• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Being forced to quit

Shazman

Banned
Banned
I've had to cancel both my D&D sessions this weeked to watch my SO's bratty, undisciplined kids. This is an extremely untolerable situation for me. There aren't words to express my rage. It's probably going to become a regular occurance, and I may be forced to quit gaming altogether. I'm not asking for advice, just venting. It's one thing to quit because of burnout or a hectic shedule, it's quite another to be forced to quit by someone else. I've seen others forced out of the game by an SO, and I pittied them. Now the same thing is happening to me, and I just want to die.

ascendance

First Post
Hey,

I'm only writing this because I'm a teacher, and I'd really rather not see those bratty kids become somebody else's problem further down the line. You can take this advice or leave it, but I am speaking from the heart here.

If you are at all serious about that SO, you better start forming some kind of relationship with those kids. Clearly, they need more structure in their lives, and a male role model. I'm not saying you should act like a parent, but as the old saying goes, it takes a village to raise a child. Right now, you are part of their village, so you can't stand by and get away by doing the minimum possible. Don't give up on them, even if they are bratty undisciplined kids right now.

And hey, they could be the next generation of gamers.

Or, I could put it another way and say, man it up and live up to your responsibilities. Gaming isn't the be all and end all. Kids, on the other end, really should be.

Warren Okuma

First Post
Shazman said:
I've had to cancel both my D&D sessions this weeked to watch my SO's bratty, undisciplined kids. This is an extremely untolerable situation for me. There aren't words to express my rage. It's probably going to become a regular occurance, and I may be forced to quit gaming altogether. I'm not asking for advice, just venting. It's one thing to quit because of burnout or a hectic shedule, it's quite another to be forced to quit by someone else. I've seen others forced out of the game by an SO, and I pittied them. Now the same thing is happening to me, and I just want to die.
Wait. She gets to go out and play but you cannot? Do I have that right?

Hjorimir

Adventurer
Take everything you wish you could change about your SO and write it down on a sheet of paper. Have the SO do the same. If you can't be happy with everything on the list remaining the same, walk away. If you can be happy, throw away the list.

Your SO has kids. You like to game. Both of you need to realize the truth of those two statements.

Best advice I've got knowing so very little about your situation.

Mitchbones

First Post
If those kids are as bratty as you say, they could probably use a firm male influence (I am assuming you are male) more than you need gaming. Start spending time with them and eventually start teaching them how to game.

Darkwolf445

First Post
ascendance said:
Or, I could put it another way and say, man it up and live up to your responsibilities. Gaming isn't the be all and end all. Kids, on the other end, really should be.

Exactly.

My first impulse is to tell you something nasty, as a parent and husband.

But I will not.

Drowbane

First Post
Shazman said:

If that is really how you feel, walk away. You're not ready for that level of responibility.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads