• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best Campaign Setting????

Ashy

First Post
Nightfall said:

Brannon, well if you sent in a submission for Creature Collection 3, you might get in. ;) If not...well tell you what, you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours. ;) No promises though!

Well, I sent in a dozen, so maybe... Hopefully my string of positive responses from Open Calls will not end here. BTW, my back scratcher is ready when yours is! :D

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Ashy said:

Well, I sent in a dozen, so maybe... Hopefully my string of positive responses from Open Calls will not end here. BTW, my back scratcher is ready when yours is! :D

Well then you got as good a shot as I do for getting in. I'm sure they'll consider yours.

GrimJesta

First Post
Well, I guess its my turn to chime in.

I cant say I dislike SL. I appreciate the meta-plot and gritty nature of the game. But I have to put Kalamar over SL and the other systems and Ill tell you why:

1) I find the nations to be realistically carried out in game design. The interactions, borders, politics, economy, etc are all very real world.

2) The cultures are cool. Sure Kalamar is like Rome, but not totally. Yes Brandobia is like dark ages France, but not completely. Theres alot of interesting ideas in the book for the cultures and theyre vibrant and real.

3) The support is awesome. Not only is the community cool and helpful, but the game books have really expanded the core setting book. The Players Guide was really cool, the VDH (aside from the anti-feats) was a godsend, the Atlas is beautiful, Fury in the Wastelands makes Orcs amazing, Geanavue was so damn detailed, and alot of the adventures rock. Add to the mix the up and coming Hobgoblin book (a major contender race in KoK), an equipment book unlike other equipment guides (so the rumormill has leaked), and a KoK monster book that wont be just another collection of fodder and you have a well supported world.

That being said, I do have a few SL books, namely the two monster books, and yes I do use them in Kalamar. I just remove the titan stuff from their descriptions and whatnot.

But my vote goes to Kalamar. The setting is amazing. The company rocks. nd the community kicks booty.

-=Grim=-

Lalato

Adventurer
However, Gamma World, now that is just plain fun and equal in fun for me as FR is. Sometimes there is nothing cooler than a mutant bunny with a flamethrower riding a old jeep across a vast wilderness running away from some stupid pure humans that think they are superior just because the bunny has long ears and a bushy tail driving a jeep.

GW is just plain awesome fun. It's a fairly basic premise, but you can do most anything you want with it. Very cool. I'll meet you on the shores of Lake Michigoom (sp?).

--sam

Dristram said:

What about Al-Quadim do you like over other settings?

What's Oathbound's appeal? Anything special about Scarred Lands besides what has already been said?

Why were you unsatisfied? Why wasn't it playable?

What kinds of dedail does FR have that other settings don't have that players can take advantage of?

I'm interested in your answers :)

I like Al-Quadim on a lot of levels. The fantasy Arabia style was pretty and let the adventures play through a lot of very different but appropriate genres. There was a sea-faring adventure, for instance, that featured everything from a Harryhausen-esque fight with a crab giant to a very medieval isle of talking animals. Felt more like story-telling than anything WW ever put out.

As a setting I really appreciated the enlightened vs. unenlightened dynamic. Good and evil were more personal issues. Status and the way you could influence provided the game with a role-playing rule unrivaled, in my experience, by anything save the honor system in Hackmaster. An entire campaign in one fractured empire was nice. All the races fit and had histories that made sense with each other down to the genie courts. Had great non-generic magic. Adventures could happen in cities, ruins, deserts, and the ocean, all my favorite places. All the class options, even the generic ones, felt interesting and challenging.

The lack of dragons and a cool meta-plot were the only arguable drawbacks in my eyes. That and my discomfort with 2e.

Oathbound appeals because it has the best meta-plot I've seen in a DnD game. Great classical references. A very cool city-scape nice fantasy races. Fun politics and a chance to use all the 3e rules I love even the ones that make no sense together. I like the artwork, the fact that they included a recipe, and the new vocabulary they created.

Scarred Lands brought out nice products early and while I am upset by how long a more or less comprehensive gazeteer was in coming, the fact that they went and made a setting out of the Hesiod pleases me greatly. mmmm, spells.

Kalamar had the opposite spin from SL for me. Gazeteer and big details came out first, all the rest followed. Made it hard for me to use in a really meaty way. If I had picked up more of the early adventures I might think otherwise. The way metahumans fit in also made no sense to me. Since they were so little detailed vs. the humans my players who played them had a really hard time getting into them.

FR highlights that concern. When I'm playing FR and the DM mentions a city from something like Silver Marches I can look up the city in my big ol FR book and have details to play with. When I say my characer is from Chult I can look up chult and have a wealth of details with which to flesh out dialogue and actions. Yet I still have enough room to detail new prestige classes and spells for my character. As a DM it's way too messy and constrained and incoherent for my tastes, but as a player I weep when looking at the poverty of most other settings.

thegreatbuddha

First Post
He's probably talking about Demihumans.

The reason that they are not as detailed as the human races is that kalamar is a humanocentric campaign, with most of the emphasis on the various human cultures' evolution, wars, and politics. Demihumans have, for the most part, been betrayed and taken advantage of by humans (Dwarves & halflings mostly), and thus tend to stay away from the human realms when possible.

Dristram

First Post
Re: Metahumans in Kalamar?

Outlaw said:
Okay, you lost me on that one. What is a metahuman and where are they mentioned in the Kalamar setting?
I wondered that myself. But I figured it was demi-humans...but now I'm not so sure. Maybe Psions??

Since I'm posting, I will add that I think Kalamar has a lot more to offer now with its many accessories:

Campaign Sourcebook
Atlas
Players Guide
Villian Design Handbook
Geanavue, The Stones of Peace
Fury in the Wastelands, Orcs of Tellene
Pekal Gazetteer
DM Shield
12 full modules

Much more than just the Campaign Sourcebook when Kingdoms of Kalamar was first released :) But I'd like to mention that all that is needed to run a Kalamar campaign is the PHB, DMG, MM, and KoKCS. It's fully playable without all the extra accessories. They are just there for added information for those who desire it for their settings.

I am realizing I never mentioned why I really liked KoK. What drew me to it was when I found out Hobgoblins were a major race in the lands (having two Kingdoms!) and Half-Hobgoblins were a new PC race! Then I bought the KoKCS and was dumbfounded by how richly detailed the world was. And not only that, the history of it made sense historically! Oh! And lest I forget...humans are not all the same race! Greyhawk had this, but Kalamar fleshes it all out much better.

Just for fun, I will reword what Dr. Strangemonkey wrote about FR for KoK since it fit so well with what I would say about KoK :)
"When I'm playing KoK and the DM mentions a city from something like Reanaaria Bay I can look up the city in my big ol KoK Campaign Sourcebook and have details to play with. When I say my characer is from Svimohzia I can look up svimohzia and have a wealth of details with which to flesh out dialogue and actions. Yet I still have enough room to detail new prestige classes and spells for my character." :)

Last edited:

thegreatbuddha

First Post
You forgot to mention the Atlas, Fury In the Wastelands, and the DM Shield.
-
-
-
-

Well, you didn't forget, but they're good enough that they deserve extra mention.

That shield is HUGE. our DM has a separate table for his KoK DM Shield.

The Atlas is the Holy Grail of Gaming

Fury In The Wastelands is too kewl for words.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads