• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Being attacked through a door problem (sunder vs breaking an object)?

Okay, so my 1st level fighter is standing beside a wooden door in a dungeon, that my Halfling Paladin
team mate has already kicked a hole in. He gets his leg back, after it was momentarily stuck and he
felt something try to grab it. Then what looks like a pincer comes through and tries to hit him. So on
my turn, I ready an action. I designate the trigger as anything that comes through that hole, I attack.

So...something comes through the hole. However, it's not the pincer but instead is a spear. My trigger
goes off and I swing at it.

Here's the question: Should we do a sunder, since its a weapon wielded by an opponent, or should it be
breaking an object? It's not part of the creature wielding it at all. We finally decided to use the rules for
breaking an object (with the object being a 2 handed hafted weapon), 5 hardness, 10 hit points.

So...was that the right call or should it have been a sunder? If it was breaking an object, what should
I have to roll to hit it with my attack? If it was supposed to be a sunder, and the creature was on the
other side of the door where it couldn't see me, can it still get an opportunity attack? I would think
not.

Thanks for any suggestions, advice, or observations. :)

3catcircus

Adventurer
If you are using a slashing or bludgeoning weapon, it is a sunder. If you are using "...sudden force rather than dealing damage..." it is a Strength check. The break DC should be equivalent to to an item that has the same hardness and hit points for a 2 handed hafted weapon (hardness 5, hp 10) = simple wooden door, break DC 13.

A sunder hacks away at the item by doing damage while breaking an object is different. I agree that it is a bit confusing since breaking an item also damages it. I think the difference would best be illustrated by hacking away at a tree with an axe until is filled (sunder) vs. knocking the whole tree over (breaking an object).

I'd argue that it would not get an attack of opportunity because you are already in the 5 ft. square next to it (just blocked by the door) unless your action is a sunder AND there is sufficient enough opening in the door to prevent you from having cover. You aren't moving out of the threatened square and and breaking an object doesn't appear to count as a combat maneuver.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Sunder describes attacking an object being carried by someone. Break an Object and Strength check describe more or less stationary objects.

So: sunder.

Remind me, are there rules for making combat maneuvers against an unaware opponent? The enemy wouldn't add his Dexterity to his CMD?

So I'd say, make a Sunder roll (though I'd probably grant a +5 bonus because the spear is hard to miss). If you hit, roll damage. You have cover, so the enemy doesn't get an AoO.

Vegepygmy

First Post
We finally decided to use the rules for
breaking an object (with the object being a 2 handed hafted weapon), 5 hardness, 10 hit points.

So...was that the right call or should it have been a sunder?

I think you made the right call. Sundering is a combat maneuver that calls for a CMB vs. CMD check because your opponent is able to react to your attack. I don't think the spear-user can do that in this situation, where he is blindly jabbing a spear through a hole in a door. In that situation, his spear should essentially be defenseless and easier to break, so I would treat it simply as Smashing An Object (roll vs. AC, deal damage) as if it were an unattended object or Breaking An Item (Strength check vs. Break DC), depending on how the attacker wants to resolve it.

If you did resolve it as a Sunder, the defender definitely would not get an attack of opportunity, because the attacker has cover from him (the door between them).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads