• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Best 5e YouTubers

Not a Hobbit

Explorer
Two that I have not seen mentioned yet.

Threshold (I only watched the first season and a few episodes after that, but it's a nice world and the players/characters are fun)
Esper the Bard (Good stories, well acted and narrated, and which can be lifted for your own campaigns, plus informative stuff)

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Matt Coleville's videos persuaded me that I could be a DM. Without them I'm not sure I would have taken the plunge. I used his lets make an adventure advice and based my first DM experience loosely on it. He showed me that it wasn't as hard as I thought it was, so Thanks Matt! AC INC and Critical Role inspired me but Matt Coleville got me off to a great start.

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
Hmm.. Nerdarchy sometimes.

Else, well... D&D players are generally malformed, poorly groomed* and lacking in good 'ole dub sounds. Makes easing myself quite the challenge.

*...apart from THAT GUY.

pontinyc

Explorer
Dude,

Absolute Tabletop. I have no idea how these guys aren't youtube 5e stars. Start with "The Provokers" series. Matt Click is far and away my favorite DM. He and his players are hardcore roleplayers and not beer and pretzels at all, which is just my preference. All rolling occurs off camera and results are only posted in chat so it really feels like you're watching professional storytellers or "watching" a radio play. Absolutely seamless. Sometimes the accents veer into the southern United States which can be a little jarring but that's rare. Matt Mercer's a good DM but their game is way too beer and pretzels for me. Just a point of personal preference.

If you like Absolute Tabletop, you'll also love its spinoffs created by other members of the group and their friends. Performance Check by "Rob" is phenomenal. The game he's running now, "The Lorekeepers" is nail biting. As a DM, I steal everything the guy does in terms of the running of his game. Again, hardcore role-players so plenty of fun but full-on character voices and choices. Proceed if that's your thing.

Tabletop Terrors by the Carney Brothers is also excellent. They're members of Absolute Tabletop so same sort of thing. Those they play with, as well, are phenomenal rp'ers. Locrius? Out of his mind and impossible not to watch. By the by, Absolute Tabletop has started selling pdf's and fully-bound books of their world as well as excellent supplements which I've glanced at online and are extremely legit.

Jarl DM. Love Lloyd and his Viking-centric home-brew world. Absolutely top shelf and his players are usually great.

Sounds like I work for these guys but I assure you that I don't. I just look for games that are heavy on rp and have as little out-of-game chat as possible. I'd give my eye teeth to have my players RP as well as these guys do (and I play with four other professional actors. . . sigh).

Hope you enjoy if you decide to check them out and good luck and happy gaming.

mflayermonk

First Post
In what way does their advice encourage stale gaming?

The player-first advice, the players making the story, giving each player a "spotlight" moment. All of that is fine, but at what point to do you say to yourself "I've already done this"?
I've played with some incredible DMs that do none of that-they cheat, move the goal posts, player actions have no value, no spotlight unless you make it, deliberate killing of PCs, chaos, nihilism. I can't do those type of games all the time as well, but they breathe life into the RPG experience.

Chaosmancer

Legend
The player-first advice, the players making the story, giving each player a "spotlight" moment. All of that is fine, but at what point to do you say to yourself "I've already done this"?
I've played with some incredible DMs that do none of that-they cheat, move the goal posts, player actions have no value, no spotlight unless you make it, deliberate killing of PCs, chaos, nihilism. I can't do those type of games all the time as well, but they breathe life into the RPG experience.

I have never seen a truer example of to each his own.

Though, I suppose that depends on how it is presented. If I was playing a game, and the DM was trying to deliberately kill a player, not a character in the game, the DM, then I wouldn't find the experience enjoyable. If it makes sense that the villains are plotting their death, and the DM plays that out in a logical manner, way different, but to me, that sounds like "[insert absurd number of creatures or single insanely powerful creature] run(s) up and start attacking Bob. Only Bob. Until he's dead. Now roll up a new character."

If instead you mean it is more of the focus on the world and good luck surviving there, I imagine that could be occasionally a lot of fun.

werecorpse

Adventurer

- uh yeah, to each their own.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads