, to get our attention off this lack of content.

Jerry Seinfeld, back in the '90s when his show was such a hit, was asked to explain how he reached such success. His answer was, more or less:

"When I write a new show, I figure that my audience is intelligent."

I hope for the same. Assume I know a lot. Then, explain your neat tricks and push me to the next level.

Derren

Hero
What has that article to do with world building? That is not world building but filling the map with random things and improvising stuff based on whatever antics from the players strikes the DMs fancy.

Imo a rather bad article with hardly any content in it besides some generalized sentences you have heard a thousand times before.

Patrick McGill

First Post
What has that article to do with world building? That is not world building but filling the map with random things and improvising stuff based on whatever antics from the players strikes the DMs fancy.

Imo a rather bad article with hardly any content in it besides some generalized sentences you have heard a thousand times before.

Filling the map with random stuff and improvising is pretty much exactly how I world build.

I mean, world building is literally making stuff up, right?

Karl Gruenewald

First Post
I'm totally new to D&D and I saw this article as inspiring.
Why dis the author for covering old ground when his purpose was to provide:
"...a few tips that might be helpful to new DMs."
Thanks Richard! I liked the article.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads