BESMd20 - What needs fixed?

whisper_jeff

First Post
Stormfalcon said:
The only problem with their defense mechanics is that they get horribly overwhelmed by BABs, particularly at higher levels. If anything, getting hit is almost a certainty when you get to the higher levels. The big problem is that, unlike D20 Modern and Star Wars revised (which used similar defense mechanics), BESM D20 didn't institute a defense bonus.

I recommend you read the material again - we did. When you gain a BAB, you can elect to assign it as a AC bonus instead (and you cannot change it back at a later date). Thus, you can either create a highly defensive fighter with a high AC or an offensive fighter with a high BAB or a balanced fighter with a bit of both, for example. It is in there.

Zack2216

First Post
Tell me if I have over looked something, k?

I think that a (house) rule should be put on alternate form. That you shouldn't be able to turn into forms that have ranks in alternate form.

Why? Because it can be infinite (and will be unless capped off somehow). With Full powered AF, you gain an extra 10 cp do do what you want with, right? You assume a new form, spending 9 of those points on low power AF (the one that costs 3 cp per rank). You assume a new form, except you have 30 cp to do what you want with. Spend 10 on your stats, and the rest on alternate form. Now you have level 6, with 60 points to do what you want with. Continue this process, and you can have a god character at level 1 if he says "screw my stats, I am getting full powered AF."

Of course, I could be wrong, and hope I am. It doesn't say that there is a cap on how many ranks you can have in a skill unless the dm puts one there (or was it the other way around?). Even then, level 10 alternate form at level 1 can be potent, considering there is no duration, energy cost, and the character can set up god mode at the beginning of every day.

When I start using the system, I will incorperate this houserule, just in case any of the other players start thinking about it, but won't tell them about it until they actually make the discovery (right now they don't have the book, and I doubt that they have found the SRD).

Stormfalcon

First Post
whisper_jeff said:

I recommend you read the material again - we did. When you gain a BAB, you can elect to assign it as a AC bonus instead (and you cannot change it back at a later date). Thus, you can either create a highly defensive fighter with a high AC or an offensive fighter with a high BAB or a balanced fighter with a bit of both, for example. It is in there.

Ah...that had slipped my mind (and the minds of plenty of others, judging from the thread on the GoO boards). Of course, the alternate rule wasn't where I would have expected to find it. Now to work out an organized alternate BAB/AC bonus progression that's decently balanced (which will join other projects such as shoehorning D20 Modern's Wealth system into BESM D20)

The_Gneech

Explorer
I just picked up BESM d20 at Dragon*Con and am still reading through it. But right off the top of my head, I'd say that the main thing that needs fixing, is that it needs some scenarios and source material (and possibly an electronic character generator) STAT!

I'm hoping to get some good use out of this. :)

-The Gneech :cool:

Remove ads