BENEATH the LUNAR SPECULUM

Tom Cashel

First Post
Wolf the Toad croaks, "Cram it with walnuts, Battlemage," and hops through the portal of moonlight, vanishing.

(kidding about the vanishing part...only)

Van: The High Seneschal accompanies you out into the cavern where the others are fiddling with items of magic.

"These things are the gifts of Selune to those who would defend Aerunedar," pronounces the Seneschal.

"During the final battles, I and the priestesses, Olyis and Dannemuer, performed the ritual known as the Mystery of the Night. We called upon Selune to aid us. Her power coursed through the lens of the Speculum and into the temple nave...it manifested as moonfire, an opalescent, glowing, animate fluid mass that coursed from the altar to surround these items you hold.

"At the height of the ritual, the foul wizard Corpsecoil rained terrible magics of destruction upon the temple. The walls and ceiling fell, Olyis and Dannemuer were slain, but Selune's moonfire prevented the temple from being annihilated. Indeed, it prevented the foundations from shifting even an inch.

"Selune spoke to me. She told me to hide these items of power in the Darkcrypt...that I must wait for those who would challenge the Coil and break the Exile's Curse, those who would avenge Clan Darkfell and the moonmaidens of Selune. I believe that you are the very people who will do this.

"That, Bronn Spellforger, is a moon scroll. It will allow you to copy any spell you know onto it's surface. Then, the spell may be cast by anyone at all, as long as Selune's face is full upon the sky. Once this happens, the scroll becomes blank and may be used again in the same way.

"The wand was created by me...it will cure light wounds when touched to the recipient and the command word spoken: varrathalus. Sadly, it has been so long...I do not remember the amount of charges that are left.

"The mask is a moonstone mask, studded with the favored gems of the Goddess, and it grants sight and hearing to those who wear it [darkvision 60', +5 circumstance bonus to Spot and Listen checks].

"And these, Roman Gemlee, these are moonmote arrows. They fly twice as far, and inflict twice as much harm, as a mundane arrow.

"Saeita Nevi, the silver bracers you wear, engraved with the crescent moon and seven stars, are moon bracers. They grant the protection of unseen armor, and the ability to shift through space [+2 armor bonus, dimension door 1/day].

"This mooncloak will protect against assaults on your person by granting you heightened reflexes, fortitude and strength of will. In addition, the wearer may rise into the air and walk upon water [+2 resistance bonus to all saves, plus levitate and water walk 1/day, self only]."

Cara [Bardic Knowledge roll 22]: You know without being told, and relate to the others, that the disk is a Disk of Meerschaulk, and the etching on the surface represents that foul reptile god. It is used (somehow) to gain access to a Temple of the Serpent.

"The dust," continues the Seneschal, "is dust of dryness. A pinch of it will turn a cubic foot of water into a tiny pellet...when the pellet is broken the same amount of water is released. There are seven pinches in the bag.

"Finally, the jars hold what remained of the moonfire when all these items had been created: moonfire salve. It has many uses, but an entire jar must be expended on whichever you choose--when poured on an object, or rubbed on a creature's forehead, it acts as a targeted dispel magic. When rubbed on the feet, it allows the recipient to fly. When rubbed on the eyelids, it grants darkvision. When rubbed on the back of the hand, it allows the use of a greater mage hand spell. When eaten, it acts as cure serious wounds. [caster level 5 in all cases]

Van: when you put on Enthandas, you instinctively know its uses: dispel magic, water breathing, water walk 1/day, or 1/hour when moonlight shines on the wearer, plus neutralize poison if Shelmroun is also worn.

The Seneschal speaks again: "You hold the Gifts of Selune. You are Her Champions now. Before you were merely her servants, a Company of Wolves running beneath her light...now you stand at her side.

"May Selune, Mystra, and all the Gods you hold dear watch over you.

"A Seventh Trial remains before you shall be freed of this that you have begun. But you are welcome to rest here as long as you wish. You will be safe in this cavern..."

[NOTE: Just because you were holding something when its powers were described does NOT mean that it is now yours to keep (Stacie :)). I was just going from Bronn's post--you'll have to decide who gets what.]

Last edited:

Van Dyksun

First Post
Van slips the ring on and off the ring finger of his left hand, still surprised that his pinkie is entirely gone, feeling as if that finger was still there.

"The power of Selune infuses this ring. I accept the burden of it as a loyal follower of the moon maiden, and as the person to complete the quest that Daziel's order gave to her. The moonweb will be restored to the lady's gaze. If any of the others of you wish to join our lady's service, I would gladly share this burden."

"With regard to these other items, we need to determine who has the greatest need or the greatest ability to utilize these blessings of Selune to remove Hathos' curse from this hall."

"Roman, shall we have a contest of marksmanship (with normal arrows) to determine which of us could make the best use of these deadly missiles?"

Bronn Spellforger

First Post
If you two start having an archery contest to determine who gets those arrows, I'm going to pelt you both with magic missles till you drop.

Personally, I'd like those Bracers...

OOC: When did Van lose his finger? Did Daziel do it? :)

Tom Cashel

First Post
Velm: "I believe it was a result of The Troll Incident...you know, Cousin, just like that scar that runs from your neck right down to your navel?"

"And as long as we're stating likes and dislikes, I'd certainly look dashing in that mooncloak."

[OOC: Somebody start up the e-mail mill and let's decide the venue for April 13th!]

Bronn Spellforger

First Post
OOC: Caramip in the HOUSE! Keith said he was going to try and get on today. In our new office relocation, Stacie is sitting right next to me, so I'll be able to bug her all day about posting! So Matt, we're all set...

Velm: Speaking of battle scars, you keep swinging your axe like you did yesterday and you're likely to get some yourself! I think you may need that cloak more than anyone ...

Van: That ring is very, very powerful. Use it well. Remind me to talk to you about it's dispel magic ability. This can be extremely useful in our upcoming battles. By the way, Van, when is the next full moon?

We also now have a number of water breathing, water walking abilities in the party. Perhaps we could use this in our upcoming battle to sneak up on the dragon's lair located off the river.

That dust of dryness seems useful.. but I'm not sure how we can use it. Perhaps if we ever face any water elementals...

Van Dyksun

First Post
"Roman, I'm thinking we should use Bronn as our target for our marksmanship contest. What do you think? :D "

"I'm well aware of Selune's power, dwarf."

"Instead of stating what people would like to posess of these wondrous items, let's have a discussion about who can make the most of them. For example, how would these bracers benefit you, Bronn? Would they relieve you from having to cast the mage armor spell quite as often? With regard to the cloak, how would you use this 'dimension door' spell, Velm? We talked once about strategy and tactics, and I think it is time for us to talk about these things once again."

OOC: I'm willing to host the April 13th meeting, but I still need to verify this with She Who Must Be Obeyed.

MOOC: After a discussion with Keith and Matt, Van's little finger was determined totally consumed by the troll. Some things just don't get raised.

Tom Cashel

First Post
Velm: "Bah...I'm sick of pragmatism, Snowcap. I think I'd look good in the cloak." :D

[OOC: Stacie...I'm sorry. I really am.

MOOC: Welcome, Caramip!]

(Roman Gemmalee)

Van,

I agree that we should distribute magic items according to people's strengths. I think my strength is close, hand-to-hand fighting. Is there anything that would help me in this skill?

If not then I think the arrows could add another dimension to my fighting abilities. We could have a contest to see which one of us gets them or we could divide them between us.

Roman Gemmalee

Remove ads