• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Being set on fire aint what it used to be.

Gez

First Post
Because fire elementals would be much more powerful than the other elementals?

Of course, this doesn't hold water (elemental) when you, like me, do not hesitate to make acid, electricity, frost, and sonic elementals. Mwahahah!

However, rather than being distracted, what about being blinded (or at least giving a 50% miss chance against everyone) ? I haven't been set on fire myself, and don't want to try :), but I suppose that between the flames, the heat, and the smoke, keeping your eyes open and focused on those pesky gobbies is going to be difficult.

shilsen

Adventurer
Hanuman said:
Now having once been on fire myself I can state quite firmly that it is extremely distracting, so I was thinking of adding the shaken condition to characters on fire. What do people think I should do?

Extremely distracting? Last time I looked you were jumping all over Sri Lanka with your tail on fire and it didn't seem to be bothering you at all ;)

I wouldn't go for changing the rules myself, for the same reason Nasma mentioned. Being shaken or nauseated (very tough condition to be in!) is a little strong for an effect that only does d6 a round. Are you planning to change that too?

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Hanuman said:
Now having once been on fire myself I can state quite firmly that it is extremely distracting

So did you set yourself on fire to test the rules out or was there some other circumstance?

-BG

PS You know, in most other social circles, admitting to a history of immolation would have generated some inquiry much earlier in the conversation. This site rocks.

It's quite true, being set on fire isn't what it used to be. Luckily, there's talks of a new RPG that addresses just that.

"Well, perform the following test. Light a zen master on fire. I bet what he wants far more than one-ness with the universe and a freedom from worldly desires is not to be on fire. "

Hehe - nice evil thoughts from fellow GM's.

Let me point out something though...

You're talking goblins, so the chance of the party having magical items is low. The chance of the party being able to absorb fire damage is fairly low.

The chance of the party's equipment surviving - much less.

You could easily (applying the rules in common sense approach) end up with naked, weapon wielding PC's... not the mention the wizards spell book being gone, the clerics Holy Focus being singed/burned...

Nasty stuff, fire. The rules just don't do it justice :)

Personally, I'd just require a DC20 concentration check or DC20 Fort Save to take any action other than putting the fire out - after the first round.

Course, I'd also be using distilled naptha in fragile casings for my fire bottles as well... 1d8 damage per round for 2d6 rounds. A few of those will even melt a sword to some degree.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Hanuman said:
I’m planning an encounter for my group that involves a clan of pyromaniac fiendish-goblins. The problem I have is that after reading the rules about catching on fire (Pg 303 DMG) it seems to me that the only drawback is that you and your flammable equipment are taking d6 per round. Now having once been on fire myself I can state quite firmly that it is extremely distracting, so I was thinking of adding the shaken condition to characters on fire. What do people think I should do?
In another thread I was discussing building a better torch and felt FEAR rules PANIC (shaken and frightened) could be used, DMG 294, WILL save DC 13 or 15.

The Only Drawback?

Hanuman said "...the only drawback is that you and your flammable equipment are taking d6 per round. "

My guess is that the Baldric holding your sheath on has maybe 4 hps.
Your clothes has maybe 3 hps.
Your backpack has maybe 10 hps.
Any scrolls and maps have 1 hp.
Your low level party has maybe 15 hitpoints

With lucky rolls of 5 points each round this means:

Round 1 of burning:
PC, I ignore the fire and attack the enemy.
DM, your sheaths, clothes, and other flammables are toast. You are left in warm metal armor and your backback is merrilly burning the hair off the back of your head.
Round 2:
PC, I still ignore the fire and attack the enemy.
DM, your backback disintegrates into ashes, your hair is gone, and your armor is getting to be a nice cherry red and a little soft on the edges.
Round 3:
PC, no matter, I will kill the enemy!
DM, you fall down, still burning. It smells really bad.

And this is assuming the goblins are not doing anything but encouraging the fire to continue burning. Through in a couple archer types and a Hold Person spell and you have quickly slain a PC or two.

Not enough of a drawback for you?

I think that the rules do great justice to burning the enemy. Remember, most of the world consists of 1st level commoners with 1D4 hps. Immolating a peasant is a fast, smelly death. Immolate a PC and at best you have a dead PC, at worst you have a PC who is busy doing something non-combative for a round. During which you ensure he is kept lit!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads