• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best Base Class for Multiclassing?

rhm001

First Post
There's been some discussion in the past about whether humans or half-elves (or sometimes a third option) are the best race for multiclassing, but I don't recall seeing discussions about the first class for combinations, so I thought I'd throw the question out there. (If I've somehow missed an endless debate, please disregard this post!) Let me preface this by saying that, as with everything else, the only thing that really matters is what you think is best for your character concept, and just about all of the combinations are viable and entertaining, whether you take one feat or all of them and a paragon path.

I would submit that Warlord is the best base class for a multiclasser, in part because they have a wide range of options. They get in-class benefits from at least one of the potential primary scores (Strength, Intelligence and Charisma) for every other class, except Rogue---although they use both of the rogue's secondary scores. In addition, nearly all of the benefits of the Warlord's own paragon paths are independent of class features (only two grant benefits for inspiring word, and multiclassers will have it anyway, even if it's not as often); that's not only a benefit for other classes dipping into Warlord. For example, both Knight Commander and Sword Marshal emphasize frontline melee aspects of the class, and a Warlord with a few fighter or paladin options will likely enjoy the paths even more.

There's also been plenty of talk about how Tactical Warlords are good for multiclassing into Wizard, but the Inspring Warlord and the Warlock's more controller-ish powers also mesh really well. Many of the Star and Fey Pacts' Cha powers involve tweaking enemy rolls or making them attack their own allies; this meshes nicely with the Warlord's focus on more indirect tactics. In addition, most of the Warlock's utilities are good for getting to a party member to lend them a hand, or for staying up to continue providing support.

So what do others think?

MwaO

Adventurer
would submit that Warlord is the best base class for a multiclasser, in part because they have a wide range of options. They get in-class benefits from at least one of the potential primary scores (Strength, Intelligence and Charisma) for every other class, except Rogue---although they use both of the rogue's secondary scores.

I think Paladin is by far the best multiclassing class for the following reasons:
They get the best base stuff - good hit points, weapons, armor, defenses.
One of their most important abilities(Divine Challenge) is easy to use even when acting as a member of another class.
They have an unusual stat(Charisma) that can be used for melee attacks.

The problem with a Warlord is that when they're acting as a Warlock, they don't get the Curse or the pact boon - in a sense, they're acting as a water-downed striker instead of a full power Warlord. With a Paladin, they're still filling their role(defender) while doing water-downed striker.

Arakim

First Post
I would argue that Fighter is one of the best, if not the best. In the end all he needs is Str, and that means you have a second stat you can level and use for something else.

Wizard is also really good for x-classing for the same reason.

Solodan

First Post
I'd say any STR based class is best, since there 5(Cleric,Warlord,Paladin,Fighter,Ranger) of the 8 classes have a LOT of options for a STR based character.

Or, to take that a step further, a Brutal Scoundral Rogue is the best multi-class, since with str as a secondary stat, the BS rogue can pretty much do their striker thing, and choose 5 perfectly valid mult-class feats.

Gloombunny

First Post
It... depends on what class you want to multi into? On what kind of multiclassed character you're trying to build? This question doesn't make any sense. I'm confused.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I'd say any STR based class is best, since there 5(Cleric,Warlord,Paladin,Fighter,Ranger) of the 8 classes have a LOT of options for a STR based character.

Ranger really isn't a Strength based character, even for 2 weapon fighting. Strength doesn't hurt, but the key class stuff isn't Strength based for the most part.

It depends on the class they want to Multiclass into but Wizards are probably the worst for a number of reasons:
1) Low Proficiencies
2) Low Surges
3) Low Hit Points

Granted, they need only Int and they're allowed to choose their secondary stat but the above three reasons are very telling of a Wizard's weaknesses.

Here's a quick overview...
Cleric:
Str* - Fighter, Paladin, Warlord (Primary Stat)
Cha - Warlock, Paladin (not PS but beneficial)

Fighter:
Con - Warlock (not PS but beneficial)
Wis - Cleric (not PS but beneficial)

Paladin:
Str* - Warlord (PS)
Cha* - Warlock (PS)

Ranger:
Str* - Warlord (PS)
Dex* - Rogue (PS)

Rogue:
Str - Fighter, Paladin, Warlord (not PS but beneficial)
Dex* - Ranger (PS)
Cha - Warlock (not PS but beneficial)

Warlock:
Int - Wizard (not PS but beneficial)
Cha* - Paladin (PS)

Warlord:
Str* - Fighter, Paladin (PS)
Int* - Wizard (PS)
Cha* - Paladin, Warlock (PS)

Wizard:
Dex - Ranger, Rogue (not PS but beneficial)

From a quick, albeit very base, analysis the Warlord seems to be the best base class for Multiclassing.

Fedifensor

Explorer
It... depends on what class you want to multi into? On what kind of multiclassed character you're trying to build? This question doesn't make any sense. I'm confused.
I agree. You don't pick one class as a generic "multiclassing" class - you pick a class knowing it has synergy with another class that you want to multiclass into.

Some examples of good multiclass options:
* Fighter --> Warlord (use Str to hit with Fighter and Warlord powers)
* Paladin --> Warlock (use Cha to hit with Paladin and Warlock powers)
* Ranger (archery) --> Rogue (use Dex to hit with Ranger bow attacks, and Rogue melee attacks - Quick Draw highly recommended)
* Warlord (Tactical) --> Wizard (Int boosts Warlord powers, and used to hit for Wizard powers)

Andor

First Post
Here's a quick overview...

I'm not sure I followed your logic there.

By Class stats are as follows (Primary meaning it forms the base of to-hit rolls for powers. Secondary meaning it influences the effects of some powers/class features.)

Cleric - Str/Wis Primary - Chr Secondary
Fighter - Str Primary - Dex/Con Secondary
Paladin - Str/Chr Primary - Wisdom Secondary
Ranger - Str/Dex Primary - Wisdom Secondary
Rogue - Dex Primary - Str/Chr Secondary
Warlock - Con/Chr Primary - Int Secondary
Warlord - Str Primary - Int/Chr Secondary
Wizard - Int Primary - Dex/Con/Wis are weakly Secondary

Huh. Strength rules the roost. Every class except the Arcanes uses it as a primary or secondary. 5 out of 8 classes use it for a primary. 2 classes use Chr and Dex as primaries. 1 each for Wis, Int and Con. That seems to indicate that Dragonborn are strong multi-classers from a statistic point of view since they have a stat boost to the all-mighty str. Humans also of course, plus they have a 3rd at-will.

Chr and Wis are tied for most popular secondaries with 3 each, Int, Con and Dex follow with 2, and str brings up the rear.

Huh. Some interesting things to note there. Warlord and Fighter both have strength as their only primary so you'd think they were a strong combo, but they have no overlap of secondaries.

Cleric seems like a surprisingly strong multi-classing base, but what Cleric powers do you want to trade away? :p

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads