• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

BESM D20 Use?

JoeGKushner

First Post
I'm looking through d20 BESM and so far like what I see. Don't know if I agree with everything like the d4 hit dice for the adventurer calss, but the customization is heavily there.

Like Champions or GURPS though, I can already see a lot of players lubbing their penciles for the system rape. "Yeah, you know you like that when I buy this power and this skill don't you!"

Anyone played or mixed systems yet? I know when I finish it, I'll be implementing some of the stuff right away to see how it flushes with the rest of the game.

Hungry Tiger

First Post
I'll be implementing elements of the combat system right away. Otherwise, I'm planning on using it for all my freaky one-shot ideas, but none of them are scheculed yet.

JoeGKushner

First Post
I do like the defense roll. It adds another layer to combat with the variable defense but it's pretty cool at the same time. I'll be playtesting that right away.

So far the one thing I'm not noticing in the reading is any anime style weapons like Exalted is famous for. Nothing like Gutts Dragon sword or anything.

MattyHelms

First Post
I'll be combining BESM d20 with pieces of Call of Cthulhu d20 for the Martial Arts/ Space Opera/ Cthulhu adventure I'm working on for the next Chicago Gameday. Neither system would handle it well alone, but BESM d20's Attributes and classes will handle the over-the-top action really well. Of course, the Gameday won't be until Fall, so I don't have any useful input yet :)

I am disappointed in some parts of the book. There isn't as much about capturing an anime style in your game or setting up a campaign as there should've been. Some of the specific examples mentioned in the book's meagre campaing advice are outright missing. Also, while it is possible to create items and powers like in some of the shows, the book should have been just dripping with samples. I should've come out of the book fired up about running an anime campaign, not just eager to try some of the new mechanics.

That minor quibble aside, I am really excited about running BESM d20. The book's got some nice touches to make a fun powered-up game.

Later,
Matt

Last edited:

Remove ads