• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best choices for a 9HD Polymorph Other

Quidam

First Post
Our party's been slugging it out with hill giants and ogres lately. Happily, my character just picked up his seventh wizard level and is going to be taking Polymorph Other.

Lovely spell, some might call it broken, but I plan on enjoying it. Now, aside from turing baddies into sheep, what are your fovorite choices for casting it on your local tanks, or, for that matter, on yourself once you pick up Poly Self?

Trolls are nice, as are Tall Mouthers from Monsters of Faerun. I'm limited to 9HD by my HD- what's the coolest out there 9 or under?

shilsen

Adventurer
How about a Green Hag for the tanks? Medium size with +1 Dex & +11 Natural Armor, so better AC than a troll. 19 Str too, so quite good in a fight. The size is also an advantage when you're castign it on your friendly halfling barbarian, since he can't take on a large form, such as a troll.

Last edited:

nameless

First Post
If you plan to polymorph yourself, the Annis Hag or Green Hag are quite strong. They get good speed, great AC, and high strength. If you don't mind less punch in physical combat though, become a sprite. Good flight, good AC, only catch is low Str.

Those are my suggestions at any rate.

-nameless

LokiDR

First Post
I played an air genasi, from Forgotten Realms, so I chose blue slaad :)

Seriously though, if you want a decent precast for your self, try gargoyle. Some natural armor, probably better stats, flight, and three attacks if you need to use them. Pixie is nice too.

Quidam

First Post
Interesting ideas... I was also looking at the 9 headed hydra. While extra limbs do not give extra attacks, its combat reflexes let each head make an aoo each round. Combine that with reach and you've got some interesting combats. Of course, it's rather large and hard to fit indoors... Bulettes are also pretty nice- the burrow can come in handy- but they're also rather big.

Also big, but quite nice are treants- 29 STR!!! 10' reach, their slam attacks deal 2d6+9 and they've got +13 natural armor. At first I thought you could only poly yourself to this one, as plants are immune to poly so you could poly other your tank back, but according to the T&B poly, you keep your type, so getting back shouldn't be a problem.

One more that's nice- Girallon.

Here's a question- how do you play items? It says that some types that don't use equipment have their equipment absorbed and disabled. It lists magical beasts, among others, but couldn't a sphynx keep goggles or a necklace? Do you call these case-by-case or do you just use the types listed across the board?

aurellius

First Post
If you have outsider blood and are playing with the books of eldritch might there is nothing like a Valiance Arcane Angel.

+5 Dex and +10 Nat Armor

Marcus

PS Book of Eldritch Might II

Monte's Stuff is VERY Crunchy! :D

Stalker0

Legend
Quidam said:
Interesting ideas... I was also looking at the 9 headed hydra. While extra limbs do not give extra attacks, its combat reflexes let each head make an aoo each round. Combine that with reach and you've got some interesting combats. Of course, it's rather large and hard to fit indoors... Bulettes are also pretty nice- the burrow can come in handy- but they're also rather big.

Also big, but quite nice are treants- 29 STR!!! 10' reach, their slam attacks deal 2d6+9 and they've got +13 natural armor. At first I thought you could only poly yourself to this one, as plants are immune to poly so you could poly other your tank back, but according to the T&B poly, you keep your type, so getting back shouldn't be a problem.

One more that's nice- Girallon.

Here's a question- how do you play items? It says that some types that don't use equipment have their equipment absorbed and disabled. It lists magical beasts, among others, but couldn't a sphynx keep goggles or a necklace? Do you call these case-by-case or do you just use the types listed across the board?

I'd play it as if the monster's manual gives it certain equipment, like certain creatures gets swords and such, then that would not be absorbed. Other stuff gets absorbed. Poly other is strong enough as is without even more power.

Quidam

First Post
Stalker0 said:

I'd play it as if the monster's manual gives it certain equipment, like certain creatures gets swords and such, then that would not be absorbed. Other stuff gets absorbed. Poly other is strong enough as is without even more power.

True, but even if the MM doesn't list a sphynx as having a magic necklace, it's plausible for one to have one. Likewise, a centaur would be able to use most equipment, but not boots or pants. IMC I'll just make the call on a case-by-case basis.

Found the choice for my PC, I think, though. From Faerun- Dragonkin. You pick up fly 40' (good), +7 nat arm, +4 str, +1 dex & con, and a reach of 10'. Since they're monstrous humanoids, you get all your equipment, and since their mouths are used to speaking draconic, spells aren't a problem. Look out, giants.

Shard O'Glase

First Post
A centaur can't wear boots or pants. Bah I say, you think I want to trod through filth like some wild animal. I wear boots and i like it, no stuipid clopping horse noises, no slime and muck on my hoves, Boots for centaurs. And pants of course we wear pants, do you have any idea how inadequate the rest of you would feel if I didn't wear pants. Boots and pants for the centaurs of the world.

Saint Brendan

First Post
The Faerun Dragonkin is a good choice. My cleric of Bahamut (Dragon God) miracled a polymorph other to make himself into a platinum scaled version for cosmetic reasons. However, the wings, natural armor, and other bonuses are a big plus!

Remove ads