• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Being more descriptive as a DM

bathtub66

First Post
I have been playing/DMing for a year or two, mostly out of necessity since none of my friends or me had ever played before and someone had to do it. I really love it, more than simply playing, but one steady criticism I've gotten is im not descriptive enough. I don't set the scene well enough. This makes the missions dull and boring and can sometimes mess up the pace of the whole mission if I forget to mention something important, or mention only mentioning the important thing leaving no room for mysteriousness or choice. Have any advice for me? Or know of any books that would help me in this department?

Last edited:

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
Think about what's there.

The mannerisms of a person, the stuff lying about a room, the spacing of windows, where the light is, that sort of thing. Visualize it in your mind, and describe that. Watch movies, read books, think about how those stages are set, and present that.

Don't worry about too much detail, or anything uninteresting. The players will decide what they like and you can build from there.

Let's start with a little exercise: What does a gold piece look like?

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Try describing every initial scene (like each room in a dungeon) with three sensations. What does it look like? What does it smell like? How does it sound?

If the characters interact with something, you can also tell them how it feels and, if necessary, what it tastes like. Don't be afraid to tell them what their characters sense or feel from it either. Example: "The black shard of obsidian in your hand feels far too cold and slippery. You get a shiver down your back and feel like you want to put it down quickly."

Gilladian

Adventurer
Try, each time you describe a room, to include at least three different senses. Sight, smell, taste, feel, sound.

In other words, instead of saying "you enter a big cave. It is dark.", say "You enter a big cave. It is so big you can hear your footsteps echoing across it. It is pitch dark, and your torch makes a small puddle of light around you, not reaching across the cavern. You can smell the fresh cool scent of water somewhere not far away. In fact, you can also hear the sound of water slowly dripping down from a stalactite into a pool below, but you are too far away to see it."

You've given the players a lot to think about, and by making the attempt to involve several senses, you've forced yourself to think about what's there.

You don't have to write all taht out for every room; just jot down the following:

see- too big to light entire chamber
hear - echoes, water dripping
smell - fresh water
feel - gritty floor under bare feet, slimy wall where water drips
taste - damp air - water is very pure -

And then as the PCs act, you can say to them "Rollo the halfling doesn't like walking in this room, the floor is gritty and sandy."

Maybe it means nothing; then again, maybe it means the ceiling is unstable and constantly shedding bits of sand and debris...

Dungeoneer

First Post
Setting a scene is more art than science, unfortunately. If you start trying to "be descriptive" you're liable to over-describe; detailing every single object in a room is deadly dull and your players are liable to tune out.

Taking a writing class might help. They'll give you lots of good advice and practice on descriptive writing, which can be translated into descriptions at your game table.

But here's some general advice:

Maybe try describing just one or two specific details of an area, an object, a monster, etc. "The ruined towers of the old castle are jagged and broken. A gray mist creeps between the walls."

Make sure you're not focusing on the same KIND of details every time. Don't forget about your other four senses. For example, maybe you always describe things in terms of colors. "The old castle is made of gray brick. There is a red banner hanging over the gate." Functional, but dull. Bring in some other senses: "Above you a flag is snapping in the wind." "These old ruins make your skin crawl."

One tool that you have as a DM that writers don't is that you can tie description into your game mechanically. That mist could impede perception checks. The walls could crumble when climbed. This would be known as the "show don't tell" school of description.

Stalker0

Legend
Best I can offer is focus on a single thing and work on describing it. Don't think you have to describe everything in a room, pick a particular thing and focus.

Also watch your players reactions, if they seem really into something feel free to expand upon it.

Mexal

First Post
Think of a location you have visited recently. Call it up in your mind's eye. How would you describe it to somebody who'd never been there?

Use of other than visual cues is essential, as others have said.

Make use of places you have been to or seen on TV/Movies or read about in books. Combine elements of them to create your own locations: perhaps an open fire from that cabin you stayed in one vacation, only it's in a peasant's hut in your world.

For example, I know Harlech Castle in Wales very well. My D&D players don't... or at least they don't know it's Harlech Castle. But they have talked their way into the gatehouse, crept up the secret passage from the shore, fought in the courtyard, feasted in the great hall, met the wizard in the NE tower... and all the time I've been overlaying fantasy elements onto the real castle.

Doug McCrae

Legend
Put yourself into the minds of the PCs. What would they see? And hear, smell, etc.

Personally I think descriptions are best left short, a sentence or two. Then it's up to the players to ask questions and interact with the environment. Imo roleplaying games work best when they are interactive, rather than featuring lengthy 'boxed text'. Perhaps your players like boxed text tho.

For example, I think this is fine:
"The room is filled with junk and bric-a-brac of all kinds. Nothing stands out particularly at first glance."

Then it's up to the PCs to search the place if they want.

Last edited:

Doug McCrae

Legend
In other words, instead of saying "you enter a big cave. It is dark.", say "You enter a big cave. It is so big you can hear your footsteps echoing across it. It is pitch dark, and your torch makes a small puddle of light around you, not reaching across the cavern. You can smell the fresh cool scent of water somewhere not far away. In fact, you can also hear the sound of water slowly dripping down from a stalactite into a pool below, but you are too far away to see it."
I prefer the first one. Though I would change it to - "You enter a cave, larger than the extent of your torchlight. Water drips, somewhere in the darkness."

Last edited:

Herobizkit

Adventurer
If you're old enough, perhaps you remember the really old-school text adventures, or possibly MUDs. Remember how those games went? GO NORTH, USE KEY, HACK WIZARD (that last one took me a year to figure out in one game I used to own)?

You are standing in what appears to be a dressing room. A full-length mirror covers one wall, upon which hangs a small heart-shaped pendant. The dresser is covered in small phials of liquid, some glass, others wood. A bronze chest sits by the foot of the four-poster bed.

For each noun, try to come up with one adjective. And for each item, try to come up with a short description, too. I used this format for one of my own homemade adventures (The Mansion of Mystery, oooo!) back when I was in high school.

LOOK CHEST -> This bronze chest with red velvet inlay is 2' x 2' x 3' and bears an iron lock.

LOOK PENDANT -> This heart-shaped pendant has a rose-colored stone embedded on its front. It is actually a locket; opening it reveals an illusory picture of a robed man, likely an academic.

LOOK MAN -> The man appears in his late 40's; his black hair is streaked with gray. His blue robes and crest suggest that he is a court wizard.

LOOK CREST ->

and so on.

Remove ads